JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to rubberize OFA 8910 to make it tacky/tackier to grip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lousygolfer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: How to rubberize OFA 8910 to make it tacky/tackier to grip Reply with quote

I like the set up of my 8910 better than my 15-1994, but the 8910 is a lot slicker and more slippery to hold than the 15-1994. Can anyone recommend any product, other than perhaps rubber cement, that I could apply to the back of my 8910 to make it easier to grip (i.e., more like the rubberized feel of the 15-1994)?

Thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a product called egrips (available at RadioShack) that are big in the cellular and PDA world. The universals might work well on a remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to get the HTPro version of the remote as it comes with a rubberised lower half, somewhat similar to the 15-1994's.
Ellen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a product called egrips (available at RadioShack) that are big in the cellular and PDA world. The universals might work well on a remote.

Great tip Mark. These look like just the ticket.
lousygolfer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion on the egrips. However, buying a pack of those would cost more than I paid for my 8910 (got a nice deal on eBay).

I guess I'm going to contact some hobby, craft and hardware stores and see if they have any sort of rubber paint coating type product.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lousygolfer wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion on the egrips. However, buying a pack of those would cost more than I paid for my 8910 (got a nice deal on eBay).

You shouldn't use the price you paid for something as the true measure of it's worth. If you like the remote and have it programmed to do what you want, and spending a few extra bucks on the egrips will make it perfect, you should go for it.

I only paid $30 for my 15-1994 but it would take alot more than that for you to convince me to sell it to you! Smile
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Another option is to get the HTPro version of the remote as it comes with a rubberised lower half, somewhat similar to the 15-1994's.

I'd go with Rob's suggestion, the price of the HT-PRO has dropped to the below $20 on the web.
SilentBob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can the HTPro be found for under $20?
e34m5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it....are people sitting there watching a DVD or whatever constantly touching the remote.

We turn the system on, put in a DVD, select the volume and n ot touch the remote again until the movie is finished.

So why the big fuzz on the feel of the bubttons. Nobody complains that the keys on the PC keyboards are slick.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentBob wrote:
Where can the HTPro be found for under $20?

Its been a month, most are sold out now. Do froogle search on Google for "HT-PRO remote". I'm sorry, but I helped all I could in passing out the word on what a bargain it was. Very Happy
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:

I might need egrips for my cell phone.
I wonder if they hold up under normal conditions of abuse (drop, holster, pockets, etc).
Any long term experience in the jp1 land?
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want rubberized and cheap? Insert the 8910 into a large (unused) condom. I can't think of anything cheaper (but, as ever, I'm willing to be proven wrong here). Maybe, however, it's not just the feel but also the length Surprised , in which case the 6131 looks a bit smaller and easier to handle and it gets good reviews here.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
Maybe, however, it's not just the feel but also the length

I can't believe you said that, right after a sentence about condoms!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... (worms out of further prophylactic comments by becoming semi- scientific)...what I meant was that you often utilize the hypothenar muscles and ulnar-sided digits (minimus et annulus) in order to grip the remote, and the thumb (or pollicis) to actuate the buttons. With a long, thin remote such as the 8910 this can be a slippery experience turning an otherwise pleasurable daily activity into a difficult event, but with a short remote - such as the 6131 (or, indeed, the 8040 Kameleon) - this slipperiness is somewhat offset by the reduced excursion necessary at the carpo-metacarpal joint of said pollicis as the remote remains in firm apposition to both the hypothenar and thenar eminences.

In other words if you've got bigger hands the 8910 is fine but a shorter remote is possibly easier to use regardless of whether it is rubberized or not.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so that's what you meant, it's all clear now! Basically, you're saying that you like them "a bit smaller and easier to handle"! OK, I can see that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: