JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anybody want a "new style" URC-9910?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Anybody want a "new style" URC-9910? Reply with quote

OFA has replaced the donut ring on the URC-8910 with regular arrow buttons, but they are not planning on fixing the URC-9910 until next year.

So, this got me thinking. Is there anyone out there that doesn't want to wait for one of the new URC-9910s?

If so, I can buy a box of URC-8910s and modify some of them using the RF pucks and command centers from some old Producer 8.

Post here if you'd be interested.
Rojma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Producer 8 and a newer 8910 and was thinking of doing just this! Do you have instructions on doing this and/or how much would you charge if I sent the remotes to you for you to do it. Please let me know. Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is open up the URC-9800 and remove the RF puck. Then solder the puck into place on the URC-8910.

To remove the puck all you need to do is remove the solder from the 4 pins that hold it in place. The plastic pole should remain with the puck, not the PCB.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have desolder the puck on the 9800, but before you can install it in the 8910, you need remove alot of glue covering the holes where the puck goes on 8910.Sad
SilentBob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought some 9910's had the ring and some had arrow buttons. How is what you are talking about doing different from the 9910 with the arrow buttons?

What I WOULD be interested in is a 9910 with more transmit power. Is there any way to do that?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread is about taking a non-RF remote and making it RF. Both types of 9910's are already RF. If you want to make IR on the 9910 stronger, try pushing the emitter further out of the casing.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Can a 2116 be upgraded to a 2117? Reply with quote

Rob,

Assuming the 9811B00 that I just ordered from X10 is actually has RF as we expect - would I be able to take the RF puck from it and change my RS 15-2116 into a 2117? I may not actually want to do this, but if it is possible I may consider doing it.

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. Long before the 15-2117 hit the streets, I converted my 15-2116 into a 15-2117 by transplanting the puck from an old URC-9800.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Yes you can. Long before the 15-2117 hit the streets, I converted my 15-2116 into a 15-2117 by transplanting the puck from an old URC-9800.

I had picked up some 15-1995s for about $7.00 apeice on clearance, and for a while (pre-Tivo) I was using a Frankensteined 2116/17/1995. I put the puck in the 2116 and since they were apart anyway, put the 1995 faceplate on the 2116 body. Worked great!

Wish I had a place to put a puck in my 6131, though. Sad

Also wish the 6131 was backlit. (Hint hint Mr. forum owner with UEIC connections) Very Happy I really do think that the 6131 would sell a ton more if it were backlit.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jherrick wrote:
Wish I had a place to put a puck in my 6131, though. Sad

What you need is this...
http://www.surfremotecontrol.com/remote_xtender.html

jherrick wrote:
Also wish the 6131 was backlit. (Hint hint Mr. forum owner with UEIC connections) Very Happy I really do think that the 6131 would sell a ton more if it were backlit.

Oh I have ever "been there and done that" already. Not only should it have a backlight, but there should be an 8-device version with learning. But do they listen to me? Well, sometimes, but not always! Smile

When I first saw the design for the 6131, the Replay and Skip buttons were reversed and there wasn't a stand alone PVR button (there was a VCR/PVR button), but thankfully they fixed both of those gaffs after I pointed them out!
Rojma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
All you need to do is open up the URC-9800 and remove the RF puck. Then solder the puck into place on the URC-8910.

To remove the puck all you need to do is remove the solder from the 4 pins that hold it in place. The plastic pole should remain with the puck, not the PCB.

Thank you thank you thank you! I was able to successfully remove the puck from my old 9800 remote and put it into my 8910. The 8910 now works perfectly with the RF base station.

OK well I didn't do it because I usually end up burning a hole in something when I use a soldering iron, but my roommate who is very good at soldering did it for me. Luckily the glue wasn't covering any of the holes so we did not have to worry about cleaning off any excess glue.

Note about the puck (in case anyone else out there is looking to do the same thing). We had to rotate the puck 180 degrees in the 8910 (from the way it was in the 9800) so that it would fit and so that the pins would connect to the proper holes on the PCB.

Question about the "plastic pole". There were actually two poles. One with the pins and another one directly across from it on the puck that seemed to serve no purpose except to give it extra support. We initially removed this second pole because we thought it would not fit with the pole attached. We later discovered we had the puck oriented the wrong way (and hence rotated it 180 degrees) and found out that the support plastic pole probably would've fit. Is this pole necessary and should we put it back on?
SilentBob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was talking about giving the 9910 more transmit power, I was talking about RF transmit power, not IR....

But my question to Robman still remains, how is adding RF to the "new" 8910 different from the 9910s that have the arrow keys instead of the donut?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentBob wrote:
But my question to Robman still remains, how is adding RF to the "new" 8910 different from the 9910s that have the arrow keys instead of the donut?
You need to nice the date of the post you are referring to, I made that post in October of 2003. At that time, they had released the new arrow key URC-8910 remotes, but not the arrow key URC-9910 remotes, so if you wanted an arrow key 9910 before they were actually available, you would have had to make one yourself.
SilentBob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops...sorry about that Robman....makes perfect sense now....

Now if they could just add "page up" and "page down" Buttons to this remote....

Maybe I need to look at using this trick to add RF to one of the other remote styles.

Has anyone attempted adding the RF puck to an Atlas DVR?
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentBob wrote:
Maybe I need to look at using this trick to add RF to one of the other remote styles.

Has anyone attempted adding the RF puck to an Atlas DVR?

Unless the circuit board was designed to accept one, adding an RF puck to any other remote would be more difficult than it would be worth. I suppose it is possible, if you want to design your own mounting scheme, run your own traces, and determine the necessary extra components. But then why not just buy the product Rob has referred to in the post following mine above? The battery compartment RF emitter is a much more practical use of your money and time.

Disclaimer: I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from engineering/reverse engineering or development. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: