JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Apex PD-10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsysblh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Apex PD-10 Reply with quote

Not sure this is a code search issue, but I thought I'd start here.

I have an Apex PD-10 Portable DVD player.

The arrow keys are accessed via a Shift code that puts the player into shift mode (It says SHIFT ON on the screen) and then 3, 6, 8, and +10 are the up left right and down functions. Enter is 7, angle is 1 and zoom is 2.

I have captured the codes and built my own upgrade, so I have the 32 keys mapped from the original remote.

Now, is there any way to code the arrow keys to send 3 codes. Shift, function, Shift ?

A macro is probably overkill, and would at least need to be device specific. The protocol is just NEC1 device 0. How easy would it be to write a custom protocol? This is the weirdest way I've seen to deliver a small remote and expand the functions.

I've done a few searches for codes and haven't found much specific to the PD-10. There may be unique EFCs to do what I want. Is there an efficent way to scan a large range of EFCs to see if they do anything? I've been looking at the active ranges and assigning 10 keys to random unknown codes in those ranges for testing.

The poor mans way is to just recode the arrow keys as the normal key and remember to manually shift first. I can probably do a bit better than that.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which UEI remote are you using?

I think a DSM (Device specific macro) is the best way. Several models of remote have extenders that make DSMs much easier (than the stand alone DSM protocols).

Rob and I have both writen custom protocols that do mini macros. I'm sure a few others also know how. But it isn't easy. General tools like extenders and DSMs make more sense.
nsysblh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8810w

Yes, I could do it in the extender. I'd like the option to use the extender or not for base functionality. Not that a portable DVD player necessarily counts as my base functionality. I'm just progressing thru my inventory looking to solve problems with everything I have as I go.

I'm hoping I find a single code for each function that "just works" once I analyze the function groupings from Code List in KeyMap master. I pretty much managed to do that to map every TiVo code possible last night. (Can go straight to NowShowing with a single button) So it isn't too hard to scan for non-standard codes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Apex PD-10 Reply with quote

nsysblh wrote:
I have an Apex PD-10 Portable DVD player.

The arrow keys are accessed via a Shift code that puts the player into shift mode (It says SHIFT ON on the screen) and then 3, 6, 8, and +10 are the up left right and down functions. Enter is 7, angle is 1 and zoom is 2.

Now, is there any way to code the arrow keys to send 3 codes. Shift, function, Shift ? How easy would it be to write a custom protocol?

Good news, it's already been done, for the Apex 1100w.

Here's what you do. Open up the upgrade that you created, using KM and change the selected protocol from NEC1 to "Apex 1100w". Enter 0 as the device code and enter the OBC for the SHIFT button on the next line.

Next go to the Functions sheet. If you entered the codes using EFCs, press the SWAP button to switch to OBCs. Now create new entries for the four arrow buttons and make their OBCs equal to the OBC for the appropiate number button plus 128.

For example, if the OBC for the "2" button is 5, the OBC for the UP ARROW button would be 133 (ie, 128 + 2).

When you're done, be sure to load up your upgrade file into the DVD folder. (And it looks like the PD-10 might use the same code as the PD-650 that's already there in the folder.
nsysblh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it. Thanks.

Is there some guidelines on what you are looking for in the uploads? I'll have several things to contribute as soon as I type a few more comments in. I'm trying to document in the appropriate places for my own sanity if nothing else.

For instance, do you care what the Device Type and Setup Code are set to? I have just been choosing whatever I feel like at the moment.

Do you care how the buttons tab is laid out? I've been setting that up based on my specific needs, too.

It isn't difficult at all to set that stuff up. However, you probably have some suggested way to leave it to cause the least problems in the long run.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device type and setup code is user optional. "Convention" is to add 1000 to a ueic setup code if less than 1000, and it's just a "remake".
Device type is also up to you, although most people tend to use a device type that maximizes "legal" buttons and lessens keymoves. This generally means in most remotes a selection of cable or vcr. However, what you choose is your free choice, the next user can always change it, just like he can choose his own setup code scheme.

It's best to list all the functions and their values on the functions tab, even if you don't personally use them all in your personal upgrade. That's not to say you're required to make an exhaustive search, just don't knowingly leave any out.

You're also free to assign to any button as you see fit. The next user is always cautioned to examine and rearrange to his own personal tastes anyway.

The thing is it's YOUR upgrade from your work, and posting it is a "guide" to someone using it. As long as it has the functions and their values, that's all that really matters. they aren't intended to be precanned "perfect" upgrades that's going to make everyone totally happy. As long as your happy with it that's what matters. Freebies are take it as you get it, you can always adjust it. A guy missing an oem remote, or who doesn't have a learer should be happy to just get something he can use, even if he has to modify it a little to satisfy himself.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with what Jim said.

However, regardless of how you set this up for your own personal preferences (like using SAT mode instead of DVD mode if it gives you more buttons, etc), it would be nice if you make the version that you upload as conventional as possible.

For example, if the device is a DVD player, select DVD as the device mode.

As for the setup code. If it's based on a UEI code (which is not the case here) then adding 1000 is the convention, otherwise just call it whatever you like. Typically, people base it on the model number. For example, I used DVD/0715 for my Raite AV715

We do ask that you include all the functions in the Functions sheet, even if they are functions that you don't use. If you have discovered EFCs for additional functions that are not included on the original remote, please include those also.

For the Buttons sheet, while it's up to you how you assign the buttons, I would recommend that you use the most logical layout for the file that you upload. For example, you may chose to assign something other than the number functions on the number buttons for your personal upgrade, but for the upload file it would be nice to program the number functions to the actual number buttons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: