JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Important new spreadsheet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Important new spreadsheet Reply with quote

Over the last few days I have been putting together a spreadsheet that lists every single UEI setup code that I know about, including many that don't appear in any remotes.

This spreadsheet lists the protocol, protocol-id, fixed data and device codes for each setup code (where I know how to translate the fixed data into device codes). There are still quite a few unidentified protocols in there, and there are quite a few identified protocols where I haven't added the logic to decode the fixed data into device codes yet.

This spreadsheet also lists which remotes the code is available in.

I have also turned on the autofilter, which will allow you to just select the type of codes that you're interested in, such as "all the DVD codes" or "all the 15-1994 codes".

Here's a link to it please let me know what you think of it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

I like it.

In a thread at RC today I wanted to give the setup code for Aiwa:284. With some effort I found TV/0748 in the 2133, 6131 and 9960.
Now that you released this tool I was able to redo that search with zero effort and discover I missed Replay 5000 for remotes including TV/0748 and I missed TV/0768 (just in the URC-6131).

This will make it a lot easier for those of us active in the OFA forum at RC to take data from other sources and turn it into answers there.

Of course it also makes it easier to be lazy and do what I did with Aiwa:284, which is assume a match of some obscure protocol/device combo means you've found the right code set, and not bother to look into whether the EFC numbers are right. But even with that error, the answer is better than no answer, since you can use EFC KeyMoves from there.

Anyway, thanks.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the pull down to select P-ID all the hex numbers that don't include any letters appear before all the hex numbers that include any letters. So you might look in numerical sequence and incorrectly decide the one you want is missing.

If that isn't easy to fix then this post is a warning to other users, not a bug report (but if it's easy to fix, please spare others that confusion).
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Rob... Now I know why we keep you Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
In the pull down to select P-ID all the hex numbers that don't include any letters appear before all the hex numbers that include any letters. So you might look in numerical sequence and incorrectly decide the one you want is missing.

That's an Excel "feature" I'm afraid, so there's nothing I can do about it. I've noticed that many times myself with another spreadsheet that I use alot.

Actually John, you can help with this spreadsheet a bit if you want. While I added logic to translate the fixed data into device codes for all of the well known protocols, there are several combos (RC-5/6, etc) and other protocols (Dishplayer Old, etc) where I didn't know the translation forumula and I didn't bother to dig into KM or RM to figure it out. So, if you know how to translate any of these, please either update the spreadsheet or send me the info.

There are several protocols where I've put the name in parens, these were mostly cross-references with a spreadsheet that Jon gave me, but I don't know if DecodeIR, KM or protocols.ini have been updated to use these names.

Whenever I noticed different versions of the same setup code (ie, the fixed data was different, or the p-id was different) I listed each variation.

I've added several "named" items that you can use to make it easier, for example, if a protocol is LSB-COMP and the first fixed byte is device code1, all you would need to put in the dev1 column is =comp1. Dev2 would be comp2, etc (up to comp5).

If the protocol is LSB, dev1 is =dec1, dev2 is =dev2, etc.

Items msb1 thru msb5 contain the binary in MSB format.
Items lsb1 thru lsb5 contain the binary in LSB format.

So, if a protocol is MSB, for dev1 you would use =bin2dec(msb1)

If you only wanted to use the 5 least sig bits of an MSB device code, you would use: =bin2dec(right(msb1,5))

For the 5 LSBs of an LSB signal: =bin2dec(right(lsb1,5))

Oh yeah, I should also point out that I didn't include data for the Sony Tivo, Sony DirecTivo, DRC400 or Dreambox remotes. In the case of the two Sony remotes, the setup codes are completely different than normal UEI setup codes, and in the case of the other two, there were too many examples of setup code numbers not matching the standard codes.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, do you want minor enhancement requests (which I assume you would let collect and then consider during any future version release) here or somewhere else, or not at all?

I was impressed that it selects Sharp or Denon Protocol name based on fixed data where they use the same pid.

So I'd like it to distinguish "Fujitsu" from "Sharp DVD" the same way.

I don't recall the structure of pid 00F8, but looking at the list it sure looks like second byte of fixed data is D7 for Fujitsu, and AA for Sharp and 3B for some third choice.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
John, you can help with this spreadsheet

I assumed there was more automation to the process than is visible to me (non Excel expert) in the result.

If I just changed something, I'd expect to be missing the process, so that if you made some big change later it would undo my little changes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know enough about Excel to make the kind of modifications that you're talking about, I'd just as soon have you do them rather than have the requests all pile up for me to do. If I can help you, I'd be happy to.

In order to avoid us over writing each other, if you do start to do some work on it, just let me know, and I'll hold off from doing anything to it myself until you're done.

There was alot more automation involved in creating this than is still in there. For example, the cross-reference list that shows which code is in which remote was done using formulae, and it took about 10 minutes to run on a good PC!

The condensed list that just shows one entry per setup code was also created using formulae.

Obviously, both of these routines have already served there purpose, so there was no point in leaving them in there.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, I just updated the spreadsheet with some minor revisions.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just loaded version 4 of the speadsheet which now contains alot more codes that it did before. You will notice some entries for setup codes where the protocol and device code info is blank, these are codes that I got from the user manuals for the really old 15-1905 remote and the brand new 15-2142 remote.

There are now two versions of the spreadsheet, one that is completely formula free and should therefore load quickly and trouble free in non-Excel spreadsheet programs, and another (called devices-dev) that has lots of formulae. I use the later version to add new codes, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: