JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Updated RDF's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Updated RDF's Reply with quote

The following links lead to the current version (V 1.06) of all RDF's to the Tools for JP1 file section.

NOTE: Make sure you select the correct set for your situation.

These RDF's are compliant with both IR.EXE and RemoteMaster (RM) NOTE: KM does not require RDF's
RDF's for both IR.EXE and RM V1.06

These RDF's are for RM ONLY and are NOT compliant with the current version of IR.EXE.
RDF's for RM ONLY V1.06

Full set of RM Maps and Images
For one time only, I have also added a full set of RM Maps and Images to the Tools for JP1 file section . If you are using either set of RDF's with RM you will need this full set.
All Maps and Images for RemoteMaster V1.06

Greg, I did this since I believe it is time to once again synchronize with SourceForge by replacing the full set. Once they are released with RM I will remove them unless popular demand is to keep them there.

CHANGES:
    1) Added additional Images & Maps for URC-75xx remotes
    2) RDF changes to support URC-75xx Images & Maps
    3) Finished updates for other RDF's that support multiple remotes (including Maps & Images for URC-5550, URC-6800, URC-75xx, others).
    4) Added additional Images & Maps for other remotes
    5) Added RDF changes requested by Mike England

rickety

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils, why would someone use the "RM only RDF's"? The number of files are similar (83 vs 81) but is the only difference the two files? It seems a though the creation times are slightly different, but maybe this is just as you are building the set it takes a couple of minutes.

I've downloaded the "IR & RM" version (to the RM rdf folder). I've also put my IR.EXE file and gwiop.sys into that folder and now I only have one set of rdfs.

Is this the logical way to go? Question
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same way I do it. I also put IRdecode.dll in the rdf folder too tho, as well as gwiopm.sys. Haven't run across a problem yet Lucky for me all my JP-1 remotes have RM/IR compliant rdfs. Smile

Jim
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new version of IR coming (hopefully soon) that will use the new "RM only RDFs". There's a bunch of additional information in these RDFs that makes RM better in a number of different ways, and much of that information will also be used by IR to make it better.

Unfortunately, this additional information makes the RDFs incompatible with the current IR.

It is actually possible to use both sets of RDFs and still share the same directory structure.

Pick a folder to install RM and IR, and install them. Use the same folder for both.
Create a folder inside that folder, called "rdf", and unzip the RM only RDFs in there.
Run RM once, and if it tells you it can't find the RDFs, point it to the "rdf" directory you created above. Close RM.
Unzip the "IR & RM" RDfs into the base directory in which you install RM and IR.

Voila, IR and RM exist in the same base directory, and each uses the appropriate RDFs.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Greg's reply, the main change that is in the RM only RDF's is "generic names" which causes the current version of IR to get confused with the button names in the RDF. The benefit of this change is that if you have an upgrade setup for one remote and you want to change it to your remote it will automatically assign the buttons on the button panel in RM. Without this change you would have to manually reassign the buttons.

There are many other benefits in using RM such as seeing and working with an image of the remote for button assignments rather than just a button sheet, additional intelligence in handling protocols, ability to use extender RDF's for button assignments within the upgrade, Java based so no need for Excel, etc.
rickety

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks all.

Based on the various inputs I have decided to restore the two sets of rdfs so rm has its set and ir has its set too. When building upgrades with rm (which I have experimented with) it will use the rm only rdfs and ir can use the ones it is happy with too.

When ir is updated, will it have the ability to define where the rdfs are? If not, I can put it in the rdf location pointed at by rm.

Twisted Evil "Happy" Halloween
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if IR will be able to define a directory for it's RDF's in the future but the beta that I have does not have that capability. Once the new IR is distributed the best way to run it will be all software (IR, RM, KM, etc.) in one directory with the RDF's and then the RM upgrades and images in their own sub directory. This is basicaly the way I run now plus an other sub direstory under the main with the RM only RDF's. I then switch back and forth for testing RDF's in RM and IR

By the way, the big plan for RM is to include the IR functionality into it. This however, is a ways down the road.
damir

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils please could you include Dreambox V2 [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/RDF%20Files/OLVAOLV0%20(Dreambox%20V2).rdf]RDF[/url] and map to next version of RDF's/maps.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damir wrote:
Nils please could you include Dreambox V2 [url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/RDF%20Files/OLVAOLV0%20(Dreambox%20V2).rdf]RDF[/url] and map to next version of RDF's/maps.

There is one ( OLVAOLV0 (Dreambox V2).rdf ) in both sets of RDF's and the images zip so I am assuming what you linked to are newer versions. Correct?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to answer me I figured it out. They will be included in the next update.

I was not aware they swaped the TV and Dream button in version 2. Also nice to see the [DigitMaps] and [Protocols] added. And yes, I noticed the button changes/additions
Lenroc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the newbie question, but I don't get why these RDFs and Images are v 1.0.6, when the latest RM (that I can find) is 0.75... are they just versioned separately, or am I missing something? Wink
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenroc,

I started Jp-1 about a year and a half ago. At that time, IR was 3.02, KM was 5.19, and RM wasn't even thought of. Rob, then was the KM primary builder, Mark Pauker was the primary IR builder. Mark Pierson shortly took over the responsibilities (primary) as the KM builder/modifier. The only way the user can know if his software is up-to-date is by the version Number.
Over "my" time, Mark Pauker has released a "new version" roughly, on average every 4 months. KM, by Mark Pierson, has gone through the 5.xx series, thru the 6.xx, and we're now at 7.58. That's a PILE of KM revisions. Sometimes i saw 2-3 revisions a day, to either add something or correct something. Much was feature enhancements, some was to include previously unsupported remotes.
The Greg and John started the RM program. As you can see, in this "short" time, RM has undergone a lot of revisions. It used to be only IR used rdfs. As you know, RM also uses RDF's and Images/maps. To take some of the Load off Greg, Nils took over the rdf and Images/maps responsibility. RM used to bundle the rdf and Images/maps folder so those got updated only when a RM version update occurred. To maximize benefit, fairly recently it was decided to seperate and versionate RDF's, and Images/maps. This allowed the users faster and as made changes sooner, and more often than just when a major revision occured with either IR or RM.
In the last 6-8 months we've seen about a dozen either NEW remotes, or old unsupported remotes added. We've also seen that a whole series, the 6805 MCU remotes have become supported (Thanks to Mike England). That means more rdf's, more rdf mods, and more images and maps. Nils no longer has to post piecemeal changes and updates for Greg to include (or Mark Pauker), he can upload and versionate as he gets them done in smaller batches. That maximizes benefits to users of both IR and RM.
Thus, versions for all the software occurs at different rates, because of the numbers of different people working on each. each at their own paces. It's a way to have each developer to post what they can for updates without having to wait on another developer on another project.
Since the seperate folders for rdfs and Images/maps only started a couple weeks ago, you can easily see that Nils has made at least 6 major updates. That's just a testimonial to his dedication and how much work he puts into his part of this total JP-1 project, and his efforts to keep YOU supplied with the best and latest. That's NOT to say that Mark or Mark or Greg are slacking off. A "small" change may require a LOT of code change, so it's a slower process.

Jim
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenroc wrote:
Sorry for the newbie question, but I don't get why these RDFs and Images are v 1.0.6, when the latest RM (that I can find) is 0.75... are they just versioned separately, or am I missing something? Wink

I think Jim did a good job of summarizing all the changes that are going on. It is difficult at best to keep tools in synch and versioning is the best way to go. Since Maps & Images tie closely to RDF's we thought it best to version the RDF's, Maps and Images at the same level so people would know if they were using version nn of RDF's they should be using version nn of the maps and images. The assumption also is that the user should always be at the highest version of the software available (IR 3.2.1a, KM 7.58 and RM .75). If a specific version of any of the RDF's, Maps and Images require a specific version of the software that would be indicated. An example is why we have two releases of the RDF's since the latest IR does not support certain features that are in RM. When the new IR is released we will have only one set of RDF's. In the interim I try to keep the Maps and Images in synch with the RDF's.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanations. I guess the reason I asked was I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a RM 1.06 that I was missing! Wink
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what should the directory structure look like (if this is defined elsewhere, my apologies) ?

also, any recommendations for what is the best file naming system (to make them all uniform) for the km.txt, rm.txt, ir.txt files, especially ones that users modify and upload back to jp1 files area?

I find I have named some files when i first got started and without opening them i cant tell which are IR and which are KM (I suppose I should put them in separate directories?)

Oh, and my thanks to all the experts for making my life a bit easier and more interesting.
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: