JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ReplayTV Series 1 virgin image?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eldie1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: ReplayTV Series 1 virgin image? Reply with quote

Hi-

My ReplayTV Series 1 remote recently died -- all of a sudden in ReplayTV mode it would no longer send any of the replay specific functions. After some digging around I learned that this is something that Replay remotes sometimes do, and I could repair it by building a JP1 programmer and running the relevant software.

I built the simple JP1 interface and upload the current eeprom contents of my remote. The upload reported a checksum error, which I attribute to the fact that the remote is in fact no longer operating correctly. I did run an interface check and IR says it is happy with the JP1 interface.

IR does recognize the remote as a ReplayTV / ShowStopper, so I think most of the information it got is correct.

Anyway, given all that, all I want to do is download a virgin image (factory default, whatever you want to call it) into the remote and see if I can get it to work again.

What is the path of least resistance for accomplishing that? Is there a file somewhere that I can just load into IR and then download to the remote? I've spent an hour or so messing around with the keymap- master spreadsheet (macros & analysis toolpack enabled) and haven't had much luck figuring out what sequence of operations to perform to get to where I want to go.

Thanks,

-Matthew
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. does this remote reset with 980 reset or 981 reset?

2. welcome! glad to see another replaytv user. i thought only myself and rob liked replay. everyone else seems to have a tivo Smile

3. I have one of these replaytv remotes in a drawer or a box somewhere. I will try to find it, but this may take a bit of searching. Someone may beat me to it.

4. After you fix your ReplayTV remote, just for grins, since you have the cable and the software already installed, spend $17 at wal-mart for a OFA 8810w (jp1 ready/learning/protocol/upgrade all enabled). You can always return it to wal-mart, they have a very generous return policy. Using JP1 you can put your replaytv functions on whatever keys you like, including functions like discrete on and discrete off that do not exist on your current replaytv remote. The replaytv remote had some key placements I did not like. For example, the zones button is next to the guide button -- my fat fingers would hit zones by accident, and then i would have to wait 3 seconds for the zones to load up before i could press exit. my zones button is now on the 8810w as a shifted-info button, so i never hit it. in fact all the keys i use alot i put near where my fingers easily reach them, and the ones i don't use much go on the buttons near the bottom of the remote. Also, with the 8810w you can do cool things like macros (for example, one button turns on everything; one turns off everything; one button pushes INPUT twice, turns on the cable box, and then tunes the cable box to channel 79, then starts the replay record process). The standard replaytv remote i do not think has macros. Using JP1, most of the functions have been mapped to the keys I want by creating a device upgrade rather than by keymoving or learning which quickly uses up the device's memory. By doing it as a device upgrade, these memory restrictions do not apply, which is yet another reason why JP1 is so popular. (end of advertisement for JP1)
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(from the files section at yahoo jp1) this file should work. Load it into KM, then in KM pick the replaytv remote from the drop down menu, then save the file, then copy the device box and protocol box into IR after picking the correct .rdf file in IR from the files/select menu.
JP1Files
eldie1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'm not sure what the appropriate reset code is. It doesn't seem to be documented in the ReplayTV manual. I was trying "987" the other night, but that was on the basis of something found on a web page, so I guess it doesn't mean much.

2. I'm a big fan of the ReplayTV interface, but no, there don't seem to be a lot of us out there.

I haven't had a chance to try out your instructions yet, but thanks for the pointers.

usblipitor wrote:
1. does this remote reset with 980 reset or 981 reset?

2. welcome! glad to see another replaytv user. i thought only myself and rob liked replay. everyone else seems to have a tivo Smile

eldie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Load it into KM, then in KM pick the replaytv remote from the drop down menu, then save the file, then copy the device box and protocol box into IR after picking the correct .rdf file in IR from the files/select menu.

First I loaded the ReplayTV.txt into KM.

Then I set the Remote to "Replay Remote" and I changed the Device Type to "PVR" (althought this change doesn't seem to affect anything. Next I selected Protocol Name as "ReplayTV (Official)"

Then I pasted the Device Code into IR. When I do the paste it asks me "VCR/DVD 0614 is not currently assigned to a device button. Would you like to assign it now? (INSTANT_REPLAY...)" I'm not sure why it is telling me this, because there is an INSTANT_REPLAY button on the remote, and it should be part of the Official Protocol. I answered "YES" and assigned it to "REPLAY". I'm not sure what this means. It is making that button part of the Replay move on the remote?

I then pasted in the protocl code, which didn't give me any surprises.

Finally I selected "Upload to Remote". At the end of the programming my remote blinks its LED once (shouldn't it be twice?) and still doesn't seem to be functioning in ReplayTV mode.

Things that I don't understand in this whole process, that might or might not have something to do with me not being able to program the remote:

1. Under IR I select "New --> ReplayTV/ShowStopper1" and it tells me under "Device Buttons" that REPLAY is of type Audio -- shouldn't it be of type PVR? Or does this not matter at all?

2. When I paste the device code, why does it say "Type: VCR/DVD" -- shouldn't it be OEM_MODE or something like that?

3. When I select "Download from Remote" in IR it looks like the device & protocol information it downloads matches what I uploaded, so maybe the programming was successful (even if what got programmed didn't make the remote work)?

4. The volume up/down and mute buttons don't seem to be mapped to anything.

Thanks,

-Matthew
eldie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Got it to work? Reply with quote

I think I may have it working. The path I took there is not what I would have expected.

1. under IR I loaded the initial download I did before I did anything else

2. on the General tab I saw that under Other Settings for each VPT device (what does that stand for?) the Value was "TV" instead of what I might have expected

3. I changed the SAT/CBL VPT device to be SAT/CBL

4. I changed the TV/VPT device to TV

5. I changed the VCR/DVD device to VCR/DVD

6. I changed the REPLAY VPT Device to REPLAY

7. I downloaed to Remote

8. The remote seems to be working again

I'm a little apprehensive the protocol code might still be subtley screwed up, because of the checksum complaint message I got when I first downloaded the code into IR.

I'm still curious -- any idea what I was doing wrong when I was trying to do this under KM/IR?

Thanks,

-Matthew
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eldie1 wrote:
I'm not sure what the appropriate reset code is.

The reset code is 9 8 1.

Quote:
I changed the Device Type to "PVR" (althought this change doesn't seem to affect anything. Next I selected Protocol Name as "ReplayTV (Official)"

For Device Type, you should use "OEM Mode" as that makes all the Replay buttons available. As for the protocol, I don't think you want to change what the ReplayTV.txt was set to.

Quote:
Then I pasted the Device Code into IR. When I do the paste it asks me "VCR/DVD 0614 is not currently assigned to a device button. Would you like to assign it now? (INSTANT_REPLAY...)" I'm not sure why it is telling me this, because there is an INSTANT_REPLAY button on the remote, and it should be part of the Official Protocol. I answered "YES" and assigned it to "REPLAY". I'm not sure what this means. It is making that button part of the Replay move on the remote?

By using the PVR Device Type, many buttons are not mapped and therefore use Key Moves. The message you're getting is because of that fact.

Quote:
1. Under IR I select "New --> ReplayTV/ShowStopper1" and it tells me under "Device Buttons" that REPLAY is of type Audio -- shouldn't it be of type PVR? Or does this not matter at all?

2. When I paste the device code, why does it say "Type: VCR/DVD" -- shouldn't it be OEM_MODE or something like that?

Since you're adding an upgrade, it doesn't matter. The type will match whatever you selected as the Device Type in KM, which is why you want to select "OEM Mode"

Quote:
4. The volume up/down and mute buttons don't seem to be mapped to anything.

They're not mapped in the ReplayTV.txt file. I don't think the Replay provides volume functions, does it? I thought you used your TV or Amp volume controls with it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: