JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thanks to Rob, etc...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter1994

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks to Rob, etc... Reply with quote

Sorry for the interruption, but I felt I just had to thank Rob and other contributors to this remote control effort.

THANKS for all of your work - I love the information you provide: instructions, codes, upgrades, advice, etc, etc.

Why am I writing this?...

About 4 years ago I bought a Sony digital surround receiver and tossed a fifth or maybe sixth remote onto my coffee table. It was time to do something so off to the web I went where I quickly found $300+ remotes that would do what I wanted, but there was no way I would spend over $300 on a remote. I got the Sony receiver as an open box special at Circuit City - that's just the kind of guy I am.

Further searching on the web and I found hifi-remote.com. After some reading I bought Radio Shack's 15-1994. Within a day I needed only that remote and one other. Within a few more days I needed only the 1994. I bought a JP1 cable - can't remember the source - and saved the programming on my PC. After a few months I fell completely in love with the 1994 and this web site. So off to Radio Shack I went to buy a backup 1994, which I still have in its original box, just waiting for its brother to die.

Another couple of months and my house was being controlled by X-10 modules - which is great because I own a 100+ year old house with about two wall switches and not many outlets. Again, the 1994, with the help of this group, were invaluable.

This Christmas I was given a Tivo. After setting it up and playing with it for a day I decided to tackle the 1994, but I had to bump something off of it as I had already assigned all of the device buttons, off went the X-Box dvd, which I never use because I have a dedicated DVD player that I got before the X-Box, and that DVD player was on the AUX2 button. Back to hifi-remote.com where I determined I should also consult the JP1 yahoo group, so I did. After a day I had found my JP1 cable, Rob’s master Tivo file, upgraded the IR and spreadsheet software I had with much newer versions and installed my first full upgrade, with button settings customized, to the 1994. No problems, not too time consuming.

THANKS to ROB and EVERYONE who contributes to this site. You folks are a shining example of what makes the World Wide Web great.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

Peter
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

While I know this wasn't meant to be a "how do it do it?" type thread, the fact that you had to bump a device from the remote means you're not using it to it's full potential. There are a couple of different ways that you can make these remotes control alot more than the 7 devices covered by the device buttons. My 15-1994 controls about 13 devices.

One method is to use the device combiner. This is ideal for devices that are compatible and use different buttons. I used the combiner to combine my CD player and my stereo receiver into one upgrade.

Another method is to use the device multiplexor. This is ideal for devices where you didn't need to many keymoves to complete the setup. Basically what is does is change the setup code assigned to the device button with one button push, but as you know, keymoves remain even after the setup code has been changed. As you have 2 DVD players, maybe you should use the multiplexor to combine them onto one device button, and then use the 1S and 2S buttons (for example) to switch between them.

If you have any devices that aren't really devices as such, like video selectors, etc, rather than waste a device button on devices like this, you can spread their controls out over the other devices using keymoves (or learning).

Just some ideas.
Peter1994

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assistance just keeps coming...

I did know of ways to get more on the remote, but really do not need them yet. I saw you had 13 devices when I found your ir file on Yahoo. I bow to the god of the 1994.

Also... I have been a Red Sox fan forever. In the past fours years, since I discovered the 1994 and this site nothing, came along that offered quite as much daily happiness. This year the Red Sox winning the World Series did eclipsed the 1994. Alas, the Red Sox Championship will be short lived, but the happiness offered by the 1994 lives on. You should know that between finding the 1994 and the Red Sox Championship I also got engaged. She knows not to put herself between me, my 1994, and the Red Sox Championship.

She will never read this. Right?

For a laugh see: http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.jhtml?player=realplayer&type=v&quality=high&reposid=/multimedia/last_laugh/lastlaugh_leary.html

Regarding the video at the link above: Fortunately I never did say I would give up my 1994.

Peter
chas6000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: multiplexor Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Another method is to use the device multiplexor. This is ideal for devices where you didn't need to many keymoves to complete the setup. Basically what is does is change the setup code assigned to the device

Rob (or anyone) can you point me to a starting point for reading about the device multiplexor? thanks! (URC9910, extender 9910_1.1 IR5.10)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: multiplexor Reply with quote

chas6000 wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Another method is to use the device multiplexor. This is ideal for devices where you didn't need to many keymoves to complete the setup. Basically what is does is change the setup code assigned to the device

Rob (or anyone) can you point me to a starting point for reading about the device multiplexor? thanks! (URC9910, extender 9910_1.1 IR5.10)

It's a selectable option in the Special Protocols spreadsheet...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Special%20Protocols/special-protocols.zip
chas6000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks Rob!! Reply with quote

Thanks Rob!!

i will read and try to digest......
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: