JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Noob has a few questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Noob has a few questions Reply with quote

Hello,
I wanted to post this before I even start to try & avoid any obvious, dumb mistakes (okay they might happen anyway). I picked up a 15-2116 today at RS & my JP1 cable is on its way, so this weekend I'm hoping to do some remote programming. What I'd like to know is if there are any pointers or things to watch out for that you experts out there can warn me about? I've read the how-to & I'm getting ready to download the tools & take a look at that, but I'm curious if there's any real world advice that you guys can give that won't be found in the help sections. Here's a list of the devices that I'll be *trying* to control with my new remote:

Mitsubishi 55311 HD-ready tv
Motorola 6208 HD/DVR cable box
Yamaha RX-V550 receiver
HTPC - I don't expect to control this with the remote, at least not yet. I need to learn Girder & have a USB-UIRT for that & I'm not entirely sure that this remote will work with Girder (anyone know for sure?). So this won't be part of the equation right away.

Any advice for a rookie would be greatly appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the HTPC, you could get a remote kit like the one Streamzap sells, which would allow you to control your PC apps with a handheld remote. You could then use the Streamzap upgrade in the file section to program your 15-2116 to also control it.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As regards the HTPC , there are several options as Rob said. Besides the Streamzap the Hauppauge cards have a remote that will control the foreground application (and background with some work) with a configurable irremote.ini file that doesn't require Girder (no mouse control). There is a Girder plugin for it but I don't know how well it works. There were some cheap Creative serial remotes floating around for about $6 a while back. The supplied software and Girder plugin work OK. Here is a JP1 upgrade for it.

These might not be the most elegant solutions (IR blaster , etc) but they might be a cheap way to start and experiment.
pgk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this remote will work with Girder (anyone know for sure?).

I think it's more to do with the IR receiver and it's girder plugin than anything else. The USB-UIRT I've seen seems to allow learning with Girder and can process IR from 34-40khz which this remote will happily generate.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous discussions of Girder indicated it can be configured with a variety of different IR receiving hardware. In all cases a JP1 remote can generate the signals you need for Girder, but what exactly you need to do depends on the IR receiving hardware. I'm not a Girder expert at all. I assume the USB-UIRT is one of the more general purpose IR receivers.

For a very specialized IR receiver you'd need to find out exactly what signals that receiver needs and then the JP1 remote can send them. For a more general IR receiver, you can select any of the common protocols that use typical frequency and timing and then have the Girder learn the signals that the JP1 remote sends. If the receiver has a narrow frequency range as pgk suggested and you find out the frequency range (or trust pgk quoted the right one), we can tell you a good built-in setup code and/or protocol for an upgrade would be near the middle of the range.
pgk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
trust pgk quoted the right one

Certainly not a good idea.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Noob has a few questions Reply with quote

Tracie wrote:
What I'd like to know is if there are any pointers or things to watch out for that you experts out there can warn me about? I've read the how-to & I'm getting ready to download the tools & take a look at that, but I'm curious if there's any real world advice that you guys can give that won't be found in the help sections. Here's a list of the devices that I'll be *trying* to control with my new remote:

Mitsubishi 55311 HD-ready tv

Some Mitsubishi RPTV's have a problem with the built in Mitsubishi protocol. There is a long thread here about it with the solution (on the second page). You need not worry about it unless you see the same problems.
Quote:
Motorola 6208 HD/DVR cable box

To date no one has found any discrete power commands for these. Like most set top boxes they consume about the same amount of power On or Off, so leave it on all the time. That will simplify your macros.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: