JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remap memory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Remap memory Reply with quote

I am using a URC-8811 with extender 3. I made extensive use of device multiplexer and have found that most devices need an upgrade due to not all functions are preprogrammed. I have ran low on upgrade memory but have lots of key move/macro memory left is there a way to map this to upgrade.
What are my options? I have deleted all unnecessary protocols but would like to use toad tog but am short a few bytes
Or can someone list a part # for an 8k eprom
and would that fix my problem.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8k eeprom would fix the problem (more than double your upgrade memory, despite most of the added memory going to KeyMove space). But that seems harder than some alternative.

It is possible (changing both the extender source code and the RDF file) to adjust the boundary between upgrades and KeyMoves.

That introduces a small risk that while you are operating with the extender deactivated the remote will "go insane" and need to be loaded differently from IR. Assuming the only key you will press while the extender is deactivated is the power key (to activate it) the risk is quite small.

Are all your device upgrades really required? I understand that when you share a device mode (using device multiplexor) you can't massively patch a device with keymoves. But don't you have unshared device modes? And isn't there at least one of those that could be built from KeyMoves on internal setup codes rather than from upgrade?

If you want to post your .ir file (diagnosis folder) and an explanation of what it contains and what extra it ought to contain, I'll probably have some good ideas on how to cram more in.

Each time this subject comes up, I repeat the fact that there is a practical (I think simple) design for a change to IR.EXE that would allow upgrades to overflow into other areas without changing any extenders (or even needing one) nor changing any RDFs, nor risking the remote going insane, etc. Mark hasn't yet been convinced that it is important enough to justify his donated time to do it (since it's his time to donate or not, the rest of us can't make that decision).
Chester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can use key-moves on unused device modes but that is not the preferred way.
Yes all the upgrades are required. And would like to add more.
+ I have two protocol upgrade (displayer 02 and RCA) to fix the slow button
response. I will upload my .ir file to the diagnostics folder and have a look.
Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. But the extender mod sounds good fir me as it s active 100% of the time (other than first boot).
Also eprom replacement does not scare me.
Thanks for the quick reply also.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If changing the EEPROM is an option for you, go for it.

But, if you have some devices where you created an upgrade simply because the built in code was missing several buttons (and you're not using a protocol upgrade), then you could delete this upgrade and use the built in code instead. You would then fill in the blanks with keymoves.
Chester

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i will have to re-visit the key move option
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: