JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MFR RESET - Instructions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: MFR RESET - Instructions Reply with quote

As they never include instructions for doing a full manufacturers reset in the manuals for these remotes, I figured it would probably be a good idea to list them all in one place.

1) For most non-LCD remotes:

- Press and hold SETUP (might be labelled SET, MAGIC or P), 2 flashes
- Type 981, 4 flashes

2) For most Kameleon remotes:

- Press and hold SETUP (might be labelled SET, MAGIC or P), 2 flashes
- Press OTHER
- Type 981, 4 flashes

3) For the current LCD remotes (eg, URC-8910, etc):

- Press and hold SETUP until screen reads "CODE SET"
- Press RECORD
- Follow the prompts

4) For the RCA RCU810:

- Press and hold 'CODE SEARCH'
- Press RECORD
- Scroll up to MFR RESET
- Follow the prompts

5) For the Radio Shack 15-2107:

- Press and hold SETUP (ie, the green P button) for 3 seconds
- Then press and hold MUTE for 3 seconds
- Scroll up to MFR RESET
- Follow the prompts

6) For older LCD remotes (eg, URC-9800, 15-1995, Maestro II, etc):

- Unlock the Service Menu
- Restore Factory Defaults

7) For the Sony Tivo (RMT-V303) and DirecTivo (RM-Y809) remotes:

- Press and hold BOTH the Tivo and TV-Power buttons until the red LED stays lit
- Type 0981, 4 flashes (Note: the leading zero is required)

8) For the One For All URC-7780 / URC-7781 remotes:

- Go to Advanced Setup, press Enter and then LCD-Left so that the LCD displays RESET.
- With RESET displayed, type 981 and press Enter, 2 flashes
- Scroll to MANUFACTURING RESET option.
- Select it and press Enter.

9) For the Motorola DCP501R remote:

- Press and hold the VCR or TV device button until all the device buttons start flashing
- Type 981, the CBL button will flash 4 times

10) For the Xsight Color and Xsight Touch:

- Home, Settings, Reset, enter 981, Factory Reset
- If the remote is unresponsive, it may be stuck in firmware upgrade mode. To recover from that on the Xsight Color, press the Power, 1 and 3 buttons while putting the battery back in. On the Xsight Touch, press Power and OK while putting the battery back in. Then re-connected to PC and continue with the firmware upgrade

11) For the Radio Shack 15-100:

- Press and hold SETUP (might be labelled SET, MAGIC or P)
- CODE SET appears on screen
- Scroll up to RESET, click OK
- Type 981
- Follow the prompts

11) Some newer remotes (eg, URC-7145 Evolve 4, 2025B2-B1)

- Remove a battery from the remote and press a button with it removed.
- Reinsert the battery, 2 flashes
- Press the digits 2 and 8 simultaneously within 6 seconds, 2 flashes
- Type 981, 4 flashes

If your UEI remote doesn't fall into any of the categories above and it doesn't have a SETUP button (even with a different label), you might still be able to perform a factory reset. Check your user manual to see what the instructions are to program the remote, specifically you should look for instructions that include typing 99x type commands. The first step in these instructions usually involves holding down 2 buttons at the same time (just like with the Sony Tivo remotes in #7 above). Therefore, to perform a factory reset, you should hold those same 2 buttons down, then type 981. If that doesn't work, try typing 0981 (ie, with the leading zero).

Once you've determined how to do the reset, please post your findings here and I'll include it in this list.

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:44 pm; edited 8 times in total
mrGreg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: difference Reply with quote

what is the difference between "full manufacturers reset" and the "factory default settings" which is explained in the user's guide?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrGreg wrote:
what is the difference between "full manufacturers reset" and the "factory default settings" which is explained in the user's guide?
On the LCD remotes the former is called "MFR RESET" and the latter is called "OPS RESET". In non-LCD remotes, the former uses the 981 command and the latter uses the 980 command.

An MFR/981 reset will discard the entire contents of the EEPROM and will reset it to the factory defaults, so this is a very useful command if you have really screwed up your EEPROM contents, or if you have just installed a new EEPROM.

An OPS/980 reset will just delete your (a) learned signals, (b) macros and (c) keymoves. It won't erase any upgrades that are loaded in the remote, it won't change the setup codes that are assigned to the device buttons and it won't work if the EEPROM contents are corrupted.

Last edited by The Robman on Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
mrGreg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: mrGreg Reply with quote

oh fine that was just what i needed: i played around with my ufc 9960 and suddenly it wasn't more abled to learn new keys (even when i deleted old learned keys!) so i made the 981 reset and... simsalabim... everything works fine now! thanks!
joshville

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Motorola DCP501R remote has a button labeled "Setup", but its function is to enter the setup menu on the DCP501 box itself. Mfr. reset is accomplished by holding down one of the VCR or TV device buttons until all the device buttons begin to flash in sequence. Enter "981" when the sequence completes. The Cable button will flash four times.
m.mckernan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man talk about being lucky!

this is my first time back to this site in a while and I was going to ask about doing a full reset on my remote. From memory mine is the 2117 (the RF remote) and I tried to update it via my linux machine but the machine killed the memory in the remote in some way. All factory functions work fine but the remote wont learn anything new siting "mem error" or something of the like. Fingers crossed this reset will fix it....otherwise I will be buying another one from you Rob Wink
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're new to extenders (as I am) you may be surprised the first time you try to do a reset with an extender installed. Since the SET/SETUP button no longer functions in the normal manner, you cannot use it to execute any of the 9xx reset codes. You must first deactivate the extender (hopefully, you have a file to replace it) by completely removing power. To do that, remove a battery and press any button for a couple of seconds to discharge the storage capacitor in the remote.

Incidentally, this method of removing all residual power to the remote's processor is also something you should try any time a remote seems hung up and unresponsive.

Tommy
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On-topic comment:

Excellent observation, Tommy. Seemingly obvious to those who've used extenders for a long time, but not at all obvious to a beginner.

Off-topic reply:

Welcome to the wonderful world of extenders, Tommy! One would think that one who has contibuted so much to the workld of JP1/JP1.x hacking would have "seen the light" YEARS ago! (Of course Rob still doesn't use an extender! - how primitive Wink )

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Paolo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! The MFR reset code worked for me. I thought I messed up my remote and it was not accepting codes anymore. Don't ask me how I did that, but I have learnt my lesson.

BTW, I'm Paolo.. Pretty New here
Rogers 4250 HD Box
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, in your list under "For Older LCD Remotes" you have a link to instructions for unlocking the Service Menu, step 6 of which says enter 972 (or, if that doesn't work, 961). The URC-8550 (TopLine 8) appears to need yet a third number, 971, but it must be followed by Menu before you press Enter.

I had a lot of correspondence back in 2000 with OneForAll about this remote, and one of the things they sent me in the course of it was instructions for a Manufacturing Reset. I never tried them until today. Their instructions for that stage said enter 971, but this didn't work. A little experimentation showed that 971 + Menu DOES work. (That is 971, then Menu, then Enter - the Menu isn't instead of the Enter.

Graham
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I added it. Now, where did you get a URC-8550 Topline to play with?
sirjp1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Inteset INT-422 and the manual recommends 977 for a "factory reset" which just restores a saved configuration. This is because it comes loaded with some device upgrades and a 981 will wipe them. Not a big deal if you have a JP1 cable, the factory image is available in the files section or you can load your devices, but if you don't have the cable, you will not be able to program some of the MCE codes anymore if you do a 981.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirjp1 wrote:
I have an Inteset INT-422 and the manual recommends 977 for a "factory reset" which just restores a saved configuration.

I am interested to know what the command is for saving the configuration in the first place. Also, is there a password for saving/restoring? I ask because the URC-6440 appears to have a command for saving a configuration and giving it a four-digit password, but no corresponding command for restoring it Rolling Eyes .
sirjp1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
sirjp1 wrote:
I have an Inteset INT-422 and the manual recommends 977 for a "factory reset" which just restores a saved configuration.

I am interested to know what the command is for saving the configuration in the first place. Also, is there a password for saving/restoring? I ask because the URC-6440 appears to have a command for saving a configuration and giving it a four-digit password, but no corresponding command for restoring it Rolling Eyes .

I haven't tried it on my remote, but I would think 986 is it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands

With a JP1 cable though, saving a config in the remote is kinda useless to me, I just keep a backup on the computer, but I still lock the device setup codes so nobody messes with them by accident.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is yet another variant of the Factory Reset method. I have just bought a URC-7145 Evolve 4. I tried a long press of Magic and then 981 but it didn't work. An internet search gave the correct method:

1. Remove a battery from the remote and press a button with it removed.
    2. Reinsert the battery, the LED should blink twice.
    3. Press the digits 2 and 8 simultaneously within 6 seconds. The LED should blink twice and stays on.
    4. Enter the code 9 8 1. The LED will blink 4 times.
I have tested this and it does work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: