JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with Panasonic PT-AE500U LCD Projector
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerKey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Need help with Panasonic PT-AE500U LCD Projector Reply with quote

...At least I think it is a protocol issue.

Me: Newbie
Remote: URC-8811B00 (Also available, URC-9962, URC-8781B00)
Device: Panasonic PT-AE500U LCD Projector

I learned all of the codes from the original remote which work as expected on the URC-8811, but, I want to learn how to do a device upgrade and save some learning memory.

I downloaded the learned signals from the remote to IR 5.1.7. In the Learned Signals section of IR I see the following for all signals...

#: 1 ( <- What is this?)
Protocol: Panasonic2
Device: 128
Sub-Device: 72

... and the following for the the specific TV: Power signal

OBC: 61
Hex Cmd: 43
EFC: 024

I transfered this to RM v 1.08 which I created from a new file using code 2001 and entered the protocol info into the Setup tab.

Here is the problem. When I enter the specifics for each signal in the Functions tab, the OBC/Hex/EFC are being re-calculated to different values. For example, If I enter OBC=61, RM sets EFC=175 and Hex=bc. If I enter the EFC=024, the value Hex=43 is correct but the OBC=194 is different.

I have uploaded the device/protocol to the URC-8811 a few times with different settings, none of which worked. I have also tried using different protocols (the Panasonic protocol allowed me to enter the OBC/EFC/Hex values without modification) but still did not work.

Also, the original downloaded from the URC-8811 with the learned signals showed no added protocols in the Protocols tab which I thought was odd if the remote did not contain that protocol as RM is suggesting.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I can upload the IR and RM files if this turns out to be more than a simple solution.

pk
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with protocol issue... Reply with quote

PowerKey wrote:

Here is the problem. When I enter the specifics for each signal in the Functions tab, the OBC/Hex/EFC are being re-calculated to different values. For example, If I enter OBC=61, RM sets EFC=175 and Hex=bc. If I enter the EFC=024, the value Hex=43 is correct but the OBC=194 is different.

There are multiple ways to create a protocol executor for any given signal. Choices made in that process affect the rules for translating between OBC numbers and EFC numbers.

Usually there is a UEI protocol executor for a given protocol and we base the rules on that.

I don't remember where the protocol upgrade in RM's protocols.ini file came from. Apparently, when I wrote the OBC to EFC translation rules in DecodeIR.dll, I was either looking at a different protocol executor or at none at all.

Anyway, the OBC to EFC translation rules in the decode are not consistent with the upgrade in RM. The OBC numbers are compatible, so you can use an OBC number from the decode and RM will calculate the EFC number which is consistent with the upgrade it is providing.

Maybe one of the other experts can remind me whether there is more than one version of this protocol upgrade floating around. If the one in protocols.ini is the only version, then I ought to change DecodeIR.dll to be compatible with it.

PowerKey wrote:

I have uploaded the device/protocol to the URC-8811 a few times with different settings, none of which worked. I have also tried using different protocols (the Panasonic protocol allowed me to enter the OBC/EFC/Hex values without modification) but still did not work.

It should have worked with the Panasonic2(lcd) protocol and the OBC numbers from the decode. (128 as main device, 72 as subdevice, and keeping "SubDevice2" blank).

The Panasonic protocol used by almost all the other "Panasonic..." choices in RM is a different signal and won't work. Only Panasonic2(lcd) is the right protocol.

PowerKey wrote:

Also, the original downloaded from the URC-8811 with the learned signals showed no added protocols in the Protocols tab which I thought was odd if the remote did not contain that protocol as RM is suggesting.

A learned signal is a direct recording of the IR signal. It never involves any protocol (built-in or upgrade).

A protocol executor (AKA protocol upgrade) is a set of rules for generating the signal from simple data (the upgrade's fixed data and hex command). It ends up smaller than a bunch of learned signals because the same rules are applied for each command and only the hex command varies.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an upgrade in the Projector folder for a Panasonic PT-AE100 that uses the Panasonic2 (LCD) protocol. The original file used manual settings with a home made protocol, but I've just converted the file to use the official Panasonic2 protocol, so you should be able to open this file using RM.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem here is that the $01 09 protocol is LSB rather than the normal LSB-Comp. If you change the fixed data by editing your device upgrade in IR to:

40 04 rather than BF FB, then based on my limited testing, it works.

So PK, it is really matching up KM to the Protocol. I looked at RM too and it was also wrong for a different reason. Here is the corrected protocols.ini entry:

[Panasonic2 (LCD)]
PID=01 09
DevParms=Main Device=128,Sub Device=72,Sub Device 2=0,OEM Dev1=2,OEM Dev2=32
DeviceTranslator=Translator(lsb,0,8,16) \
Translator(lsb,1,8,24) \
Translator(lsb,2,8,32) \
Translator(lsb,3,8,0) \
Translator(lsb,4,8,8)
FixedData=00 00 00 00 00
CmdTranslator=Translator(lsb)
CmdParms=OBC=0
Notes=56 bit version of Panasonic \
\n\n\
The OEM values default to 2 and 32 (the only values used by Panasonic) \
If there is a 56 bit version of JVC-48, it would use 3 and 1 there. \
The Main Device and Sub Device are used in this protocol similarly to \
the way they are used in the more common Panasonic protocol. \
We don't yet know "Sub Device 2" really is. The default value 0 matches \
all samples we've seen so far.
Code.S3C80=45 91 51 8B 12 8F 45 08 08 00 DA 02 7B 00 DA 00 C6 90 C9 06 D0 03 54 20 11 E4 05 09 B4 06 09 B4 07 09 B4 08 09 8D 01 46

Last edited by jon_armstrong on Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
PowerKey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses. It is finally working.

I replaced the Panasonic2 (LCD) protocol in RM's protocol.ini with the one supplied by jon*, used the OBC values from the learned signals, and uploaded to the remote and it worked like a charm.

*I changed the value of the Sub-Device in jon's new protocol to 72 instead of 0. I am not sure if that was necessary, but it seemed like the thing to do.

Thanks. Now, I am on to the next unsupported device...

pk

Robman:

In your revised PTAE100 file, I noticed the protocol note in the setup tab about a different protocol for the P8/740. How would I know which to use? Is there a list somewhere that specifies which processor is in each remote?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerKey wrote:
*I changed the value of the Sub-Device in jon's new protocol to 72 instead of 0. I am not sure if that was necessary, but it seemed like the thing to do.

That is exactly what you should have done. I changed the default sub-device back to 72 in the protocols.ini entry.
Quote:
How would I know which to use? Is there a list somewhere that specifies which processor is in each remote?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Miscellaneous/RemoteChart.htm
but most of the newer remotes are the S3C80 family.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a copy of the S3C8 version of the $0109 executor and I can confirm that it's LSB-COMP. I have loaded a KM file for TV/1410 that uses "Manual Settings" and includes both the S3C8 and 740 versions of the protocol.

In comparing the UEI version to the homemade JP1 version, I notice that they're not XORing R07 (ie, sub2) into the checksum. I suspect that this is a mistake, but because R07 is zeroes in this case, it doesn't make a difference. However, because UEI almost always reverses the polarity of their executors, they would normally need to COMP the checksum result before they can use it, but in this case, by omitting R07 (which is altually set to FF) they get away with not doing it.

My guess is that as soon as we see an example of a device where sub2 is not zero, they will realize their mistake and change the protocol code.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I've just got a copy of the S3C8 version of the $0109 executor and I can confirm that it's LSB-COMP.

Now I'm confused. Confused

Jon and John seem to concur that it's LSB, and Jon's advice to PowerKey, and his confirmation that it works, would indicate LSB as well. However, the upgrade you posted uses the LSB-Comp fixed data and commands.

Am I missing something? Is there possibly more than one variant of the protocol? Is PowerKey's device an "exception" rather than the "rule"? Confused
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Is there possibly more than one variant of the protocol? Is PowerKey's device an "exception" rather than the "rule"? Confused

Be careful of terminology there.

A "protocol" is a set of rules for encoding device and obc numbers into an IR signal. There is one 56 bit Panasonic protocol and we're pretty sure we understand it (we can't be certain how the second subdevice affects the check byte until we see a sample with that non zero. But we have enough general experience to be pretty confident in our assumption that it is included in the usual way).

A "protocol executor" is a set of rules for translating from fixed data plus hex command into an IR signal. Certainly there are multiple variants of protocol executor for a given protocol.

LSB vs. LSB-comp is a function of the protocol executor, not a function of the protocol. So it it quite reasonable (and typical) that one of us wrote a protocol executor for 56 bit Panasonic and made it LSB, while UEI wrote one and made it LSB-comp.

Given the extra information that UEI made what we think is a mistake in the check byte, we may want to stick with our own variant for KM or RM.

Also note: Assuming we are right about R07 (and UEI is wrong) it is simpler to compute the check byte for LSB than for LSB-comp. For many protocols the executor size would be identical for LSB vs. LSB-comp. But in this case LSB is shorter than LSB-comp once you get R07 correct.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you John, but keep in mind that sooner or later the $0109 executor will start showing up as a built in protocol in remotes, so at thtat point we will need to support it. Therefore, I recommend that we treat it as an LSB-COMP and modify our executor accordingly, keeping the XOR of sub2 in there.

I've written to Jon S. advising him that I think there is a potential mistake in their code, so we'll have to wait and see what he says. But if they don't fix it, and the current version gets into remotes, and it turns out that we're correct that sub2 should be included in the checksum, we will need to add logic to KM and RM that monitors the sub2 value entered, and if it's not zero, we'll need to force a protocol upgrade.
PowerKey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use this protocol (Panasonic2) in RM with a P8/740 based remote (URC-8781) selected, RM warns me that this protocol is not compatible.

Does that mean that Panasonic2 will never work with my 8781 or does it simply mean that there is no P8/740 data in the Protocol.ini file for RM to generate a protocol for that remote?

I tried the P8/740 protocol that is in the Protocol Notes of the PTAE100.txt file that Robman modified, but it did not appear to work.

Thanks again for the info (not that I understand all of it yet. Wink )

pk
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerKey wrote:
does it simply mean that there is no P8/740 data in the Protocol.ini file for RM to generate a protocol for that remote?

Right

PowerKey wrote:

I tried the P8/740 protocol that is in the Protocol Notes of the PTAE100.txt file that Robman modified, but it did not appear to work.

As we've been discussing, the current protocols.ini entry uses LSB translation, but the UEI protocol executor needs LSB comp.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerKey wrote:

Did you try it using RM or KM? As John explained, we'll need to make a new protocol.ini entry for it to work in RM, but if you have access to Excel you should try the KM version as I believe it will work.
PowerKey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM Only. No Excel.

Like I said in my first post, this is about learning. I just returned the 8811 and I am hoping to find the newer button version of the URC-9911 and use it as the main remote. That should give me some time to learn a few things about JP1 before I need it.

BTW, the TV-1410.txt file that you posted will not open in RM. Any ideas why? the TV-1410 is the same code that UEI upgraded my 9962 with (via phone) that works with the PTAE500, so, I would like to be able to use it.

Is the IR to KM/RM process difficult? Are ther instructions somewhere?

pk
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this upgrade and protocol in the 8780.

Upgrade Code 0 = 2D 82 (TV/1410)
09 00 7E DE CE 41 BF FB FE ED FF FB 7B 61 DF 5F
43 3F 79 9F 49 A1 B1 1F A5 25 C5 45 6F BF 84 76
End

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 09 (P8/740)
0D 1A 51 80 01 00 A5 62 45 5F 45 60 85 63 A9 80
20 DB 00 A2 37 A0 03 22 44 3C 00 57 3C 07 55 A6
57 B5 5D 85 59 20 70 01 E6 57 C6 55 D0 F1 A9 10
20 DB 00 A2 24 A0 61 22 44 22 06 90 D1 60 3C 08
54 A9 10 20 DB 00 26 59 B0 08 A2 A9 A0 02 22 44
80 06 A2 86 A0 01 22 44 C6 54 D0 E5 60
End
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: