JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Change Scan/Fav key on RS 15-2117
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Change Scan/Fav key on RS 15-2117 Reply with quote

I realize the answer is probably right in front of me, but I can't seem to figure this out. How do I go about changing my Scan/Fav key to a different function? I have a working JP1 cable and have downloaded IR and Keymaster and have sat there staring like a moron. Please point me in the right direction. I promise I will read whatever info is necessary to accomplish this (I already have JP1 for Beginners).
I want my Scan/Fav key on my RS 15-2117 to do what the Fav key did on my TimeWarner remote (Millenium 4- cable setup code 0877). Thanks for your patience.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simpler way is to use the extender software, then you can have a KeyMove on any key including Scan/Fav.

For some protocols an alternative is to build an upgrade in KM using a "hacked" version of the protocol that has special code in it to detect when the 2117's stupid Scan/Fav function has been turned on and then turn it off and replace it with the command of your choice.

In some cases, KM figures it all out for you. You simply assign a function to the Scan/Fav key and KM realizes it needs the hacked version rather than the normal version and KM fills in all the details needed to make it work.

I stopped using KM in favor of RM around the time that was getting automated in KM, so I don't know the details of how/when that all works. (So far as I know, that feature was never ported to RM).

Try making an upgrade in KM without assigning a function to Scan/Fav. Look at whether a protocol upgrade is displayed and how big it is. Then assign a function to Scan/Fav. If the protocol upgrade gets bigger (or appears when it was invisible before) then this feature of KM is active for that protocol. Otherwise you'll probably need the extender.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, in KM if you select a hacked protocol (ie, one that we wrote ourselves) then KM will do all the work for you, all you need to do is assign a function to the FAV/SCAN button.

If you are using a built in protocol, but are not using the extender, you can use the "FAV/SCAN Programmer" special protocol which is included in the special-protocols spreadsheet.
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I have to do a little more studying as far as KM and special protocols go. I'm not even sure how to load this into KM but I'm sure it will start to fall into place. I downloaded special protocols.zip and I'm attempting to input the fav/scan programmer into KM. I'll post back as soon as I make some headway (or have more questions...which will probably come first Rolling Eyes ).
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The special protocols spreadsheet is independent to KM. It, too, requires that the user has excel. Their's 4 (I think I recall) special protocol categories. You merely select from the menu which you want to use. Input the selections in the blank bar areas, and the spreadsheet will generate a "device upgrade" and protocol upgrade to be entered in IR just as if you generated a device upgrade with KM or RM. The instructions for each special protocol will show up on the single page sheet, so just follow them. 2 other special protocols included on this spreadsheet are device toggler, and device multiplexor. Using the special protocols spreadsheet actually won't involve inputting anything directly(from it) into KM, but will IR.
Jim
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a dope I am! Embarassed Now I see the excel spreadsheet for the special protocols. I missed it the first time. Thank you.

I selected the special protocol (fav/scan) and my remote (15-2116) in the special protocols spreadsheet. Now comes the really stupid questions...where do I get the rest of the info from (ProtID 'xx', # Fixed 'y', and Btn Cd 'hh')? The command I want to put on the scan/fav key was learned from my Millenium 4 remote. Can I use this data somehow to fill in the above values? I'm sorry I'm so confused and thanks for the patience. Crying or Very sad
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure that this the best approach to this. Cable_0087 does appear on my list of native setup codes in the Mill4, but I've seen upgrades in these which used the same setup code numbers as a native one. Therefore, I suspect that T-W made and installed an upgrade to work their boxes. I have found this to be the case with the many Mill4's I have. Do me a favor, the Mill4 is a JP-1 remote, please download and save an IR.txt file and post it in yahoo JP-1, diagnosis folder. Then post back here that's it's uploaded there. Also indicate which Mill4 you have, either a B00 or B01/B04. Just so i can focus on exactly what you want the box to do, is it what they programmed to the "fav" key, or some other key (please specify which key)?

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Change Scan/Fav key on RS 15-2117 Reply with quote

rgiamp wrote:
I want my Scan/Fav key on my RS 15-2117 to do what the Fav key did on my TimeWarner remote (Millenium 4- cable setup code 0877). Thanks for your patience.

CBL/0877 uses the "Panasonic (Old)" protocol, id="00 00", which uses 3 fixed bytes of data. The EFC for "FAV" is 213 and the hex code is "FB".

(ProtID '00', # Fixed '3', and Btn Cd 'FB')

Which gives the following protocol upgrade:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 00 (S3C8)
00 00 31 76 7E 04 6B 0B 56 7E E3 56 00 DF B0 0D
E6 06 FB C6 C4 00 00 F6 40 11 50 C0 50 C1 8D 20 31
End

I should point out that you will need to create a device upgrade to use this protocol. This device upgrade would be a replacement for the CBL/0877 code. Also, if you just happen to have any other upgrades that also use the "Panasonic (Old)" protocol, they will also have EFC 213 assigned to the FAV/SCAN button.

I will load a KM file for CBL_0877 into the Cable folder for you.
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jamesgammel, I will still post that file to the group when I get home. I had already downloaded it tfrom the Millenium but didn't know what to do w/ it.
Thanks to The Robman!! I will load that file and give it a try.

PS- You guys are genuis's w/ this stuff. Thanks for all your hard work.
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the file in the diagnosis folder for jamesgammel. It is named twremote.txt . I'm not sure which version remote it is but you can view it at http://www.ueic.com/products/cable/m4.html . The key in question is the fav key as programmed from TW.
Let me know after you download it so I can remove it. Once again, thanks for your help.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I snagged it. Gimme a while and I'll let you know if T-W did something funky with it, I'm kinda caught between a couple different projects at the moment.

Jim
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please put this to the bottom of your list. It's a minor inconvenience for me and I greatly appreciate your help. There is absolutely no hurry.

In the mean time, I downloaded the file Robman put up, opened it in KM, copied it to the clipboard, and pasted it in to IR. I received a signature error message which I think is normal? and continued to upload to the remote successfully. After disconnecting my JP1 cable and testing the remote, same problem! The fav/scan key sends out it's pulse every few seconds and the channel increases one digit. Arghhh...what did I do wrong now?

Thanks to the beauty of the JP1 interface, I uploaded my original file to the remote and was back where I started (but dissappointed). Sad

PS- I noticed on the Buttons tab in KM (w/ the 0877.txt loaded), the Fav/Scan key is still greyed out. Is this to be expected?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgiamp wrote:
After... testing the remote, same problem! The fav/scan key sends out it's pulse every few seconds and the channel increases one digit.

Most likely, the remote doesn't allow use of the Fav/Scan button (it's one of those silly restrictions we always talk about).

Quote:
I noticed on the Buttons tab in KM (w/ the 0877.txt loaded), the Fav/Scan key is still greyed out. Is this to be expected?

Yes, that means that the Fav/Scan button is NOT part of the keymap and is NOT available for Key Moves.
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...makes sense. When I tried doing a key move manually (before JP1), it wouldn't allow it. It's a totally useless key in it's present state, but still a great remote.
sfhub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you save yourself some trouble and run extender2.

I went through the same process as you a couple of weeks ago. I kept
adding more and more special protocols to add functionality as I needed
it, but they all came with minor restrictions.

Eventually I just ran ext2 and it had all the functionality I needed
presented in a logical, easy to understand format.

Fav/Scan can then be useful again (among other things)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: