JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for the perfect remote... can you help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchican

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Looking for the perfect remote... can you help? Reply with quote

I currently have a Sony RM-Av2100 and have it programmed to change audio sources on my receiver and power certain components when i press the component select button, e.g. I press "DVD" and the receiver switches the audio input to DVD and powers the DVD player. I also have the remote programmed with keyboard keys from my ir keyboard to control my media center. All of this in an effort to create a simple and intuitive control of all my components (girlfriend friendly).

The programming is pretty simple really, except I can't stand the shape of the remote and having to look down at the remote when I want to play, stop, etc. So I've been looking for an ergonomic remote with tactile buttons that is also as versatile for programming as the sony.

Enter JP1... I stumbled onto JP1 last week and thought I had found the answer so I ran out and bought a URC-8910, cool remote looks and feels good. Thought it would be perfect for my needs except (as far as I can tell), the component buttons (TV, DVD, AUX, etc.) can't be programmed for multiple functions. Ultimately, I would like to program each component button with discrete power on/off codes, audio select and discrete video source select .

Am I right about the component select buttons on the 8910? Can what I want be done and if so, what REMOTE would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for pointing a newbie in the right direction.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure that the 8910 can have macro's programmed to the device buttons without an extender using a JP1 cable. I would first set the macros to the shifted device buttons, get everything working the way you want and then remove the shift.

Compared to the Sony, OFA's have very limited memory for learning, but we don't use learning for anything other than as a temporary measure to create a device upgrade. There are a number of keyboard device upgrades in the files. If you are running a version of WinXP MCE we also have the upgrade for the remote. But, the bottom line is that you can do anything you need with the 8910. I control 13 devices with an OFA remote and still have about 50% of the memory available.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using JP1 and installing the extender on the URC8910, you can program macros on the device buttons.

You can find the extender at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Extenders/URC-8910/
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
mitchican

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your quick replies... a few more questions if I may

jon_armstrong you said:
Quote:
I would first set the macros to the shifted device buttons, get everything working the way you want and then remove the shift.

What is the advantage of shifting? How would I then test these buttons to see if they work? I am under the impression that shifting works similar to a keyboard shift button, is that correct?

gfb107 you said:
Quote:
Using JP1 and installing the extender on the URC8910, you can program macros on the device buttons.

I tried the extender and it blew me away, is it complicated or am I just dense?

I returned the remote to best buy last week, now you both give me hope.
Does programming macros require the individual EFC codes or are they programmed with key press sequences?
I tried using phantom buttons and some other stuff, but never really figured it out....

I've read through the beginner's guides and many others docs, but I must admit I have been left in a bit of a haze. Are there any JP1 for "real " dummies docs out there? (Preferably with pics)

Would you recommend keymaster of remotemaster for a beginner? I've tried km, again kinda overwhelmed.

Thanks again
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitchican wrote:
Thank you both for your quick replies... a few more questions if I may

jon_armstrong said:
Quote:
I would first set the macros to the shifted device buttons, get everything working the way you want and then remove the shift.

What is the advantage of shifting? How would I then test these buttons to see if they work? I am under the impression that shifting works similar to a keyboard shift button, is that correct?

In JP1 remotes, you press momentarily the setup button and release, then the device button. So it is not like a keyboard. The advantage of programming shift-device butttons is that you still retain the normal use of the device button. Nonetheless, the unextended remote using JP1 can have a macro programmed on a device button. However, IIRC, within a macro the device button will retain it's device meaning so that it doesn't loop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: