JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New PS2 remote & more
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: New PS2 remote & more Reply with quote

Could anybody with new PS2 remote (SCPH-10420) take some time and learn codes for all the keys, please? The codes at yahoo do not have many buttons e.g. "power" and "reset".

Also, regarding posting to yahoo group... Most of the upgrades are final versions tailored for particular remote model and author's taste. It seems much more logical for those who have OEM remotes to learn ALL the buttons and upload like that. Whoever uses the upgrade will be able to assign functions that the author might consider useless.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what we ask people to do, the trick is getting them to do it.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... there is a solution, but it is more of a headache than a real one: to separate two KM formats. One for device side with protocol id and function codes, another for remote configuration with remote type, buttons and key moves. But again, splitting perfectly working code would be such a time waste.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM and RM already do that. That's exactly why there are seperate tabs for Functions and Buttons.

The Functions tab is supposed to be a generic list of the known available functions of the device.

The Buttons tab is the mapping of those known functions onto the buttons available on the user's remote.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said "separate two KM formats" I meant those .txt files at yahoo... and I already admitted it is not such a good idea. Technically, KM could load/save function configuration separately. But saving remote configuration separately is a bad idea.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But like Greg said, that's the idea with the current KM and RM files. If the user has created the upgrade properly, they should have included the OBCs (or EFCs) for every button on their original remote, plus any additional codes that they have discovered that work (such as discrete codes, etc).

Then they would have assigned the functions to buttons that make sense for their remote.

In most cases, when the next user loads this upgrade into KM or RM, and they change the selected remote to some other remote, 90% or more of the buttons will still be assigned to the most sensible button, leaving just a few for the user to customize to their taste.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
90% or more of the buttons will still be assigned to the most sensible button

Yeah, I saw that. I'm just curious, how this assignement works? By function name?

BTW original topic was about PS2 remote... Wink Last time I saw them, they were about $30. It's kind too much for me just to learn two or three codes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for how RM does it, but in KM there is a hidden chart that links "similar" buttons together. For example, if the upgrade file has a function assigned to the DISPLAY button, and your remote has an INFO button instead, the function will be assigned to that button.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak for how RM does it.

The available buttons on the remote are defined in the RDF file, in the [Buttons] section. The format of a button definition includes a generic, standardized name in addition to the name as printed on the remote. It is this generic standardized name that RM uses for matching buttons between remotes.

For more details see RDF3Spec.doc
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwwoholic wrote:
BTW original topic was about PS2 remote... Wink Last time I saw them, they were about $30. It's kind too much for me just to learn two or three codes.

You can always search for those missing codes by trying all the unused EFC's between 000 and 256. The hard way would be using SET-#-#-# while the easier method would be to map the unused EFC's in an upgrade and try them that way.

In either case, you could probably find the codes tonight instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you. Wink
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
In either case, you could probably find the codes tonight instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you. Wink

You are right and I'm one lazy bastard. I't just I saw many warnings on this site regarding some codes wrecking havoc on TVs. I was afraid to accidentally break a PlayStation. Another reason - it is essentially a combination device i.e. game console + DVD. AFAIK Sony often uses multiple device numbers for multifunction electronics. So, it is potentially much more than 256 codes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're concerns would be valid with a TV, but I think you're OK with a playstation. Plus, I think from Sony's point of view, it's just a DVD player, so I'm guessing that all the commands use the same protocol and device code(s).

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the mountain will not come to Mohammed, Mohammed goes to WalMart... I'm uploading a new Sony_PS2_VIDEO-1550.txt with all the buttons on SCPH-10420U remote. Enjoy.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find any extras?
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I suspected Sony uses two different sub-devices (73 and 218). This alone was enough for my laziness to kick in. So, instead of going through all 512 codes I have bought a remote, learned all the keys and returned it to the store. Not nice, I know, but thirty bucks...

Anyway, besides having complete set of buttons present on PS2 Controller this remote adds Open/Close and Reset/On/Off buttons. The latter one works differently depending on the time it is pressed. I believe I'll be able to use delays to achieve discrete on/off for my toads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: