JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Got IR and RM working in linux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:

In the menu bar, Remote -> Interface -> JP1.X Serial

Yes I did that.

That tells rmir to use serial rather than parallel.

What tells it which serial port to use? I have only one, but I'm not sure even Mepis knows that, much less rmir.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the discussion starting at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74998#74998

When you click Remote -> Interface -> JP1.X Serial you should see a dialog giving you the choice to
  • Auto-detect
  • Choose from the known, available Serial ports
  • Enter the name of an Other port

Turns out that doesn't work with the latest driver, because 2 functions RMIR uses for that were left out of the .so file.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
See the discussion starting at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74998#74998

When you click Remote -> Interface -> JP1.X Serial you should see a dialog giving you the choice to
  • Auto-detect
  • Choose from the known, available Serial ports
  • Enter the name of an Other port

Turns out that doesn't work with the latest driver, because 2 functions RMIR uses for that were left out of the .so file.

Sorry for the oversight. I have uploaded a minimally tested 32-bit Linux binary version here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6440

I confirmed this works with my setup with basic functions. The dialog for the port works.

John - you can get jp12serial.cpp_0.12 from the source area to build it 64-bit. Thanks for your help in testing!

I will upload updated full packages later.

xnappo
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built the new one. I don't know if I ignored some errors in using the last Makefile_Linux or whether new problems were added. It was harder to get it built this time.

After selecting JP1.X Serial, if I select either Auto-detect or /Dev/ttyS0 there is a significant pause on the subsequent "Download from Remote" while the 8820 double blinks. Then rmir says "No remotes found". If I select a different /Dev/ttyS then there is no pause and no effect on the 8820 and "No Remotes found" is instant".

The 8820 is fine after the attempt (I don't need to remove a battery as I needed with the previous version of libjp12serial.so).

Still not making much progress.

Now I need to find those suggested test programs and try to figure out how to build them and/or download and use 32bit versions.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:

Still not making much progress.

Now I need to find those suggested test programs and try to figure out how to build them and/or download and use 32bit versions.

The test programs are with the source, just run 'make -f Makefile_Linux jp12test.exe' ...

xnappo
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:

Also - have you tried running IR with WINE? Does that work?

First several times it had all sorts of problems: access violation dialogs were popping up, lots of error messages in the shell window I started it from about unimplemented ntoskrnl functions, IR.exe kept forgetting the rdf directory I gave it. Every download from the remote double blinked both the remote and the indicator in bottom left of IR and when sometimes it reported the correct signature in an rdf not found error message. But regardless of whether it reported rdf not found or not, it never had any data, no raw data, no indication that it knew the remote type, nothing. Also no behaviors other than having no data and double blinking was reproducible. Different errors every time I tried the same thing.

Then it started working. I hadn't changed a thing.

The jp12test and rmir still fail totally. Wild guess is they never set the right baud rate on the serial port. Any way to test that?

xnappo wrote:

The test programs are with the source, just run 'make -f Makefile_Linux jp12test.exe'

I already edited Makefile_Linux enough that I can do that. But it certainly didn't start out able to do that. Then I needed to mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get it to find libjp12serial.so, then I added lots of printfs to get a clue what it is doing. I didn't really get any clue.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="johnsfine"]
xnappo wrote:

The jp12test and rmir still fail totally. Wild guess is they never set the right baud rate on the serial port. Any way to test that?

I doubt it is the baud rate, but there are a TON of other serial port settings that could cause a failure. When I first started messing with this, the only way anything would work was if I turned off my computer, turned it on, ran IR using WINE and THEN ran RM-IR. I figured out that the problem was that the serial driver wasn't specifying all of the serial parameters. To debug, I used the command 'stty -a -F <port>' to report how the port was set after running IR and then added those settings to the serial driver.

Not sure if that will help or not...

xnappo
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a bug with the RM-IR wrapper function for writing to the remote in version 0.12 of the driver and earlier. I have uploaded version 0.13 with this fixed.

xnappo
rollinns

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Still no dice Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm excited to finally get into this, but have been unable to get it to work for me. I'll try to give as much details as I can:

Ubuntu 8.10
I installed Remote master and RM-IR with the Wine installer
IR715 is in a folder inside my Home folder and I also placed a copy of that folder in the \Program Files\www.hifiremote.com\ folder

The remote is a URC-9910B01 running through a Serial SimpleRev5 cable.

When I hit the "Download from Remote" button a pop-up says "ready to download from remote, I click ok then it waits about 30 seconds and another says "Failed to open JP1.x interface.

I have not done any "make" stuff to anything as I was unsure how much was necessary with ubuntu 8.10 since many of the tutorials referenced are undated and the references are from people running 7.04 and other old versions. (this could be why it's not working yet)

I did do a "sudo chmod 0666 /dev/parport0"

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance,

Lee
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-9910B01 is a JP1 remote, not JP1.2/3. You say you are using the Serial SimpleRev5 cable, then you say you get the message "Failed to open JP1.x interface". And then you say that you did "sudo chmod /dev/parport0" implying you really have a JP1 Simple Parallel port cable. Which one is it?

I'm not aware of anyone else trying a JP1 Serial cable on Linux.
rollinns

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I didn't realize I was implying anything.
Sorry for being such a noob, Sad I'm trying to learn, but I also didn't realize JP1 and JP1.2/3 were incompatible.

it's this one:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/files/interfaces/SimpleRev5.pdf
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a JP1 Parallel cable. I would think the instructions for Ubuntu 7.04 would still work for Ubuntu 8.10. I would try selecting the correct interface in IR before trying: Interface -> JP1 Parallel...
I can't offer much more help than that, as I haven't actually tried.

If you get stuck with IR and Wine, there is another option: RMIR
It's not completely finished yet, but for someone just getting started and using the basics, it might get the job done. It doesn't run under Wine, it's a Java application. RMIR is discussed here and here.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I'm trying to use rmir in 64 bit Mepis Linux.

John, any chance that this will lead to you providing DecodeIR shared libraries as part of the 'normal' DecodeIR distribution? Support for decoding learned IR signals is almost as important as being able to upload to/download from remotes.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't figured out how to make my NTFS USB hard drive (with DecodeIR and all my other IR tools) readable in user mode or writable even in root mode in Linux. (I know what to do in fstab for a drive that is always there, but it doesn't seem to work for a drive that is sometimes there).

I don't have a lot of time to work on either IR or Linux.

If extra layers of file transfer are involved (rather than direct Linux access to the NTFS USB hard drive) it may be easier for me to create a Linux version of the DecodeIr distribution, rather than merge them. But I don't know when I have time for even that.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM v1.91 has been released and includes a number of fixes/enhancements to RMIR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: