JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with SHIFT button in Sony DirecTivo extender2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shift key is mapped (e.g. right arrow) it blinks and sends an IR code. I believe if it's a key that's not mapped (e.g. TV/video), it still blinks every with every key press.

I haven't built the extender but I downloaded the assembler yesterday and it doesn't look difficult. Since the shift key works the first time, could it be a timeout isn't getting reset? Maybe because the key is unmapped? Anyway, if you give me a modified extender, I'll figure out how to assemble and load it (especially later this week after I receive more parts and finish converting a 2nd RM-Y809 so I can do testing and still have a remote that "works").
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get it now. There isn't a native shift key on the remote, right?

Anyway, the first thing to try is to take out the code which resets the shift after a timeout and try that.

Go into the Raw Data tab in IR and go to the row 07A0. Go to columns 0E and 0F. They should have the values B0 and 4C in them. Overwrite them both w/ 00.

Retry everything.

If the problem was a problem w/ the shift timing out, this will resolve it. Keep in mind that this 'solution' will always keep the shift from timing out. So if you press the shift, walk away for three days, and then come back. It will still be in shift mode, and will stay that way until you press a second button.

Try this and see what happens. If it doesn't work, we'll try something else.

David
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for helping out David. I don't have the remote either anymore as I sent it back to the person I was programming it for, and it's great that we have leres around now who can do some testing. If we get something that looks like a fix I'll send it onto my guy to load and test.
leres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what the remote looks like:
Quote:

RM-Y809
vasqued2 wrote:
Go into the Raw Data tab in IR and go to the row 07A0. Go to columns 0E and 0F. They should have the values B0 and 4C in them. Overwrite them both w/ 00.
That looks like the location in the v2.2 2k extender. Until I upgrade the eeprom I'm stuck with the v1.1 1k extender. In that one, B0 4C appears in two places. The first occurance (row 00C0 columns 0E and 0F) is preceeded by the same bytes (FB 7B 09) so that's probably the one. I zeroed out B0 and 4C and retested; there was no apparent change in behaviour. I also verified those bytes were zero'ed by re-reading the remote.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leres wrote:
I don't think there's supposed to be a timeout for shift (certainly there's not one when the shift key is right arrow) so I think this is just a bug with the extender.

Actually, there is a 30 sec timeout that cancels the shift by itself.

There has been at least several people successfully converted RMY-809 into JP1 remotes, but never heard of this problem until recently. I am using RMT-V303 very extensively without any problems - this SA TiVo remote can't run your image but these are pretty close.

I am still not sure what would be going on unless this is a different variant or there's a short circuit somewhere.

Can you check:

1) If the sticker on the PCB says "URC-9020B00".

2) Does it make any difference if you change position of the sliding switch on the right hand side?

3) Do the code search and learning features work after the 0981 full reset? (This overwrites contents of the EEPROM, of course.)

Hal
leres

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is silkscreened onto the pcb:
Quote:
COMPUTIME LTD.
SONY TIVO COMBO REV.2
URC-9020B00
JULY 20, 2000
While in the extender, the side switch has no effect that I can see; I can exceute shifted key macros only if I hit TV/video and the number key quickly.

I rebooted the remote (to get out of the extender) and used the 0975 code to learn the p.size button from my TV remote and verified that it worked with my TV. Then I did a 0981 reset and learning worked there too. I didn't try code searching but after the reset the remote would control my Sony T60 ok.

I diff'ed sony-directivo-1K-1.asm and sony-tivo-1K-1.asm but I don't understand enough of how the remote works to determine which differences might be significant.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leres wrote:
While in the extender, the side switch has no effect that I can see; I can exceute shifted key macros only if I hit TV/video and the number key quickly.

What if you set it to another position before you activate the exender?
Quote:
I rebooted the remote (to get out of the extender) and used the 0975 code to learn the p.size button from my TV remote and verified that it worked with my TV. Then I did a 0981 reset and learning worked there too. I didn't try code searching but after the reset the remote would control my Sony T60 ok.

I was interested if the timer mechanism was working. Perhaps it is. The fast blinking during learning would have been too short otherwise.

Quote:
I diff'ed sony-directivo-1K-1.asm and sony-tivo-1K-1.asm but I don't understand enough of how the remote works to determine which differences might be significant.

Main part of the code is exactly the same. The SA remote just uses different register/rom/ram addresses.

Does the shift key always work for the first time after activation? Does it still work even after hitting a button with a macro assigned?

Hal
leres

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just tried this:
  • Upload an extender config with shift set to TV/video
  • Set the TV/SAT slide switch to TV
  • Boot the extender
I can't find a difference between that and booting the extender with the slide switch set to SAT.

Here's another test:
  • Boot the extender
  • Use a non-shifted macro key to execute O_TiVo
  • Hit TV/video
  • Wait 35 seconds
  • Hit a shift-ed macro key
  • The unshifted key is used (the shift timeout works)
  • Hit TV/video
  • Wait 5 seconds
  • Hit a shift-ed macro key
  • The shifted key is used
And of course from that point on, shift times out very quickly.

When TV/video is the shift key, it always works the first time after booting the extender even if native keys or macro keys are used first.

And as I said earlier, when right arrow is the shift key, shift always works.

How do the buttonmaps defined in the rdf relate to the capabilities of the remote? Is the fact that the rdf for the extender doesn't include $26 (TV/video) in the map for device type 1 (SAT) mean that the remote cannot deal with a mapping for that key when using that device type?

Looking at the rdf, I would think that the two device type 0 devices (TV and RCVR) would have the same keys available. But when I look at the keymap on the devices page of ir.exe, I see different key names listed in the keymaps for SAT and RCVR.

One last thing; back when I first started playing around with JP1 remotes I was working with a URC-6131. I never understood why keymap-master had remote definitions for URC 6131 PVR and URC 6131 PVR extender. When I first started programming the RM-Y809, I was expecting keymap-master to have an extender version of RM-Y809 but it didn't. What's the difference?
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leres wrote:
That looks like the location in the v2.2 2k extender. Until I upgrade the eeprom I'm stuck with the v1.1 1k extender. In that one, B0 4C appears in two places. The first occurance (row 00C0 columns 0E and 0F) is preceeded by the same bytes (FB 7B 09) so that's probably the one. I zeroed out B0 and 4C and retested; there was no apparent change in behaviour. I also verified those bytes were zero'ed by re-reading the remote.

The first instance was the right one to change.

Hal, before you stepped in, I had him NOP the automatic reset after 30 seconds and he still had the problem. My thought was the timeout was timing out too quickly but that doesn't look like it's the case.

My next step was going to be to NOP the whole shift test logic to always execute the shift code to see whether the problem was the button press not being recognized or the shift flag getting overwritten somewhere.

I'll let you drive from here unless you want me to keep going down this path as well.

David
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leres wrote:
back when I first started playing around with JP1 remotes I was working with a URC-6131. I never understood why keymap-master had remote definitions for URC 6131 PVR and URC 6131 PVR extender. When I first started programming the RM-Y809, I was expecting keymap-master to have an extender version of RM-Y809 but it didn't. What's the difference?

The URC-6131 is a special case. This remote uses the new format for keymoves, but when the extender is loaded it uses the old style keymoves. So, KM needs to know which version you are using so it will know how to format any generated keymoves. Before there were two selections available we just eliminated keymoves from KM for the URC-6131.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaitNoKeys would cancel the shift state if timeout happens, so there's still a possibility that the timeout value getting set incorrectly. Another possibility is the timeout event getting caught in a different place, but I don't see why SA TiVo remote and 6131 are not showing the same problem...

David,

Please feel free to ask leres do experiments whatever you think useful.

Hal
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leres wrote:
And as I said earlier, when right arrow is the shift key, shift always works.

BTW, this is an interesting observation.

leres wrote:
How do the buttonmaps defined in the rdf relate to the capabilities of the remote? Is the fact that the rdf for the extender doesn't include $26 (TV/video) in the map for device type 1 (SAT) mean that the remote cannot deal with a mapping for that key when using that device type?

It shouldn't cause the extender to miss out a key press, however, it could cause the remote's rom code to clear the shift flag and/or change state of the timer. I'll look into that possibility later tonight.

Hal
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leres,

Let's try another experiment where we hard it so every key gets treated as a shift key.

In line 00E0 you should find the hex string
44 4c a3 (OR R_MacLast, R_SFlags ;Shift the key if flag is set)
Change it to
46 A3 80 (OR R_MacLast, 80 ;always shift the key!)

This change essentially puts in the code to treat all of your buttons as being shifted all of the time. Run some experiments to see if they are all treated as shifted buttons. Remember, if a button has a function mapped to the shifted value, it will execute the shifted function. If it doesn't, it will execute the regular unshifted value.

If this code treats everything as shifted, then we know the problem is with the SFlag getting reset somewhere. If it doesn't, then we know the problem is associated somehow with what buttons are getting recognized when.

I expect they will all behave as if they are shifted, but we should conclusively rule out the other option first.

David
leres

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do any testing until tonight. But yesterday I did successfully build and install a version of the extender built from source. Does it make more sense to test from source instead of patching byte codes? If so, please email me your test version of the .asm file.

I'm expecting a order from mouser.com so by Friday I should have a 2K RM-Y809 available for testing.
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going forward it will make things easier.

These are just some quick easy things to test. The next step it will be very helpful to have the source, and we'll start back w/ the original version again.

Right now, I'm trying to keep all of the code the same length so the offsets in the rdf file don't change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: