JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Frequency of visits to this forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpstubbs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Frequency of visits to this forum Reply with quote

Wow, i actually surprised myself when i discovered that it had been a whole month since i last visited the jp1 forum to check the posts. Considering that i used to scan through the emails i received from the yahoo group on an almost daily basis, i can only assume that my tardiness is due to the proceedure i have to go through to actively open the web page and log in to check new posts instead of just scanning through my email client for new messages.

i remember reading somewhere that phpBB are developing an email digest funtion at some point in the future and i can only say the sooner the better or it may be another month before I remember to login and check for new posts again.

jase
Lenroc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find it too hard to save my login in a cookie (perhaps not an option for all...), then visit phpBB's built in "View Posts Since Your Last Visit" page, at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/search.php?search_id=newposts

Wink

However, I realize this is still an active act rather than a passive one...

OTOH, I do receive emails about replies to any topic that I have participated in...
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have developed a chain of programs that periodically scans the forum for new messages, packages the messages titles and URLs in a RSS feed and sends it to my RSS reader.
So I get the JP1 forum as well as other news sites I am interested in, like Slashdot, pushed to my PC under a single user interface.

Alain
Ellen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, i actually surprised myself when i discovered that it had been a whole month since i last visited the jp1 forum to check the posts. Considering that i used to scan through the emails i received from the yahoo group on an almost daily basis, i can only assume that my tardiness is due to the proceedure i have to go through to actively open the web page and log in to check new posts instead of just scanning through my email client for new messages.

This was one of several reasons that I was so very disappointed when the jp1 group moved to one of these web only forums Sad

Quote:
I have developed a chain of programs that periodically scans the forum for new messages, packages the messages titles and URLs in a RSS feed and sends it to my RSS reader.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's a RSS reader?
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellen wrote:

Quote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what's a RSS reader?

Extracted from this site :
Quote:
RSS is a format for syndicating news and the content of news-like sites, including major news sites like Wired, news-oriented community sites like Slashdot, and personal weblogs. But it's not just for news. Pretty much anything that can be broken down into discrete items can be syndicated via RSS: the "recent changes" page of a wiki, a changelog of CVS checkins, even the revision history of a book. Once information about each item is in RSS format, an RSS-aware program can check the feed for changes and react to the changes in an appropriate way.

RSS-aware programs called news aggregators are popular in the weblogging community. Many weblogs make content available in RSS. A news aggregator can help you keep up with all your favorite weblogs by checking their RSS feeds and displaying new items from each of them.

Alain
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: