JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any 2K eeprom ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_spaz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Any 2K eeprom ?? Reply with quote

Hi,

Will any 2K eeprom work for the URC8017? thanks...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the 2k refers to BYTES not BITS. Chips are usually labelled for the number of bits that they hold, so 2k bytes = 16k bits.

The part number you should look for is 24C16 (where the middle letter is sometimes different). You also want to look for a surface mount part (ie, SOIC rather than DIP).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory JP1 remotes require lower power eeproms than you might find for non battery powered applications. Some people have used eeproms for JP1 well outside their spec'ed operating range without serious problems. But I'd suggest looking at specs and selecting one at least close to being in spec.

In the 8017 the eeprom will be operated a 2 to 3 volts. That is below the voltage spec for many eeproms and I'd try to avoid those. Other eeproms are spec'ed as working at those voltages but needing slower write operations than they would need at full voltage. Don't worry about that. The eeprom write processes all go at the chip's speed and are very tollerant (won't easily time out) if the chip is slower than typical.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, here is a link to the spec's on Atmel's version
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc0180.pdf

That spec says normal speed for 2.7 to 5.5 volts and slower for voltages down to 1.8. That spec is fine for JP1.
_spaz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the info guys...

so with that said, where can I get one of these. Can't seem to find them at Radio Shack....any recommendations?

thanks.
AlphaWolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know if a 27C would work instead? (I don't know the difference between 24C and 27C)
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 27Cxx in an OTP (One Time Programmable) EPROM and won't work. A 24Cxx is a serial (I2C) EEPROM with I/O capabilities required by JP1 remotes.

Last edited by Mark Pierson on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony uses the M24C16-MN6T(A) in many of their late model TVs which seems to work but would be a little expensive ($10) unless you happen to have a junk TV chassis laying around (which I did). This is an STMicroelectronics version I believe. There could be voltage issues but mine seems to be working for now. If you found a Sony servicer in a large city he might have some around since we normally swap the old eeprom onto a new board to avoid having to go through setup procedures.
classicsat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to rip something from old cell phones. Not too old though, as most the real old ones use either dinky EEPROMs, SPI 96Cxx EEOPROMs, and/or ones in full sized DIP packages. When I can, I could take the 24c32 EEPROM from a somewhat recent (97-97-98 era) phone.
AlphaWolf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
Sony uses the M24C16-MN6T(A) in many of their late model TVs which seems to work but would be a little expensive ($10) unless you happen to have a junk TV chassis laying around (which I did).

Know anything about this part? M24C16-WBN6

I found it for $2 at a place that I am about to order other stuff from anyways, so the shipping wont be a problem. They also have M24C16-MN6T for $9. Both of these parts are made by panasonic apparently. I don't really care which is better quality, just so long as it works.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a DIP package (has through hole pins) . You'd probably have to mount it on a daughter board and connect with lead wires. The M24c16-MN6T is the Sony memory chip , technically it's a 5 volt device but did work for me in a URC6131 (some specs just list it as a 5.5 volt max device with no lower voltage rating). The -WMN6 version is the low voltage type. The M24 designates a STMicroelectronics manufactured device , the "W" is the low voltage version.

I suspect you're looking at MCM Electronics (I have an open account with them -- I order on a weekly basis). They claim to have picked up the STMicro product line so they should have access to the M24c16-WMN6 chip. You'd probably have to ask them specifically about it.

You're looking for a 2 wire serial bus or I2C bus , 16k (2kx8) , SO-8 or SOIC-8 package , 2.5 - 5 volt , serial eeprom. There are a lot of manufacturers which is why they can be so cheap. My UEI "official" upgrade was a Catylyst 24WC08j , half size , so I just re-upgraded them.

Mouser Electronics has the data sheets for most of the various eeproms available. I ended up with the Catalyst (CAT24WC16J -- $0.61) from them. I also ordered dip headers for the PC board and Molex connectors and pins for the interface. You can get the parallel port shell there too. If you're thinking about the future and may end up with more than one JP1 remote you can buy a lot of upgrades cheaply. Mouser has no minimum and actual shipping costs only.
gfoster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the following on a REALLY old celphone:

CAT24C16J14

Will this do the trick ?

Greg.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably but I couldn't find any spec sheets on the Catalyst 24c16 series , only on the 24wc16 series. Since the chip manufacturers seem to be phasing out the 5.5 volt versions and directly substituting 1.5 or 2.5 volt versions (since they work on the higher voltages also) ; I suspect this is a 5 or 6 volt device which may or may not accept writen data reliably. The parallel port voltages on your PC may determine the success of using it (batteries in , batteries out , other computer , etc for test options). I would suggest not pushing ANY keys prior to a reset with a JP1 cable and IR.exe or an upload with a correct (for your remote) eeprom image.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: