JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FYI: 5 new Kameleons coming soon (to Europe)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: FYI: 5 new Kameleons coming soon (to Europe) Reply with quote

The European branch of One For All has five new Kameleons lined up for the European market. From what I hear the 8-dev version should be out before Christmas, but I don't know about the others.

Also, these remotes are NOT JP1 compatible, because they use some sort of flash chip.

Here's are the model numbers:
URC-8210 - 10 dev version
URC-8206 - 6 dev version
URC-8204 - 4 dev version
URC-8203 - 3 dev version
URC-8201 - TV only version
URC-8200 - battery charger stand.

There's a new OFA website for these remotes:
http://www.oneforallkameleon.com/
kenyee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: no mention of battery size Reply with quote

You can only hope they wisened up and used AA batteries instead of the tiny AAA.

At least they figured out you really should use rechargeables with it...the 10 in 1 comes w/ rechargeable batteries and a charger Smile

Too bad they killed off JP1 support...takes a lot of the fun out of it...
bufordtdawg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, these remotes are NOT JP1 compatible, because they use some sort of flash chip.

Ohhh.... Please say it's not soooo...

With all of the tremendous hurdles that have been overcome by several brilliant engineers in this forum, a new flash-chip algorithm seems like a bump in the road.

Do the new ones still have the 6 pin connector?

Do they use one of the familiar processors?

The Comcast On-Demand 3-device remote that came with my digital cable box has the JP1 connector, but IR515 won't talk to it, perhaps because of the same flash-chip incompatibility.

I like the escutcheons around the high-use keys, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one after their Christmas release.

Mike
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash chip *is* the processor and EEPROM all rolled into one. The Comcast remotes use a different chip that has now been discontinued. These new Kameleons use a HCS08 chip that hasn't been reverse engineered yet.

My guess is that the kameleons will have pads, like all the other kameleons, rather than a 6-pin, but any other remotes that use the new chip will likely have a 6-pin.

Even back at UEI, they had to design a new "E2 Loader" (which is their equivilent of a JP1 cable) to work with these new remotes.
bufordtdawg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that there are several flavors of HCS08. Do you know if security features are turned on? Can the flash area be dumped and disassembled?

How much is known about the code in JP1 remotes? Are the extenders complete code replacements? Is there more than just the bootloader in ROM?

I'm just trying to get an idea of the scope of the project.

Is anyone in touch with UEI to see if they have ever entertained offering a programming package for sale?

Mike
worldtraveller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: these remotes are NOT JP1 compatible, because they use some Reply with quote

Sad

Hi,

I have just bought a URC-8206 in denmark, and a JP1 Cable (USB),
because in my excitment I though I could use the JP1, because the remote do have a 6 pin connector.

But when I try to use the JP1 with the remote, I get the message :

"SDA is being held low. Make sure batteries are installed in the remote"

The Robman is writing something about and "E2 loader". Is it possible to get that from somwhere, to programm my remote ???
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "E2 Loader" is the black box that they use back at UEI to program these remotes, it's not something you can buy from anywhere.

For now, these newer remotes are simply not JP1 compatible. Hopefully in the future someone will reverse engineer how to talk to them at which point we will design new interface cables and adapt the software.
robcollingridge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a real blow to me having just bought the URC-8206. With the amount of effort you have to invest to get these things configured as you want, not being able to back up the configuration is a real annoyance. I'm tempted to stick it on eBay now and buy something else. The question is, what device will solve all of my problems?

I've listed all the issues and things the URC-8026 will not do for me on my website: http://www.btinternet.com/~robert.collingridge/reviews/

Rob Collingridge
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the Kameleons and you want JP1 ability, go with one of the 1st generation models, which means either the European URC-8060 or the US URC-9960. I have URC-9960s available that I have pre-modded to be JP1-compatible eliminating the need for a pogo-pin adapter. My price is $59 and shipping to the UK is $9.
Hugo-egoN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

im new to this, so if i write crap, please tell! Wink

Mkay i got a 8204 last Firday. Works not great but OK. So thought, "hey there are pins, but what to do with them" so i googled and now im here.

1. 820X uses new MC. HSC08. OK.
2. PDFS (ill paste the urls if needed) from i.e. freescale Semiconductors avail.
3. I dont know anything about the E2 Loader, but hey. BDM08 Interface and here we go. 1st Problem: This will cost about 200USD, too much for a toy.
Is there someone who got a BDM08/12 ? those are afaik the same hardware. im speaking about that:

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=32

4. With the BDM is a memory dump of the HSC08 possible. ultraedit and IDA Pro will be enough (at least for me) to reverse that crap in the dump. (still hate it)

DOCS (the intresting one how to use BDM:

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2497.pdf

If someone is intrested in helping.... also the "chip expert who discovered how to talk to the remote" is welcome. At least since im not familiar with the JP1 Protocols and stuff its maybe a help.

But as told, at first a BDM08 interface is needed. Im atm also looking for the related software.

Greetings,
Hugo-egoN

PS: could someone tell me how to open the case of the URC-8204? i dont want to brake it Wink (want to see the used MC and pcb-layout for myself)
Hugo-egoN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... never thought that so _much_ users are intrested in that ...
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that no one is interested in the new remotes; it's just that none of the JP1 experts who might be interested in taking a look don't actually have one of these remotes to play with. Yes, I expect either BDM will work since the JP1.2 connector pinout matches, but it's a bit pricey for the average JP1 user, and we'll have to develop a much simpler interface before it becomes practical to support the HCS08 remotes.
Hugo-egoN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK.

And this isnt that easy also, i searched googled and read. the spec for the bdm is clear, but the problems come here:

http://www.softecmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=86

I think that as long as no reference design will be published, we either have to buy a bdm and reverse it too (im not _that_ hw-hobbyist to create one from scratch)

But at least a answer. And BTW i buy the OFA's as dealer and get a lil bit better prices as the normal user in .de (cant tell for other countries). Got the URC-8204 for about 40€ + 16% taxes and would ship them (dunno what this would cost) to anyone intrested.

Ill let a few days pass now. the rumors at softec microsystems say they will make a reference design public. but im unconvinced.

Greetings,
Hugo-egoN
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo,
Check your PM inbox.
Jim
maxl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: