JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need device to deal with memory full learning problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Need device to deal with memory full learning problem Reply with quote

Has anyone invented a contraption to connect jp1 cable to USB flash memory stick so that in the absense of a laptop+IR, learned eeprom memory could be pushed to the stick into some goofy-named files Question
I just gathered codes from two devices which required four downloads to IR due to mem full problem. I'm serious. Remotes these days have 60+ buttons. It just doesn't all fit in one shot.
BTW, I know it's impossible Rolling Eyes , but I've seen impossible things overcome in the jp1 world, so I thought I should ask.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about this problem a while back and my proposed solution was for someone to write a learning-only extender for a URC-8811 that has been modified to have 8k of memory (or maybe even more). The idea never got off the ground though.

I expect that John is too busy to write such an extender, but it might be a good project for some other budding extender writer.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Need device to deal with memory full learning problem Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
a contraption to connect jp1 cable to USB flash memory stick
The problem with USB is that you require a Master device (i.e. PC) to drive the Slave device (i.e. flash stick) so there isn't any real option for what you envision. Sad
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I expect that John is too busy to write such an extender, but it might be a good project for some other budding extender writer.

I got part way through that project long ago before giving up (leaving nothing in an understandable enough form that even I could pick it up again). It was harder than I thought.

When/If I have more time to look at bulk IR capture topics, I'd rather focus on improving the DecodeIr connection of some direct_to_the_printer_port capture method.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I'd rather focus on improving the DecodeIr connection of some direct_to_the_printer_port capture method.
Except in this case I think everyone is talking about an option for when the PC isn't available, like those trips to the local Circuit City with your trusty JP1 remote in tow. Very Happy
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Except in this case I think everyone is talking about an option for when the PC isn't available, like those trips to the local Circuit City with your trusty JP1 remote in tow. Very Happy
How about modifying a remote so that you can plug in the EEPROM. That way, you could take several EEPROMs along with you to CC. 8)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
How about modifying a remote so that you can plug in the EEPROM. That way, you could take several EEPROMs along with you to CC.

Better yet, just take a battery powered soldering iron along with you and use it to mount the new EEPROM chips!
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
The problem with USB is that you require a Master device (i.e. PC) to drive the Slave device (i.e. flash stick)

OK. How about those memory cards people use in digital cameras? Could we piggy-back onto whatever drives that from the camera end? My laptop has a card reader. I've never used it and have no idea what's involved, but maybe ???

The Robman wrote:
... write a learning-only extender for a URC-8811 that has been modified to have 8k of memory ...

I like that one.
Bottom line looks like someone has to invent more time for John Fine Smile

johnsfine wrote:
I'd rather focus on improving the DecodeIr connection of some direct_to_the_printer_port capture method

John, better than nothing, but my idea, and it looks like Mark is on the same page, is to be independent of computer during learning. In Circuit City stealing codes, relatives' house, or someplace. Just a remote and couple batteries in your pocket. Inconspicuous if possible.

Mike's idea of plugging something into a remote ... that too is cool.
BTW, thanks for taking this seriously, I thought I was completely nuts Laughing
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
plug in the EEPROM
IIRC, the 6012w had provisions on the PCB for a standard DIP chip, so one could just solder a chip socket in there, hack a hole in the remote, and voila!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I thought I was completely nuts
Thought??? Surprised
classicsat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, since the JP1 connector has all the pins of the EEPROM, one could make a number of plug in modules, each with their own eeprom, which plug into the JP1 connector, with the stock eeprom disabled or removed.

Along with the original line, one could have a microcontroller read the JP1 to a file on an external memory device, such as a large EEPROM or CD/CF or whatever can easily be addresed in low level software.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classicsat wrote:
Actually, since the JP1 connector has all the pins of the EEPROM, one could make a number of plug in modules, each with their own eeprom, which plug into the JP1 connector, with the stock eeprom disabled or removed.
That's a nice idea, but you'd still need a PC or some other stand-alone device to power/drive the JP1 interface. And if you're connecting an EEPROM to the JP1 connector, you can't connect it to a remote which is still the best way to learn IR signals in the JP1 world.

An 8k (or larger) learning-only extended remote still seems to be the best, easiest, and cheapest method of portable IR capture (without the need of a PC). The hardest part of this is convincing John or one of the other extender writers to write the extender.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
classicsat wrote:
That's a nice idea, but you'd still need a PC or some other stand-alone device to power/drive the JP1 interface. And if you're connecting an EEPROM to the JP1 connector, you can't connect it to a remote which is still the best way to learn IR signals in the JP1 world.
Actually, that could work just fine, as power & ground are also on the JP1 connector. And you'd only need to connect to a PC to read back the contents later. For that, you could have a JP1 "Y" connector so you could plug in both the EEPROM module & the PC at the same time.
classicsat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need a y adaptor, just a butt adaptor, a PCB with two 6 pin connectors, one for the EEPROM module, one for the JP1 interface, and a 2 or 4x AA holder (to power the eeprom and interface).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: