JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PanTH-42PW6 Plasma Screen & SC-HT500 w/URC-8060 Kameleon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silron1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: PanTH-42PW6 Plasma Screen & SC-HT500 w/URC-8060 Kameleon Reply with quote

Hello - Am an absolute beginner with JP1, Have ordered an interface and eagerly awaiting delivery next week.
I have a UK Kameleon 6 URC 8060 but no codes for either of the 2 pieces of kit in subject.
The OFA helpline keep sending me codes to try that work 1 or 2 buttons but nowhere near the full array.
I read about JP1 and am hopeful it will be the answer.

My question is are there any ready made files availiable for these devices?
I have already downloaded the latest IR.exe file, Keymap Master file and the Devices4 spreadsheet. Following the Beginners Guide I also downloaded the Devices Spreadsheet but read the readme which states these files are very old. Is there a newer version? Sorry to trouble you with what must be such elimentary questions.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: PanTH-42PW6Plasma Screen & SC-HT500 Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
My question is are there any ready made files availiable for these devices?
Join the JP1 group at yahoo so you will have access to the files. It is free. The device upgrade codes are arranged by device (TV/VCR/SAT/...) I took a guess that the Plasma device must be a TV. It could have been a weapon from star trek or something you would use in a blood bank, but TV must be right: in the files/codes/tv folder at yahoo.jp1 there is a close match, Panasonic TH-42PWD5 Plasma.txt, which should work. As to the SC-HT500, um, what is that, and who makes it? I don't recall having seen anything like that in the device codes, is it new? Anyone heard of it?

Idea Opinions: would it help to have a "sample request form" for new users indicating what information is needed (like make/model/last oil change...) Smile ? There is a "code search FAQ" but it does not say anything about what to put in the request, such as make or model. I know this should be pretty damn obvious to anyone with half a brain to put this information in a code request, but hell if I havent seen at least five or six requests this week missing this information. Maybe this doesnt belong in this response to silron1's note, I better start a new thread.

Oh, welcome to JP1 silron1 ! Live Long and Prosper !
JP1Files
silron1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: sc-ht500 Reply with quote

It is a Home Theatre set up in a box by Panasonic with built in Panasonic DVD+ amp + tuner + sub-woofer and 5 speakers. there are 2 aux inputs for TV and VCR sound all controlled by the remote EUR7623XAO

The Plasma screen PW6 is a monitor only, no tuner, but with 3 slots for scart control boards or component inputs as wel as a VGA input ready for computer use. In fact a slightly different arrangement to the older PW5. When my interface arrives I will try the info you kindly gave me for the PW5 to see if it works - thanks
willcodeforbeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Panny 42PWD5 device file works well with a TH-42PWD6UY (or any of the "commercial" 6-series Panasonic plasmas). However...

To date, nobody has found the discretes codes for this plasma to select all the various inputs directly. There is a workaround. The 5-series code for selecting the PC (VGA) input works, so people recommend setting up a macro to select the PC input and send subsequent "Input" presses to reach the desired input. (I've also hear about a specialized IR-to-serial box that can receive IR commands and instruct the plasma to go directly to a given inputs over its serial port.)

Thankfully, the discrete power-on and power-off codes work great.

- Jeff
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silron, the URC-8060 is a learning remote, so once your JP1 cable arrives you already have all the tools you need to create your own upgrades.

If you're stuck, try learning a few buttons and then post the info here for us to look at.
silron1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for help todate- JP1 cable arrived in my mailbox (UK) within 4 days curtesy of Tom at Firebug.
With my Kameleon 6 have learned the codes for the Plasma from the original remote and managed to create a new setup code in KM which I copied to IR and uploaded as a new code for the Kameleon. - Works fine.
But!! but!! but!! am having real trouble trying to add some learned buttons to an existing setup code.
Before my cable arrived OFA Eorope eventually found and downloaded a suggested DVD code 1908 for my SC-HT500 but it did not work all the buttons so I learnt the missing ones with the Kameleon.
I have tried moving the buttons to Key Moves but it does not work for me. DVD 1908 shows as an added device in devices.
Do I need to learn all the buttons over again as I did for the plasma or is there a way of adding the additional button codes, approx 10, to the existing setup code 1908. There would be about 60+ buttons to learn if I have to start over.
I have read JP1 for Beginners, searched the posts but I seem to have missed this facility if it exists.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have three choices, delete the learns and learn them to buttons that you really want them on (here's where it pays to plan ahead). OR (a better option) use IR and it's decoding tool to decipher the efc's for each of those learns and put them on buttons of your choice as keymoves. OR (the best option), decode those learns, and make a NEW, CUSTOM upgrade that includes both the ones that you got from OFA (where you can see the efc's and their button assignments in "Devices Tab" if you click "DVD_1908, plus the decoded learns. As keymoves those buttons will use up 50-60 bytes of keymove memory; as part of a new upgrade including what you got from OFA and the learns will only add 10 or more (depending on the buttons you select to use, and the "type" to upgrade area (and maybe some to keymoves depending on device type/buttons selected). I'd opt for the third choice, then delete all those leanrs and the OFA upgrade.
You wouldn't have to start from scratch, you should already have all the data you need to make one streamlined upgrade.

Jim
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, you downloaded DVD/1908 so you have that upgrade in your eeprom.

You can see the EFCs in that upgrade in the devices tab in IR. There's no way to copy the whole upgrade to KM to start your own custom upgrade, but it isn't so hard to retype all the individual EFC numbers.

In constructing that upgrade, you can deduce the protocol/device/subdevice info from downloaded upgrade (devices tab), but it's probably easier to get that info from your learned signals.

If you don't want to build a new upgrade, you should be able to use the learned signals (assuming you don't need to free up the learned signal memory for something else). If they're on the wrong keys, Jim is incorrect you don't need to delete and relearn them. IR can change which key a learned signal is bound to.

I'm not sure what you meant by "moving the buttons to Key Moves". You can replace the learned signals with equivalent keymoves. That's a second way of using DVD/1908 rather than building your own. In those keymoves you must specify the EFC decoded from the learned signals by IR.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Jim is incorrect you don't need to delete and relearn them. IR can change which key a learned signal is bound to.

Incorrect? That isn't a legitimate option? His post indicates that he doesn't have his cable yet, not due until next week. Therefore right now JP-1 and IR aren't an option. Isn't that first option a legitimate way for a non-JP-1 solution that would work until he does get his cable and can use the other JP-1 tools to make a better fix? Manually he can't move them, or convert them to keymoves since with no cable he can't even view the signals or decodes. I think it does provide at least a temporary "fix" for his current situation.....the learns aren't on the keys he wants.

Admittedly when writing the post and his update being out of view, he does currently have his cable via filebug, but others reading and in the same situation could be reading this thread and being in a current non-JP-1 solution state.

Jim
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Isn't that first option a legitimate way for a non-JP-1 solution that would work until he does get his cable and can use the other JP-1 tools to make a better fix? Manually he can't move them, or convert them to keymoves

Sorry I misunderstood you before. I agree that without JP1 there is no way to reassign or move a learned signal.

Many people misunderstand the manual KeyMove process and think it can be used to copy a Learned signal or previous KeyMove from one key to another. It can't.

With IR.EXE you still can't copy or KeyMove a learned signal, but you can change which key it's bound to (which is what I thought you were saying wasn't possible), and usually you can use the decode of the learned signal to construct a new KeyMove.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

There have been several "still waiting on my cable" posts. Without a cable, that first option is actually the only viable one.

Secondly, I've been working through Yahoo messenger the past few days guiding a newbie top Jp-1 the "ropes" concerning IR, RM, etc. He has a 9960 with the cable and Pogo adapter. Now I know Rob has a solution for the awkward use by soldering, gluing in the header, BUT I can't say that either I or this newbie is 100% confidant that this is the way to go. Without doing this, it's very hard to keep all the pins in correct alingment with one hannd, manipulating IR, keyboard (and YM) with just one hand. I'm not exactly sure what he finally decided as a "technical fix", perhaps a dang rubberband. However, it does take him some 5-10 minutes to be "back to ready" just messing with the cable. it's not quite as simple and quick as inserting the IDC connector on a 2104, for instance. I also know that the 2133 at least provides a timely way to use a batteryscrew, freeing up that other hand. I'm not sure which way the 8060 requires, 2133 style or kludging something 9960 style. At any rate, if it's similar to the 9960, it's a PITA. If I was stuck in such a condition, I'd avoid using IR unless IR was the only way.
Thus, if it was me, and I was going to go the "use learns" rather than keymoves or new custom upgrade, manually deleting and relearning is actually less hassle and likely quicker. That's why i even mentioned that option. I did err, perhaps, in not covering every possible and conceivable solution, since your post concerning using IR to move the learns to other keys is yet a 4th option. I certainly didn't mean to imply that it wasn't. I am however guilty of non-thuroughness in presenting that option so I thus apologize for that.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Now I know Rob has a solution for the awkward use by soldering, gluing in the header, BUT I can't say that either I or this newbie is 100% confidant that this is the way to go. Without doing this, it's very hard to keep all the pins in correct alingment with one hand, manipulating IR, keyboard (and YM) with just one hand.

Just as a reminder, here's what I do with the URC-9960 (and you can't do this with the 15-2133 or the URC-8060 as you'd block the batteries):

1) Open up the remote and remove the black plastic framework that's inside. (To do this you need to remove the screws and then cut the tops off 3 or 4 plasic pegs that help to hold it all together).

2) Put some flux on the 6 pads, then stand a 6-pin on the pads and solder each of the pins in place. It's a good idea to start with pins in the opposite corners as this will help hold the pins in place while you solder the rest of them.

3) Get a hot glue gun and put a bunch of glue around the base of the pins to hold them in place.

4) Put the black fram back in place and screw the scress back in. Then close up the remote.
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we've come off my original post but to come back to it and the very helpful replies. To summerise I have now done the following

Built Plasma Screen PW6 (the code suggested for PW5 does not work with anything other than the PC vga input ) new Setup Code in KM from the learnt signals, only 18 buttons - no probs works well

Looked at all your suggestions and decided to start over for the SC-HT500 by learning the 38 buttons I need. - I then opened KM and typed in the EFC numbers on the functions page and then allocated the buttons on the button page. The only oddity I noticed was that some of the learnt signals indicated a different sub device. Whilst most showed device 160 notably power showed a sub device 28 and the number keys (0-9) showed 128 as the main device with no sub device.
I went back to the setup tab in KM and added 28 as a sub device.
The protocol name I put in as Panasonic as indicated on all the learned signals.
Setup Code I named DVD 0030. Copied eveything back into IR and uploaded to the Kameleon 6 which incidently has the same contacts position as the RS 2113 requiring holding the Pogo into the 6 contacts through a battery adaptor (ordered with JP1 cable) exactly as in the 2113

The sum of all this activity is that whilst all the learnt signals work correctly the new Setup Code 0030 only works the power button. I've kept copies all along the way and I could leave the learns in the remote but I would really like to know why the new code does not work.
silron1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to repost but I meant RS 2133 not 2113
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your remote uses one device code with a mixture of sub device codes, you will need to use the Panasonic Combo protocol and enter the sub devices in the byte2 column in KM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: