JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HTML Experts, help me out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: HTML Experts, help me out Reply with quote

Hey Lucy, is that you??? Question 8)

Here's what I'm trying to do. I've compiled a spreadsheet that lists all the Device Upgrade files from Yahoo along with their descriptions and their authors. My intent is to write some HTML to fake out the upload process on my new File Section, so all I have to do is press a button and the file gets loaded. I would then make the spreadsheet write the HTML for me.

Well, I have it all working except for the file part. If I leave the file section box un-hidden with the BROWSE button active, i can use the browse button to select a file and load it, this much works. But what I want to be able to do is hard code the file name into the INPUT statement of the HTML form, then all I'd have to do is press the button, and voila, but this is the part I can't get working.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can make this work, or maybe think of a different way of approaching it?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/file.html#value the value parameter is supposed to allow you to specify a default file name, but it doesn't work in any browser.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
pgk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I believe you can't do it that way, most (all?) browsers don't accept a value clause on <input type=file> statements for security reasons. i.e. To stop me tricking people into uploading files I want, rather than ones they select.

Paul.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, and thanks for that link Greg, that pretty much answers the question, and I agree with them that it would be a security risk if what I am trying to do was allowed across the board.

I got a few files loaded last night by manually selecting the file but letting the hard coded HTML take care of the other details, so I will probably continue doing it that way.

Having said that, I might take one last look into Java Script to see if I can make it copy the value from one place to another when I click on the SUBMIT button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: