JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

odd behavior with 3-way bulb lamp??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chas6000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: odd behavior with 3-way bulb lamp?? Reply with quote

am trying to use IR543 and lamplink 2000sc module to control a lamp with 3-way bulb and switch. the module works quite well with simple single filament lamp. i thought that with the 3-way bulb, that if i left the switch on the highest watt bulb setting i could just use this as if it were a simple filament type lamp.

but with the 3-way bulb and the module, it works only intermittently and oddly. can get it to come on and dim but not come back up - at this point it wont repond at all. i can 'reset' the effect by using the lamp switch and what appears to be the lowest watt setting will turn the lamp on.

anyone know what is going on and why a 3-way bulb would work oddly when a single filament bulb works fine??

thanks
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be that 3-way lamps have multiple contacts, and the sequence is OFF-ON-ON-ON-OFF, while the modules (I think) only recognize OFF-ON-OFF.
chas6000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Thanks Mark but ... Reply with quote

Thanks Mark but ...

if I am leaving the 3-way bulb switch alone, why would the X10 dimming module not behave similarly to its behavior with a simple switched lamp?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... dunno! Confused Surprised

Is there a wattage rating on the module that's being exceeded by the bulb perhaps? I wonder if it might have something to do with resistance within the socket (at the contacts) or something?

In the past, I've had 3-way lamps with regular 1-way bulbs controlled by standard X10 lamp modules without any problems. I can't test anything regarding this because we no longer have any 3-way lamps in the house.
chas6000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea Mark -- but the module is rated for 300W and the highest filament of the bulb is 250W. i gather that you no longer have any 3way bulbs around because all your stuff is on X10 dimmers???

which other forums might have some more people with experience in this kind of area?

thanks for your help!

Mark Pierson wrote:
Ummm... dunno! Confused Surprised

Is there a wattage rating on the module that's being exceeded by the bulb perhaps? I wonder if it might have something to do with resistance within the socket (at the contacts) or something?

In the past, I've had 3-way lamps with regular 1-way bulbs controlled by standard X10 lamp modules without any problems. I can't test anything regarding this because we no longer have any 3-way lamps in the house.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chas6000 wrote:
which other forums might have some more people with experience in this kind of area?

At the top of this forum is a thread called "Useful X10 Links", there are links to other forums there.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chas6000 wrote:
i gather that you no longer have any 3way bulbs around because all your stuff is on X10 dimmers???

More like the Mrs. replaced all the 3-way lamps with regular ones when she redecorated! Surprised
chas6000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! - i appreciate the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: