JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I got 15-2117 (2116) extender 2 working ;)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenroc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: I got 15-2117 (2116) extender 2 working ;) Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved in this site and especially vasqued for extender 2 Wink

My remote is now nearly perfectly tuned for my home theater setup, including "One button on", and "One button device changes". (Not to mention fast macros, custom LCD labels, and a self setting clock!)

I even used ToadTog to keep track of my TV's current input, and switch it as necessary.

So, to watch Cable, all I have to do is hit Power. (Or "CBL" if the power's already on...)
To watch Tivo, all I have to do is hit AUX. (Not the default since the Tivo resides in the other room, and I have some 'RF issues'...)
To watch a DVD, all I have to do is press DVD.

That last one was the hardest part, since the DVD player feeds into the receiver on S-Video, and my TV only has S-Video ins on Input 2, and everything else is on Input 1. Pressing CBL, AUX, or DVD will intelligently switch between those inputs as needed, which was quite a feat (IMHO), since my TV does not have discrete buttons to select inputs.

I don't know what I'd do without JP1 now...

Oh wait, yes I do... I'd be pressing 7 buttons to turn on my system (instead of 1), and about 5 to switch devices (instead of 1)....

Anyway... would it be of any value to anyone for me to upload my IR.exe dump?

My config is very very very personalized, and likely inefficient in a number of ways, but I would be happy to post it if anyone would like to see an example of ToadTogs in action (or if anyone wants to have a good laugh at the aformentioned inefficiencies...).

Thanks again everyone!
jhstn58

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see your IR. exe dump. I am not having success programming in ToadTogs for my 6117 - DVD and CBL boxes. To see how someone else did it may help me figure out what I am doing wrong.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted to the Yahoo JP1 group (in the User Configurations folder) as "RS 15-2117 Extender 2 -- ToadTogs Example.txt"

Direct link

It's kinda screwy. I still haven't gone back to clean it up.

One thing that almost got me: It seems that one of the RDF files that comes with the Extender download is actually old. You should always use the newest one, which can be downloaded from the Tools section of the yahoo group (see Nils' signature for the link). older than the one that ships with IR. I used the newer one, the one that came with IR, and it worked pretty well for me. I don't know how different the two versions are though. The file is "RSL1RSL1 (RS 15-2117_2116).rdf". The one that comes with the extender is 3.34KB, modified on 2/2/03, and the one that comes with IR is 3.65KB, modified on 8/9/03.

Anyway, let me know if there's anything in there that doesn't make sense. I'll try to explain. Wink

If you'd like, you can post your current dump to the Yahoo group's Diagnosis Area, and I would be happy to take a look at it.

Here's the basic theory on my ToadTogs, btw:
Toggle 1, if true, means that the TV is on Input 1
Toggle 2, if true, means that the TV is on Input 2
If both are false, we can assume that the TV is on it's line input (I don't know what to call it... neither Input 1 nor 2, but rather the 'input' mode where it can tune TV channels itself).

So, when the "DVD" button is pressed, since that calls up a device that is into the TV on Input 2, the remote checks first to see if it's already on Input 2. If it is, it simply selects the correct device. If not, it checks to see if it's on Input 1. If it is on Input 1 (Toggle 1 = On), then it presses "TV/Video" on the TV once, then continues as normal. If it is not on Input 1 (at this point Toggles 1 and 2 are both off, we've found), it presses "TV/Video" on the TV twice (with a long delay in between) and continues.
In any case, it should set Toggle 1 off and Toggle 2 on, since it is now watching Input 2.

The same thing (roughly) happens on any device button that pulls up something on Input 1 of the TV...

Also, the "TV/Video" button on the remote itself is my "Toggle Fix" button. It sends the "TV/Video" button to the TV once, and sets the toggles to 1-On and 2-Off. The idea is that if the Toggles are screwed up, you press "TV/Video" on the remote until you see the TV is on Input 1, then you're done. The button also pulls up a custom label on the LCD ("GOFOR\VID1"... darned 5/4 character limits...) to remind you of the steps Wink

Let me know if I can do anything to help Wink

Last edited by Lenroc on Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenroc wrote:
One thing that almost got me: It seems that one of the RDF files that comes with the Extender download is actually older than the one that ships with IR. I used the newer one, the one that came with IR, and it worked pretty well for me. I don't know how different the two versions are though. The file is "RSL1RSL1 (RS 15-2117_2116).rdf". The one that comes with the extender is 3.34KB, modified on 2/2/03, and the one that comes with IR is 3.65KB, modified on 8/9/03.

It is best to use the RDF's that are posted in the tools section. They are newer than all the ones you quoted. Link is below my name.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it safe to just replace the RDF files I've been using thus far with the newer ones?

I ran a diff on the various RDFs, and it seems that the newest version has a few buttons named differently, and not much else.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenroc wrote:
Is it safe to just replace the RDF files I've been using thus far with the newer ones?.

Yes you can
Lenroc wrote:
I ran a diff on the various RDFs, and it seems that the newest version has a few buttons named differently, and not much else.

Yes, there is not much difference other than button names for the RDF's that you are using.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
Lenroc wrote:
Is it safe to just replace the RDF files I've been using thus far with the newer ones?.

Yes you can

Great, I will try then. I just didn't want my macros to be messed up! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: