JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HELP! - URC 8811 does not learn with 975. Tried everything!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatanka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: HELP! - URC 8811 does not learn with 975. Tried everything! Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

I already read all the posts related to this issue but my remote still doesn't accept the 975 code to learn other keys. Here is what I have tried:

Removed the batteries and pressed some buttons. Then, I shorted out the terminals for a couple of seconds.
Put the batteries back in place (The remote gave me two short flashes)
Performed a 981 reset (four short flashes this time)

Does anybody what the problem could be?. This is a kind of expensive remote control in this side of the world.

Thanks in advance.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to rule out the possibility that this is simply a case of user error, let's walk through the process.

1) Position the two remotes head to head.
2) Press the device button on the URC-8811 where the signals will be learned (eg, TV, VCR, etc)
3) Press and hold SET, 2 flashes
4) Type 975, 2 flashes
5) Press the URC-8811 button to be programmed.

At this point the URC-8811's red LED will start flashing very rapidly. While this flashing is still occurring, start pressing the button on the teaching remote. As soon as you start pressing the teaching button, the URC-8811's rapid flashing will stop, but you should KEEP PRESSING the teaching remote button until the URC-8811's led flashes 2 times.

6) If you have more buttons to learn, repeat the previous step.
7) When you're finished, press and hold SET one more time, 2 flashes

Please state at which point your remote breaks from the process outlined above, and please state what happens. You say "this side of the world" but you don't give us any indication of where that is, so maybe you should update your profile.
Tatanka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Thanks for your quick response. Actually the remote control manual indicates that the procedure to "learn keys" is (taking the steps you described) as follows: 1,3,4,2,5,6 & 7. Anyway, I tried both ways and this is what happens:

When I press the URC-8811 button to be programmed, the led starts flashing very rapidly but doesn't stop no matter when or how many times I press the button on the teaching remote (and tried several teaching remotes). After some seconds the led gives a long flash and then turns off.

Any ideas/suggestions?.

ps: I'll update my profile.

Thanks !
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many different teaching remotes have you tried? If you're just trying this with one remote, it's possible that it's an RF remote or that it uses an IR frequency that's too high for the URC-8811 to be able to capture it.

If you have several different teaching remotes you can experiment with (ie, the remotes from your TV, VCR, etc, etc) please do so. This will help us narrow down whether the problem is with the URC-8811 or with the teaching remote.

Also, have you verified that you are using good batteries in both remotes? Even though a battery might be good enough for the remote to appear to work normally, it might not be good enough for the learning operation to work.

Did you buy the URC-8811 locally in Argentina and if so, what did you pay for it? Just FYI, if you need any more remotes, I'd be happy to ship them to Argentina.
Herbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also its important to emphasize the "press and HOLD" aspect of teaching. (Step 5)

When Rob says "KEEP PRESSING", he means "press once and KEEP HOLDING" until the LED flashes twice more.

This does not mean "press repeatedly".

It seems obvious to a naitive English speaker, but may be lost on someone for whom English is a second language.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point, but I don't think it's the case here. Even if he were to repeatedly tap the button, the rapid flashing would stop, which isn't occurring here.
Tatanka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:

I have tried 5 remotes (4 of them worked well before with the URC 8811). I'm not sure about the batteries though. I will change them and let you know any news (I seriously doubt that could be the problem).

I bought the remote in the U.S. last year since in Argentina it would be like USD 36.

Herbie:

I know what Rob meant by "keep pressing". I just wanted to point out that I tried other ways (like pressing repeatedly) to make this thing work.

Thanks to both of you.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be out of memory, the 8811 will only learn about 25 or so commands for the whole remote. If this is your fifth remote you're teaching then it sounds to me you're of memory.
Tatanka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, originally I thought that could be the problem, that is why a performed a 981 reset in order to clean up the memory and start from scratch. However, the RC does not "learn" at all.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm out of ideas for this one, we've covered all the bases I can think of.

If you want a new URC-8811 remote, I can send you one for $19 plus $6 postage. If you use a credit card the paypal surcharge is $1.50.
Tatanka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Thank you very much. I will take that into account if a decide to go for a new one. However, I think I will conntinue trying with this one for a while.

By the way, I changed the batteries and it still doesn't learn new keys (not even one).

This morning I bought all the components to make a "simple interface" (JP1). Can I use it to perform a reset to factory settings?.

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 981 returns the remote to the factory settings.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be sure, in Rob's directions above, in step 5, after pressing the button to learn to, you release it immmediately, don't keep pressing it.
Tatanka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried everything, I keep pressing it and the RC keeps flashing repeatedly. I then try by pressing and releasing the button several times, but still no sucess.

Is there anything that can be done with the JP1 interface? (may be download some kind of "clean data" or something). Come on guys, you are the Remote Control Gurus!, help me out here! Sad [/code]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the JP1 interface, you can program the remote to work almost anything. The only use learning serves on a JP1 remote is to capture the signals from an unusual device. Check the file section here, if we have upgrades for all of your gear, you're all set. But seeing as how you're in Argentina, you may end up getting a device or two that we haven't heard of before, which is where you would normally use learning.

From the description of your problems, I can't think what the cause might be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: