JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Keymaster and "add ins"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwagone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Keymaster and "add ins" Reply with quote

Confused I cant get the addins to work in my excel2000 so I can run the keymaster program. I've tried every help available in excel. Any suggestions?

Bruce
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sure that you have the addins installed another thing to check is the security settings for macros. If it is set high it won't even tell you it would not let the macros run.

If you have no luck with Excel you can try RemoteMaster which is a Java program that provides the same functionality as KM. The link to the files area is below my name.

Last edited by Nils_Ekberg on Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Keymaster and "add ins" Reply with quote

bwagone wrote:
I cant get the addins to work in my excel2000 so I can run the keymaster program.

Can you be more specific? All you need for KM is the Analysis Toolpak. If it's not in the list of available add-ins, you need to run the Office Setup program and install it.
bwagone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run setup several times and several different ways, with no luck. I've found the xls file and double clicked on that which gives me the data analysis choices but they require input data which I don't understand...I cant get the addins button to activate
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What XLS file are you opening, and what choices are you talking about?

What OS are you using? If it's XP, I think you may need to be logged in as the Admin to install components.
bwagone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using win2000. And office 2000 xcel. When I go to the tools bar after the pprogram says it needs the microsoft analysis toolpack, the addins is not activated so clicking on it does nothing. When I run setup to add the analysis toolpack it says it does it but when I try to opey keymaster I get the same result, the addins bar is still not activated. xcel help says:

Install and use the Analysis ToolPak
Before using an analysis tool, you must arrange the data you want to analyze in columns or rows on your worksheet. This is your input range.

If the Data Analysis command is not on the Tools menu, you need to install the Analysis ToolPak in Microsoft Excel.

To install the Analysis ToolPak
On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins.
If Analysis ToolPak is not listed in the Add-Ins dialog box, click Browse and locate the drive, folder name, and file name for the Analysis ToolPak add-in, Analys32.xll — usually located in the Microsoft Office\Office\Library\Analysis folder — or run the Setup program if it isn't installed.

Select the Analysis ToolPak check box.
To use the Analysis ToolPak
On the Tools menu, click Data Analysis.

In the Analysis Tools box, click the tool you want to use.

Enter the input range and the output range, and then select the options you want.
Note Add-ins you select in the Add-Ins dialog box remain active until you remove them. How to remove an add-in.

THIS WONT WORK UNLESS YOU KNOW THE INPUT AND OUTPUT RANGE?????????
bwagone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got it.

This is weird but...

Evidently in the 2000 version, when you open excel by double clicking on the program (which is what I was doing) I.e. "keymaster" the addins button is deacivated and no amount manipulation will bring it back.

To get control back you have to exit excel and restart it from the programs menu. The add in button works fine then and you can add the addins without problem. After you've done that open keymaster and it works fine.

Sorry for the stupidity.

Bruce
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to duplicate this on my Excel 2000 system and couldn't. Double-clicking the keymap-master.xls file opens it and allows access to the Add-ins command. That's on Win98SE, though I doubt the OS has anything to do with it.

I guess it doersn't really matter since you got it working. Wink
bwagone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

In order to duplicate it you would have to remove (uninstall) the addins. Double clicking works fine after excel is set up properly from scratch.

Bruce
sfhub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I saw the same thing when I double-clicked the
keymap-master excel spreadsheet on a friends winxp/officexp
package.

Had to start excel from scratch without any spreadsheet loaded, then
I could use tools->add-ins, otherwise if excel started via double-click
of keymap-master, tools->add-ins was grayed out.

After enabling macros, tools->add-ins was available either method.
Dabbith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this behavior has anything to do with the fact that Excel must have a worksheet open to be able to access the Add-Ins function.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I had this same problem with both Win95 w/office 97 and Win98SE w/Office 2000. From what I could see If you have a spreadsheet open that requires macros, and the analysis toolpak, you can't go back into the excel menu, then add them. You can only acess that menu from a "virgin" excel open. At least in my case, you couldn't just exit KM, as it seemed to keep the old setting "in memory"; thus I had to close both KM and Excel, then reopen excel, make the additions, then could successfully open KM. Office 2000 mayhave been a little more lenient, and allowed just closing KM, make the additions, and just have to reopen KM. Once set, just double-clicking KM would both open excel, and input/open KM.

By lowering "security" you can eliminate the need to "accept macros" every time you open KM. I don't think it's so much needing "a" worksheet open so much as having to have a "blank" or "new/virgin" worksheet open. Excel "wants' to have all the parameters set first, not after-the-fact, especially what's done behind the scenes on the "hidden sheets".
You may need to use the Office CD to add the "add-ins" if they weren't added to the menu with the original install, as they aren't routinely included in the "typical" install. It will depend on who did the install, and the "options" they selected.
I experieced the same thing as "sfhub", with KM open, "add-ins" is greyed out, his "fix' was the same as mine, except I had to go to the Office cd and added all the "options" first (to office on my HDD).

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: