JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do I set discrete input codes for RCA TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usvs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: How do I set discrete input codes for RCA TV Reply with quote

I have an RCA 34" HDTV (D34W20) and a panasonic Replay remote. The TV responds when set to device TV_0047.

I was able to set the remote with advanced codes (using 9-9-4) for Discrete On = 227 and Discrete Off = 219, both of which work great.

Now I would like to set the remote for discrete commands to set the Input. The TV has inputs Video1, Video2, Comp1, Comp2, Frnt and DIV(HD). Is this possible? If so, where can I find these advanced codes?
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks possible, but I think you'll need a jp1 cable to do it. I looked in the device upgrades and Rob has compiled a list of all RCA TV/HDTV commands. I see discrete input selection, but I don't think these can be input via advanced codes. To my untrained eye, it looks like they're a 2-byte command.

Can an expert help out?

jeff
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, it really helps when you mention any downloadable file in a post to take an extra moment and provide the URL so we're not guessing which file you meant.

I'll guess you mean RCA-TV's All commands

You don't NEED two byte hex for those commands.

Any command listed in that upgrade with 15 in the dev column can be used as an ordinary EFC (the one listed in the EFC column) with TV/0047

The commands listed with dev numbers other than 15 (which are most or all of the commands wanted here) are normally done as EFC keymoves using alternate setup codes. You can't use TV/0047 to build the KeyMove but you can define a key to use that keymove within a device mode that otherwise uses TV/0047.

The hard part (without JP1) is knowing which setup code to use for which RCA device number. I'm not all that sure about what RCA setup codes are in the panasonic Replay remote.

I think device 7 is SAT/0392 and device 5 is DVD/0522. Beyond that I have no clue if there even are any setup codes.

Once you know the setup code you can change a device key to use that setup code, then define the keymove, then change the device key back to using the setup code you want for its own device. The keymove remains tied to the setup code that was used as its source when it was defined, and isn't affected by later changes in the device key's setup code.

For example:
1) Long press of setup
2) 992
3) SAT TV TV
4) Long press of setup
6) 0392
7) Long press of setup
8) 994
9) Short press of setup
10) 227
11) press the key on which you want that input select
12) Long press of setup
13) 992
14) TV TV TV
15) Long press of setup
16) 0047

That temporarily changes TV to be SAT/0392, then defines a keymoves, then redefines TV to be TV/0047.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I'm not all that sure about what RCA setup codes are in the panasonic Replay remote.

The Panasonic Replay remote is the same version of the Cat34 remote as the regular Replay remote, so you can see what setup codes are included using my devices.xls spreadsheet.
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that John. But the OBC's and EFC's are the same for the discrete device inputs:
Typical Discret Inputs
device EFC byte2 EFC HEX
SAT 058 7 227 7F 3A
CD 058 8 227 8F 3A
MISC 058 11 227 BF 3A
Component 058 5 227 5F 3A
DVD S-Vid 058 13 227 DF 3A
VCR 058 14 227 EF 3A

Alternate Menu 082 15 160 FF 52

So how do you handle that?

jeff
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where a alternate setup code exists for the RCA device number you handle that exactly the way I described above.

An EFC number does not have stand-alone meaning. An EFC number means something within a specific setup code. So EFC 227 in setup code SAT/0392 is one discrete input command while EFC 227 in setup code DVD/0522 is a different discrete input command.

Unfortunately, if I'm reading Rob's devices.xls correctly, the other RCA setup codes are missing from the Replay remote. I guess if you have a Replay they don't expect you to have a VCR so both the common VCR code 0060 and the alternat VCR device number 0202 seem to be missing from the Replay.
That means you were mostly right about JP1 being needed.
usvs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to information from Johnsfine and The Robman in this thread and information from Johnsfine and DrJoe at this thread (http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-pronto/thread.cgi?25375), I was able to successfully set the discrete input codes listed below.

The following works for my RCA/Thompson/DishNetwork 34" HDTV monitor (D34W20), with Advanced Codes (using 9-9-4) with device set to TV/0047:

Power On to Tuner Input = 227
Power On to DVI Input = 135
Power Off = 219
DVI Input = 094
Video 1 = 087
Video 2 = 095
Component 1 = 079
Component 2 = 247
Front Input = 071

These discrete commands work great. I had my MX-500 learn them from my old Replay remote, and now I can start creating some useful macros!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: