JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volume Lock on URC-9960
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Volume Lock on URC-9960 Reply with quote

I changed my CD device to control my DVD player. Strange thing is that ever since I have done that, the volume lock on the CD (now DVD) key doesn't work. I have VPT on for all devices in IR. Vol+, Vol-, and mute are not mapped for either the DVD or CD devices.

The 2 devices are identical (DVD and CD) except that I have phantom keys defined in the DVD device. Why would one device have the volume lock working, and the other does not?

I have also tried doing the standard volume lock using the setup key on the remote.

Any help is appreciated.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 9960 (and many other remotes) volume lock does not work for all devices. I think it has something to do with whether or not the device typically has a volume control. CD players typically do and DVD players typically do not so UEI took that approach.

The extender for the 9960 overcomes that restriction among others.
Flipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... when I make the CD device button control a CD player, the volume lock works. When the DVD device button controls a DVD player, the volume lock works. When I copy the DVD device over to the CD button, the volume lock stops working on the CD button.

So... the button can have the volume lock activated, but only when it is a CD?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=27170#27170
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VPT (without the extender) requires that the setup code's device type match the device key's default device type.

IIUC, you have a DVD type setup code on a CD device key.

You could make a CD type upgrade that duplicates all the functions of the DVD setup code. That would fix the VPT. But I'm not sure of consequences (in terms of which buttons light up) of using a CD type for a DVD. (If the right buttons light up, then it's OK, because the device type doesn't affect the way the actual signals are sent).

Alternately, use three KeyMoves instead of VPT, or use the extender.
Flipper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I figured it would apply. I have tried doing the keymoves in IR, but that didn't work. So... I figured I would try the extender. I like the fact that you can turn the backlight motion sensor off.

So, I downloaded everything that the instructions said to, and followed them to a T. Unfortunately, when I upload my results to my remote and activate the extender, the backlight goes out, and doesn't come back on without hitting a bunch of buttons. When it does come back on, it will either go right back out after less than a second, or it will start what looks like a macro (switching devices up at the top), and loop it forever.

I don't know what I am doing wrong. Here is a link to the original setup, and the extender variation. I ask that someone will look at this and try to help me through it all.

Again, all I wish to do differently than I have now is to get the volume buttons on the CD device to work, and turn off the motion sensor for the backlight. Thanks again!

Current Setup: http://www.spinningkitty.com/MiscStuff/5-28-05%20config3.IR or http://www.spinningkitty.com/MiscStuff/5-28-05%20config3.txt

Attempted Extender of same setup: http://www.spinningkitty.com/MiscStuff/5-28-05%20extended2.IR or http://www.spinningkitty.com/MiscStuff/5-28-05%20extended2.txt

Thanks again!
whompus

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick fix for your volume control in the file you have as current.
In keymoves change the cd device efc to be this.

volume+ 60899
volume- 60771
mute- 60675

This is the efc for your audio device. From looking at your ir file you seem to be wanting the receiver to control the audio for all.
Flipper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. I am wanting the audio receiver to control all the audio. Thanks for the numbers. Where did you get those numbers from?

Any idea as to why the extender wouln't work?

Thanks so much!
Flipper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... the numbers might be right, but volume control on the CD device still doesn't work. I am guessing that since I defined the CD device as a DVD device, that is keeping the volume from working, like someone else had said. Maybe I will work on creating a custom CD device that will control my DVD player.

Still open to other suggestions though. Smile
whompus

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why the volume isn't working for you. Did you change anything besides the efc #? I got those numbers by loading your file and looking at your audio device. It seems your receiver is kenwood.
Mine is kenwood vr series and uses the same efc's. I loaded your file in my 9960 and selected cd device to test it. It worked for me. But the audio device is the only one we have in common. Maybe one of the experts will see this post in a bit and have an answer for you.
whompus

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the extender. I can be no help with it. I would be like you and only want the sensor part. I had already removed the resistor to turn off motion sensing so I have not played with extender.
Flipper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I copied my DVD device over to the CD button, and it seems more and more like that is the problem with the volume. I was hoping to find a solution, but it appears that only changing that back to CD will do any good. So, I am about to try making a custom CD device with all the DVD functions on it. Maybe that will do the trick.

As far as the Audio, it is a Kenwood receiver. A VR-309 to be exact. Smile

Thanks for the help, and I will post back with my results.
whompus

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipper wrote:
Well, I copied my DVD device over to the CD button, and it seems more and more like that is the problem with the volume.

I don't really think that's the problem but I could very well be wrong. I think that kind of problem would come into play if the cd or dvd was what was going to control the audio, not the receiver.

If you want to test what I did I put it Here in diagnostic area It is just like yours with only the changes for the audio. Everything else is the same. If you do want to test it make a backup of your config before uploading this one to the remote.
whompus

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing we may be forgetting here. If you got the cd device hooked up to the cd in on the receiver then you are going to have to have the receiver on cd for it to work. The original upgrade has it set as phantom 4 if I remember right. I put it as a key move to input in that file if you test it or take a look at it.
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Changed my DVD device to a CD device for the CD button, and the VPT now works. All the buttons were the same for the two devices save for the "Audio" and "Subtitle" buttons. I just remapped them, and everything is now great.

I wish there was a way to disable that motion sensor without using the extender or physically cutting it off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: