JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8810 Extender 3.1 problem--new report
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knees1339

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: 8810 Extender 3.1 problem--new report Reply with quote

In the Yahoo Group, Joe Hamouda and Zhe Zhang mentioned that they couldn't get 6012x3.1 2K to work in the 8810w.

I just wanted to report that I have encountered the same problem. I bought a virgin 8810, tested its inbuilt codes on my TV to confirm functionality, installed x3.1, then added device upgrades and protocols for my components.

The remote works fine UNTIL the extender is activated via TV_POWER, whereupon it crashes, and is unresponsive to button presses.

All RDFs used during extinstall were the most recent available, but I also tried the earlier ones included with the extender distribution--to no avail.

Following the suggestion of Zhe Zhang, I then installed x2.4, and it works with no problems so far (limited exploration only).

I have experience working with upgrades and extenders for the URC7800, the RCU810, and the RS-1994 prior to this exercise.

This is not a complaint--rather, a data point.

The remote is labelled URC-8810B00 on the battery compartment cover, with a sticker inside reading G032105. Batteries are brand new.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded a basic install of the 6012 EX3_1 extender in the diagnostics file area of the old jp1 Yahoo group. It is called "URC8810 ex3_1.txt". This was an install of the extender in an 8810W that my father in law is still using. It has no upgrades, basic device macros and only 3 devices (TV, VCR, DVD) assigned. Try it and see if it will work without locking up in yours.
Knees1339

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
I just uploaded a basic install of the 6012 EX3_1 extender ... Try it and see if it will work without locking up in yours.

Uploaded it into my 8810w. Same problem. It all crashed. So, something ain't right!

Perhaps I need to upload a copy of my virgin remote download, to see if anything is different there?

Last edited by Knees1339 on Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knees1339 wrote:
Nils_Ekberg wrote:
I just uploaded a basic install of the 6012 EX3_1 extender ... Try it and see if it will work without locking up in yours.

Uploaded it into my 8810w. Same problem. It all crashed. So, something ain't right!

Perhaps I need to upload a copy of my virgin remote download, to see if anything is different there?

Since others experienced the same problem I don't suspect it is a physical problem with the remote but we can't rule out that there may be a difference in versions of the remote. You can try to upload your original download just to make sure it is getting uploaded correctly. You may see some differences in the raw data but that is normal.

I am suprised there are not others posting success/failures with 3_1. When I get a chance I will look at the 2 versions of the extender and see what is different (unless someone else already knows?)
klinckman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with the 3.1 extender on an 8810w, I didn't check the regular buttons, but was trying to get a toadtog to work and it wouldn't, after fighting with it for a night, I looked online and saw a recommendation for the 2.4 version and it works great.
digitize

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that I was not the only one with problems with the extender. I thought it was me and that it was something silly. I spent hours on this and in the end went back to Walmart and did an exchange to get the extender to work. I opened up the units and did not see any major hardware differences. I bought three units for my setup at home. I had one of the three remotes working for a few weeks and then it failed and I could not bring the extender back to life. I did the 981 reset and it worked fine without the extender. So on that unit I gave up. Something is not right. I tried several versions and still had problems....too bad because I really like this remote and will probably end up dumping it for something else that works with an extender.
Knees1339

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitize wrote:
I'm glad to see that I was not the only one with problems with the extender. I thought it was me . . . Something is not right. . . . I really like this remote and will probably end up dumping it for something else that works with an extender.

It's unclear to me that it's a problem with the remote. If 2.4 works and 3.1 doesn't, presumably it's a coding issue?

I don't know anything about programming for these remotes, though, so maybe it is the hardware?

Interestingly, I have noticed that in my 8810w, the 2.4 extender spontaneously deactivates from time to time--it's as if the remote has somehow reset while I'm not using it. I'm not aware of having dropped the remote (although I'm pretty careless, so it's possible) prior to the resets. It usually takes me a while to figure out why my keymoves are no longer working.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knees1339 wrote:
Interestingly, I have noticed that in my 8810w, the 2.4 extender spontaneously deactivates from time to time--it's as if the remote has somehow reset while I'm not using it.

I have had similar problems with my extended 2104 (the extenders are similar). I finally figured out it has to do with weak batteries... we use the backlight constantly which really drains 'em. The remote usually resets itself when doing something like scrolling through the cable guide, where there are multiple key presses close enough together to leave the backlight on for several minutes.

So, whenever the remote starts acting up, I change the batteries and all is well (after re-enabling the extender, of course).
Knees1339

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
I have had similar problems with my extended 2104 (the extenders are similar). I finally figured out it has to do with weak batteries...

These are actually new batteries, anyway. I suppose it's possible there's one dud in there, or something.

I'm due to buy some batteries soon anyway. When I do, I'll swap out these, and see if I get improved results.

Still, there's certainly some erratic extender behavior happening with this remote.
lisadaveh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: I think It may be the remotes Reply with quote

Of Course I am a Newbie, but I feel like i have a great handle on this stuff already.

Anyway, I have Two IDENTICAL OFA 8810w Wal-Mart Remotes (Bought at same store/time). I had them both setup with just the IR program, but wanted more especially macros on device keys. I figured that with IR and Keymaster, I wouldn' need the learning keys and the macros are a great benefit.

So, I programmed my remote with the 3.1 Extender. Works Perfectly, and never crashes. After about 2 days of tweaking I got it just the way i like it, and I showed my wife the new capabilities. She liked the macros on the device keys alot, and I decided to upload it to her IDENTICAL remote. (of course as you will find out, it did NOT work and I had to switch her back to the regular remote setup thus increasing her confusion about what does what now.) (Wife Acceptance Factor is dropping off a cliff he he he)

Needless to say, her IDENTICAL remote will take the upload, but as described earlier in the post, after pressing TV and POWER to activate the extender, the remote just locks. Most buttons do not work, and then sometimes they will, but I have no clue what it is sending. I did notice that when I activate the extender on MY remote, the 4 blinks of the light happen very rapidly, whereas when I activate the extender on HER remote, the light blinks once long, followed by three medium length beeps.

So, to summarize:

Extender 3.1 on MY remote works perfectly (great job, excellent stuff!)

Extender 3.1 on my WIFES remote just crashes the remote and gives different 4 blinks as noted above.

Extender 3.1 virgin file (the one created when i executed the BAT file) crashes on my WIFES remote, but works fine on MY remote.

Of course, I would really like to see some solution for this, as my wife was really interested in the way my remote functions with the extender. I heard that the 2.4 extender may work for remotes that 3.1 is crashing on. Is it a hard transition to make down to 2.4 for her remote? Does 2.4 have a similar featureset ( I am only really using macros, no toadtogs, pauses, etc.)

Also, just tell me what files/ whatever you want posted from my two remotes, and I will happily oblige. Maybe my two remotes can give you the clue to figure out exactly what differences exist between identical 8810W remotes.

Thanks for your help,

David P. Hofstra
Mishawaka, IN
lisadaveh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: ... and about the batteries... Reply with quote

I tried to switch batteries from the two remotes, and my wifes still did not take the extender, whereas my remote did take the extender.... even with the original batteries from each switched. ( I really hope that made sense)

Dave Hofstra
lisadaveh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Sorry, third reply to myself.. Reply with quote

I have takent my WIFES remote which does not run with extender 3.1 installed as noted in post above, and I have installed 2.4 version of extender. So far it works perfectly, all functions I wanted with the 3.1 extender appear to be available to me in the 2.4 version. Right now everthing is kosher so long as it doesnt crash every couple of days like earlier posts mentioned.

I do notice one other thing, that with my WIFES remote, when activating the 2.4 extender, I also get 1 long blink followed by 3 medium blinks. This differs as noted above from MY remote with 3.1 where it has 4 very rapid blinks to activate the extender.

I am a little too scared to try the 2.4 in MY remote to see if the lights blink in a different manner, but If someone here thinks it is important, I will be glad to do my duty. Right now I am happy where everything is set so long as it doesnt crash all the time or anything.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry, third reply to myself.. Reply with quote

lisadaveh wrote:
I do notice one other thing, that with my WIFES remote, when activating the 2.4 extender, I also get 1 long blink followed by 3 medium blinks. This differs as noted above from MY remote with 3.1 where it has 4 very rapid blinks to activate the extender.

The 4 remotes I've used extenders on (2 15-2104's 1.8, URC-6012w v2.4, URC-8810w v2.4), all have done the 1 long blink followed by 3 medium blinks. I haven't yet tried the 3.1 extender on the 8810w, so I can't confirm the same problems others have reported with it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you verify that the model version number is the same for both remotes (ie, the B00 bit at the end). If you think you can open the remotes without scratching them all up, it would also be helpful to know what revision numbers, etc are written on the PCB.
lisadaveh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can verify that the TWO remotes in question both have identical numbers URC-8810B00 on the battery casing. I have opened one of these remotes before and I did scratch the heck out of it... but if it meant the betterment of mankind, I would gladly do it again to check out the PCB's. Or if someone has a 8810w that works with 3.1 and is easy to open, then I can open only the one that will not accept the 3.1 extender and we can compare notes. That way I only have to scratch up one remote.

(of course I still have the box and reciept, and was kinda thinking about returning it in favor of one that works with 3.1 so I feel better.)

Also, there is a white sticker on the inside compartment of the battery that reads 'G032905' on both remotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: