JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HDTIVO Slow to respond
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cosmok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: HDTIVO Slow to respond Reply with quote

I just added an HDTiVo alongside my old style Directivo. The unit codes work fine but the HDTiVo is reluctant to respond to any of my one for all JP1 programmed remotes or even the OEM TiVo remotes. It works great with a Harmony remote. Any idea what magic goes on with the harmony to make it work? Are there any fine tuning capabilities to the protocol or is it the hardware?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wassup Cosmo? Is this really your first post?

I have no idea why the Harmony would work properly whereas the other remotes don't, but I have an idea what you can do to help us find out.

Do you have a JP1 learning remote in your collection? If so, try learning the signals from the Harmony when it's in Tivo mode then try using the learned signals in the JP1 remote to see if they perform as well as the Harmony.

If they do, post the resulting IR file here in the Diagnosis Area for us to look at (and post a link to it, so we don't have to search for it). We can probably tweek the Tivo protocol based on that file.
Cosmok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Link to IR file Reply with quote

Here is a link to the diagnosis file just look at the learned codes for the SAT device is my HDTiVo

Harmony tivo learned.ir
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rob hasn't gotten to this, here's my analysis. It's One data frame and One null repeat frame only. I'm pretty sure that in an OFA remote (and probably the OEM remote), that the null repeat frame repeats as long as the button is held. All this assumes Cosmok learned with the technique of holding down the button on the Harmony until the OFA remote double blinked.

My theory is that the IR receiver in the gear is waiting for the frames to end before it executes. There are probably some keys like Channel+/-, Page Up/Down where you want repeat keys. Cosmok you could verify that by learning ch+/- .

The TiVo protocol is a derivitive of the NEC1 protocol that wants to see exactly 108 mSec frame lengths in both the data frame and the null repeat frame. The commands you posted have 108.3 mSec in every command for both frame types. Two of the commands have a second null repeat frame and a fragment.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested Cosmok's installed TiVo upgrade and the data frames are slightly longer 110 mSec and the null frame 109 mSec and the null frame does repeat as long as held.

I doubt that the longer frames are the cause so my original theory still looks good if they were learned the way I assume they were.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might test this protocol:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 41 (S3C8+)(PB v3.11)
43 8D 31 8B 12 CF 44 08 08 01 1A 01 06 01 1A 03
31 D7 42 11 A7 08 B7 08 05 76 85 04 6B 0B 56 85
E3 56 00 DF B0 0D E6 06 9D E4 06 05 60 06 46 06
F0 54 C0 06 F6 01 04 FB 09 F6 01 46 46 29 0D 8D
01 49 8D 01 46
End

It repeats for the repeating vol+/-, ch+/-, etc and doesn't for the rest of the keys. I even took out the null repeat frame since it has no data and to be recognized the first frame does it all.

Just delete protocol 0041 in the protocols tab and add this one in IR.

Here is the disassembly of what I did:

Code:
Addr Code Label Op Op Args Comments REMOTE S3C8+

FF00 43 8D  DB 43H,8DH ;37.7 kHz 32%
FF02 31     DB 31H     ;3 dev, 1 cmd

FF03 8B 12  JR LFF17

FF05 CF     DB CFH   ;pf0:     11001111=devs,cmds,dev-cmd,OffAsTotal
FF06 44     DB 44H   ;pf1:     01000100=LI-same,1on-LO
FF07 08     DB 08H   ;pd00:    DevBits1=8
FF08 08     DB 08H   ;pd01:    CmdBits1=8
FF09 01 1A  DW 011AH ;pd02/03: 1-burst on=564 uS
FF0B 01 06  DW 0106H ;pd04/05: 1-burst off=564 uS
FF0D 01 1A  DW 011AH ;pd06/07: 0-burst on=564 uS
FF0F 03 31  DW 0331H ;pd08/09: 0-burst off=1674 uS
FF11 D7 42  DW D742H ;pd0A/0B: Leadout off=110212 uS
FF13 11 A7  DW 11A7H ;pd0C/0D: Leadin on=9038 uS
FF15 08 B7  DW 08B7H ;pd0E/0F: Leadin off=4502 uS

FF17 08 05     LFF17: LD   W0,R05
FF19 76 85 04         TM   R85,#04H
FF1C 6B 0B            JREQ LFF29
FF1E 56 85 E3         AND  R85,#E3H
FF21 56 00 DF         AND  R00,#DFH
FF24 B0 0D            CLR  R0D
FF26 E6 06 9D         LD   R06,#9DH
FF29 E4 06 05  LFF29: LD   R05,R06
FF2C 60 06            COM  R06
FF2E 46 06 F0         OR   R06,#F0H
FF31 54 C0 06         AND  R06,RC0
FF34 F6 01 04         CALL 0104H
FF37 FB 09            JRNC Down1
FF39 F6 01 46         CALL 0146H
FF3C 46 29 0D         OR   R29,#0DH
FF3F 8D 01 49         JP   0149H
FF42 8D 01 46  Down1: JP   0146H

Cosmok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Additional File Added Reply with quote

I tried the changed protocol -- It seems to work really well for the old Tivo so I think we are on the right track, Unfortunately the change for the HD was slight if at all.

I uploaded another file with more keys and some that repeat like FF

http://yahoo.groups.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/Harmony%20tivo%20learned%202.ir

Thanks a ton for your help. As some additional background, this remote and the OEM remote seems to work better when its pointed below the IR receiver as crazy as that sounds.

See this thread for more background

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-176769.html
Cosmok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Forgot CH+/- Reply with quote

Forgot CH+/- in the last file, use this one please:

http://yahoo.groups.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/Harmony%20tivo%20learned%203.ir
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cosmo,
When you use learned signals from the OFA remote, does the HD Tivo respond as well as if you were using the Harmony? Did this problem only start when you re-program the two Tivos to respond to seperate unit codes?

Btw, we have a new file section here now (see the link at the top of the page) which is easier to use than the Yahoo one.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmok,

Read the sticky posts about posting to Yahoo files. Those links expire in a short time.

How does the new protocol work with the HDTiVo?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I borrowed heavily on your $005A annotated disassembly to make that change. Maybe we should try the data frame and one null repeat like the harmony was doing. I dont know what the call to 0149H does. I'm guessing the alternate leadout.
Cosmok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: HD Remotes Reply with quote

The new protocol seems slightly better or the same. Unit codes have no impact. The OEM remote that came with unit is just as bad as the OFA remote. See the link to the TiVo forum in my prior post.

The Harmony remote works great for everyone but its difficult to use and program and is basically a overpriced hockey puck IMO.

Its also important to note that all my units are behind closed doors with the signals routed by xantech. All remotes are marginally better when sent directly to the IR window on the TiVo. I have a variety of xantech IR receivers none are better than any other in responding to the remotes. The harmony works well with any of them.

I also have an IRMAN (i think the spelling is right) that I can use to capture the IR from the harmony if you tell me what program to use and what file to capture or I can UPS the Harmony to you if you have a better tool to analyze.

I moved the latest file to this forum

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1356
Cosmok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Continued..... Reply with quote

I forgot to answer, the learned codes on the OFA are better than the standard protocol but not as good as the harmony. The difference there appears to be hardware. The harmony seems to have a brighter broader IR dispersal pattern. I can point it at the wall away from the unit and it still works. I'm going to order an RF OFA remote and see if that helps.

Can the RF connect directly to Xantech or do I need to paste the sender to the window?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmok,

The learned commands in the last link you posted work better than the OEM remote and the device upgrade with either of the TiVo protocols, right?

If so, all those commands have the classic NEC1 repeating null frame as long as the button is held. So my previous theory is probably all wrong.

I have an IRMan and I don't think it can tell us anything that the OFA learned signals can't. The OFA remotes are actually very good and accurate learning devices.

My new theory is either frame lengths or interference. I have seen a few devices using the NEC1 protocol (from which the TiVo is derived) that are incredibly picky about frame lengths. Those sorts of issues can easily be further distorted by IR distribution systems. It is also possible to get a multi-path signal and have two commands that are offset by some small fraction of time and confuse the IR receiver in the TiVo. I'm not sure RF will solve the problem and could add some new variables. But, much of this is "art" rather than "science."

It is also possible to get noise in an IR distribution system from lighting, plasma displays, and on and on. let me look at the commands in detail and I'll try tweaks to the timing in the protocol first.
Cosmok

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Thanks for your help. I sort of ruled out interference because, first other users are having the same problem, second no other devices are affected and third the harmony remote works fine. I can easily isolate this leg of the xantech system to limit potential interference and give it a try. I will also try the new protocol directly into the front of the HDTiVo.

The curious thing is that the original factory remote shows the same symptoms and that my other older TiVo that appears to use the same IR hardware is not affected. It is most likely a software problem on the DirecTV end with the HD box but their only solution is to swap boxes and remotes which doesn't solve my problem since I don't want their remote and my box is heavily "upgraded".
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: