JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Toshiba 57H82 projection TV and discrete input commands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asinsh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Toshiba 57H82 projection TV and discrete input commands Reply with quote

My sister-in-law has a Toshiba 57H82 projection TV and I am trying to program a remote for it by 'remote control'...the TV is located across the country from where I am so I need to program the remote and mail it to her and I can't experiment.

I suspect the remote is the same as the 1156 codes that are in the files section at Yahoo, but I note that those do not include any discrete codes for tuning to video 1/2/3/antennae. And I have seen a few posts saying that Toshiba TVs don't have discrete control of inputs.

So, my question is this: assuming I am correct that there is no discrete input codes for this tv (please let me know if I am wrong!!), what is the workaround?

I've seen a few posts that say that if I press CH+ that will take me to antennae and then if I press tv/video that will take me to video 1. BUT I had my sister-in-law try that with the real remote and she reports that hitting CH+ does take it to antennae but hitting tv/video seems only to have it report what channel it is on. A second press of tv/video brings it to video 1 (according to her).

Is this correct? Should I program the remote so that the TV on macro sends CH+, tv/video, tv/video in order to get to video 1?

Thanks for any help on this...I'd hate to mail the remote an dhave to have her mail it back for further tweaking.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would believe what she says.

I have 2 Toshibas, and they each work differently.
The first is an older model, and the workaround you've read about would work for it.

The 2nd is only a year or two old, and when I press TV/Video it displays a menu of the available inputs, with the currently active one highlighted. Pressing TV/Video more times will cycle through the list. It also allows me to press a number (0-4) to directly pick the desired input. 0 = antenna, 1 = Video 1, 2 - Video 2, 3 = Video 3, 4 = Colorstream. Maybe her TV offers something similar.

I've done a couple of long-distance remote configurations.
What I learned is that
  1. You are going to miss something
  2. Provide the person at the other end a JP1 cable
  3. Talk them through the process of installing IR.
  4. Make sure they can upload to the remote
  5. Send them an IR file so that you talk them through the process of saving the IR file on their computer, loading it into IR, and uploading it to their remote.
They don't have to understand any of what they see in IR, and you'll be doing all the tweaking on any upgrades, keymoves, and macros, but at least that way you have a chance to update their remote config without having to ship is back and forth.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
asinsh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
...The 2nd is only a year or two old, and when I press TV/Video it displays a menu of the available inputs, with the currently active one highlighted. Pressing TV/Video more times will cycle through the list. It also allows me to press a number (0-4) to directly pick the desired input. 0 = antenna, 1 = Video 1, 2 - Video 2, 3 = Video 3, 4 = Colorstream. Maybe her TV offers something similar....

I'll have her check that...but are you saying that the sequence is the following:

CH+
TV/Video

(where you put a digit in after you hit TV/Video to specify the input)?

Quote:
...I've done a couple of long-distance remote configurations.
What I learned is that
  1. You are going to miss something
  2. Provide the person at the other end a JP1 cable
  3. Talk them through the process of installing IR.
  4. Make sure they can upload to the remote
  5. Send them an IR file so that you talk them through the process of saving the IR file on their computer, loading it into IR, and uploading it to their remote.
They don't have to understand any of what they see in IR, and you'll be doing all the tweaking on any upgrades, keymoves, and macros, but at least that way you have a chance to update their remote config without having to ship is back and forth.

Eureeka, that's a great great idea. Thanks.
asinsh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm wondering whether I need to send a CH+ at all. If you hit TV/Video when the TV is just in the regular on state at some random input, will that bring you to the menu you talked about so that the sequence can just be:

TV/Video

to get to Video Input 1?

And one more question: how fast do the Toshiba sets react during power up? If I use an extender and give her fast macros, will her initial power-up macro (TV, Power, TV/Video, 1, Sattelite) work or does the Toshiba fail to recognize remote commands for a second or two after you first push the power button?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Toshiba, the CH+ is not needed.

My Toshiba is not projection, so hers might be quite different, but it does take a second or two after power up before accepting additional commands. For me, it isn't just the TV that has a delay after power on. All my devices do. The TV, the receiver, even the DVD player.

This is why I've chosen to have global power macros on the power button (short=on, long=off), and use macros on the device buttons only for input selection.

It is also intuitive. My family is used to having to turn the TV on before watching it. So pressing the power button first seems quite natural. It's just that now ALL the devices turn on/off, not just the TV.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: