JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

List of Radio Shack Remotes that are JP1???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: List of Radio Shack Remotes that are JP1??? Reply with quote

Hello,

As a total newbie, I am looking for a list of Radio Shack remotes that support JP1. At the local Radio Shack, the remotes are in blister packs so I cannot remove the battery cover to look for the connector. I am trying to find a simple remote that will cover 4 devices with fairly large buttons.

I bought an All-For-One from Walmart, and the connector location is present. However, once I got it out of the package, I was dismayed to discover how tiny the buttons are!! The power button is in a lower corner and is smaller than the end of a pencil eraser. How will I ever find that button at night?

Thanks.

---- Steve
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a list of JP1 compatible remotes at http://jp1.filebug.com/remchart.htm. The models that begin with 15- (such as 15-2116) are from Radio Shack.

Which One-For-All did you get at Walmart? I am not aware of any JP1 ready One For All remote that has the power button at the bottom. Some of the JP1-compatible-with-soldering remotes do, however.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the current Radio Shack remotes are NOT JP1 compatible. The only current models that are JP1 compatible are:

15-2116 - 8 device learning remote w/LCD screen
15-2133 - 6 device Kameleon
15-2138 - 8 device Kameleon

The current line of OFA models do indeed have fairly small buttons. If button size is the most important factor, I would suggest that you go with the 15-2116 from the Shack ($30) as this has reasonably big buttons.
banjo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the quick replies.

The One for All Remote I bought was the URC-6012W. I did not mean to imply that it had a connector. It has the holes for a connector. Being an old Sparky, I can easily add the connector, so I kind of glossed over that part.

The hunt continues. I only need a simple remote, but I need to program some buttons to switch between DVD and VCR which are in the same Philips box. Right now, I can only do this with the Philips remote that will not operate the TV and has way too many confusing buttons for some members of the household.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjo wrote:

The One for All Remote I bought was the URC-6012W. I did not mean to imply that it had a connector. It has the holes for a connector. Being an old Sparky, I can easily add the connector,

It's also missing the eeprom (and a jumper).

If you're good at soldering, I guess soldering the eeprom may be as easy as soldering the connector.

But I guess you don't like the button layout of the 6012. I don't recall how much better other models might be.
classicsat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look for an old Cinema 6 or 7.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buttons on the Cinema 7 are pretty small too.
banjo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, How about the RCA remotes? Is the RCU810 the only RCA that is JP1 compatible? I see several other families of RCA remotes in the stores. (Like the 400 and 600 series.) The buttons on these seem to be larger than the One-For-All remotes. Unfortunately, these are all blister packaged, so I cannot look in the battery door. Any one have any experience with these?
Thanks.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote chart I linked to above is the best place to check if a particular remote is JP1 compatible.

To the best of my knowledge, the RCU810 is the only RCA remote that can be used with JP1, and even then it requires modding.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the RCU810 is the only RCA-JP1 remote. There are OFA remotes that have big buttons, but these are usually the cheaper remotes that are not JP1-able, even with a mod.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Most of the current Radio Shack remotes are NOT JP1 compatible. The only current models that are JP1 compatible are:

15-2116 - 8 device learning remote w/LCD screen
15-2133 - 6 device Kameleon
15-2138 - 8 device Kameleon

Did you compile this list after the 15-2144 Kameleon 4-device came out? Does that mean that it isn't jp1 compatable? It looks like a good fit for a family member.
Jim
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the 15-2144. Does it have the jp1 pins or pads in the battery compartment?

If so, see if you can download to IR with it and post the raw file for us to look at.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one, but I saw it on the website here:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F007%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D2144
and was just wondering if anyone had looked at it yet.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard of the 15-2144 before now, but I do see it listed on the Radio Shack web site.

Based on the fact that the last 4-dev Kameleon, the 15-2136, was not JP1-able, my guess is that this one won't be either. Plus, given that all the new OFA remotes are going to use the non-JP1able Motorola flash chip, my guess is that this one does also.

So, if it's important that it be JP1, I would avoid it until I hear back from UEI as to what's what.

banjo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Target last night and they had several RCA brand universal remotes. They did not have any labeled "810". However, they did have one labeled "807". This remote has an LCD screen, supports 8 devices and according to the package, you can program macros.
Right next to this remote is the "800". The "800" remote has a very, very similar size, shape and button layout. My observations looking through the package is that the "800" buttons could be a subset of the "807". The "800" also supports 8 devices. (Apparently, the hundreds digit in the model number indicates the number of devices.)

Of course both remotes are in sealed blister packs, so I could not verify that either the "807" or the "800" has a JP1 option. However, given the physical dimensions, if the "807" supports JP1 there is a chance the "800" does as well, since they would probably use a common circuit board.
Pricewise, the "807" was at $36 and the "800" was at $16.

Assuming that Target still has "800" remotes on the shelf on the weekend, I may take a chance and buy one just to see whats inside.

---- Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: