JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

difference between NEC-1 and NEC-1a ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: difference between NEC-1 and NEC-1a ? Reply with quote

what is the best resource to read to learn about the following: i have learned some codes from my "universal cable box" (a coolbox pro 10x) and IR says it uses NEC-1 protocol and is device 128. when i went to devices.xls there is no NEC-1 with a device code of 128 (there are several NEC-1a with device codes of 128). in my complete ignorance i tried the setup codes listed in the NEC-1a protocol with device codes of 128, such as CBL/0883, but my URC-8910 said "not found" for just about all of 'em. I have also tried every cable box code using "manual search" feature of the URC-8910. i see a section for posting universal cable box codes at this site and plan to post once i figure out what i am doing. is there a guide to creating an upgrade or is it pretty straightforward? just enter all the info into KM and pray? Smile this sort of stuff was so much easier to grasp when i was younger Rolling Eyes

Last edited by usblipitor on Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEC-1a is the way devices.xls refers to an NEC1 signal that has no subdevice. Since you didn't mention a subdevice, I'll guess that "no subdevice" is correct for your cable box (I think NEC1 device 128 is common both with and without a subdevice).

If your 8910 says "not found", that means it doesn't have that setup code built in. (devices.xls is primarily based on the 15-1994).

Why not just create an upgrade to load via JP!?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's the other way around. I used NEC-1a to denote codes that used two device codes, ie a device and sub-device. This is an old spreadsheet and our notation standards have changed since then, so I will either remove it or update to avoid confusion.

However, as John hinted, you are making this more complicated than it needs to be. Rather than spending alot of time trying to find a built in code to work your cable box, just use the information gather from the learned signals to build an upgrade.

Before proceeding, could you verify that IR.exe didn't list a sub-device for the learned signals?

Assuming it didn't, in KM (or RM) you should select NEC1 as the protocol and enter 128 as the device code. (If there was a sub-device specified, enter it also). Select Cable as the device mode and enter a setup code of your choice. You should also pick a button code style (ie, either OBC or EFC), it doesn't matter which you pick.

Next, go to the Functions sheet and enter the button codes in either EFC or OBC format (depending on which style you chose).

Finally, go to the Buttons sheet and assign these functions to actual buttons.

Then copy the upgrade codes over to IR and install them into your remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just updated the NEC1a protocols to read NEC1 in this spreadsheet, and adjusted a few others that I noticed were out of date.

I've also included a readme file that states that this is an out of date spreadsheet, so hopefully this will reduce the confusion it might cause. I'm reluctant to just delete it, but I will consider doing so if it still seems to cause confusion.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Before proceeding, could you verify that IR.exe didn't list a sub-device for the learned signals?

I checked again and it doesn't list a sub-device, just device 128 and the space for sub-device is blank.

Say, it was neat creating a device upgrade file for the first time! ; and it worked the first time with my coolbox. It is so rare that things work the first time.

i uploaded my device upgrade file to the yahoo JP1 files. The viewmaster 4000 seems to have almost all the same keys as the coolbox, but none of the same OBCs. The one difference in the key labels is that the decoder board toggles are labelled V1/V2/V3/SP on the coolbox and MEM1/MEM2/MEM3/MEM4 on the viewmaster.

Anything else I should learn about or should I jump headfirst into the extender for my 8910 ? This stuff is so cool ! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: