JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Next Level Residential Gateway
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
resins15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Next Level Residential Gateway Reply with quote

I have a Next Level (N3) Residential gateway model # RG2C

Is there codes available for this device?

I'm using a 15-2133 remote. The remote with the gateway is an ir remote.

Thanks

Mike
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the #1 Code Search FAQ (see link in my signature)?
resins15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Answers to remaining questions Reply with quote

Yes I have a JP1 remote which is the Radio Shack 15-2133 Kameleon (6-in-0ne).

I do have the origional remote for the gateway device but there is something strange about this remote, I cant use the 15-2133 to learn any of the functions and I called Next Level tech support and they said the only known remotes which work with there device is the Sony RM-AV3100.

Is this N3 gateway something special? It wont work with any other remotes except the Sony or is he blowing smoke?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to save anyone else trying to figure out what this is, it's a Motorola RG2200. Apparently an STB for VOD over DSL. GI became NextLevel briefly before they were acquired by Motorola.

Tech support rarely understands much about IR commands, so I seriously doubt if a Sony universal remote can do something that an OFA remote can't.

Let's start with the basics. Save your configuration and do a 981 Manufacturer's reset before learning. Also, 2133's are notorious battery eaters so change the batteries and try learning again. In searching the web it looks like people with TiVo's were able to control these with IR, and that makes me think, it is a fairly standard IR command set.

Make sure that you start the learning process in the 2133 before you press the buttons on the OEM remote. If that still doesn't work just try to learn a sharp tap of the OEM remote.

Have you tried all the setup codes for GI and GI 4DTV cable boxes?
yountm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Next Level Residential Gateway Reply with quote

1. Device: Next Level/Motorola MNLC RG2200
2. Type of device: VDSL gateway
3. Remote model: URC-9910
4. JP1 user? yes
5. Still have original remote? yes
6. Checked Yahoo file section? yes
7. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes

I have a very similar situation with a Next Level gateway for Qwest's VDSL service. The remotes usually work via RF so they can't normally teach a learning remote. The gateway, however can receive IR and the remotes have a way of being switched to IR.

Having done so I tried learning some of the codes with my 9910 remote. This worked to the point that the remote will operate the learned functions. However, when I downloaded from the remote to the IR program most of the learned codes don't show EFC or Hex Command codes. Some that do have values such as "044 or 036 or 060" as the EFC and "CC or CD or CE" as the Hex Cmd". Most of the OBC codes are 0 but some have other values. As an example, the following are portions of the learned code for the "Prev" button:

Protocol: Async5:1272-1368:58.6D..55.FD
Device: 109
Sub-Device: 91
OBC: 85
Hex Cmd: (blank)
EFC: (blank)
Misc: 58 6D 5B 55 FD

A second line of this learned code is:

Protocol: Gas-1004-2331-16?
Device: 116
Sub-Device: (blank)
OBC: 0
Hex Cmd: (blank)
EFC: (blank)
Misc: D 8.0

These two lines are then releated.

I figure I'll run out of memory if I try to have the 9910 learn all of the buttons of the original remote but without the OBC and EFC codes I can't see how to take the learned codes and create a upgrade to upload back to the remote.

Is it possible to create an upgrade from this info (and how)? Better yet, has someone already created an upgrade the the Next Level RG2200 gateway?

Thanks!
Marv
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv, learn the numerals 0 through 9 and post the file saved in IR to the JP1 Yahoo group files|diagnosis area. That's the best way for us to figure out what is going on. Please read the sticky post about posting links to the JP1 files and post a link.
yountm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Next Level Learned Numerals Reply with quote

Thanks, Jon. When I did the save in IR it created 2 files - a .IR and a .txt file. Not knowing which is needed (or if both are) I zipped them and saved them in the Yahoo group diag area. The file name is NextLevelRG2200.zip

Thanks for any suggestions.

Marv
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a device upgrade here. It is based on an ExpressVue DSL STB (details here )that appears to use the same commands but a different device and sub-device than yours. It is also filed under SAT STB's and I don't think it is a SAT receiver.

I posted this under Devices|HDTV that has a description of "Codes for HDTV and Digital TV set-top boxes" as I know this is digital but assume it isn't actually HD.

BTW, thanks for using the new template with your original post and let us know if it works.

Last edited by jon_armstrong on Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
yountm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Upgrade doesn't seem different Reply with quote

Jon, when I open the upgrade you created in IR I don't see any difference with the sample I uploaded yesterday. Please forgive me if I've missed something simple. I'm getting the hang of JP1 there's still a lot I need to figure out.

By the way, for kicks I tried the Next Level ExpressVu file you mentioned. Looking at it with the RM program it seems very similar to the gateway remote I'm trying to use. Unfortunately when copy the output info to IR and upload it to my remote it doesn't work with the gateway.

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it.

Marv
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv, I uploaded the wrong file, duh! It's now correct. Use the same link above. Sorry for the confusion.
yountm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, I'm sorry to say the upgrade doesn't work. With the new file I can add the device and protocol in IR but it doesn't control the gateway when uploaded to the remote. Are there any other codes from the Next Level remote that might help pinpoint what's missing?

Thanks again for your time.

Marv
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv, Post your file from IR (the one with the IR suffix is sufficient) and let me take a look at what you did. Please also post a link.
yountm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, here's the IR file NextLevelRemote.IR.

I did make a small change to the file you provided but I didn't think it would break it. Using RM I changed the device type to cable since that most closely matches its function. That's the only change I made to your file.

Then I copied the device and protocol info to IR, set the code for CBL and uploaded it to the remote.

Marv
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marv, Let's try it one more time -- same link. Apparently I had device 1 and 2 reversed.
yountm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jon. That works much better. Most of the buttons on the remote work very well.

Apparently the ExpressVue remote you based this on is just a bit different. There are a few buttons it would be nice to remove and others to add to make this more closely match the Next Level gateway and remote.

Specifically, the remote has no "last/prev ch". This is different than the "prev" button that does work correctly (don't ask me why the ExpressVue seems to have two so similar buttons). Nor does the gateway remote have "A/B" or "dev select" buttons. Since these buttons had no effect when used it was easy enough to remove them from the upgrade file.

Where I'm still unable to make any headway is adding the missing buttons/functions to the upgrade file. I'm just not seeing how you took the minimal information from the learned buttons and came up with EFC, Hex, and OBC codes. The missing buttons are:
vol +
vol -
Menu
Mute
Fav
I was able to have the remote learn all these, though I had to choose a different button for Fav - the remote won't allow me to change the function of that button via learning.

I've posted a new copy of the NextLevelRemote.IR file that has all these changes. Would it be possible to incorporate the missing buttons into the upgrade file? If you feel you've invested enough time in this already, that's fine. I really do appreciate what you've already done. Anything more will be icing.

Thanks much!
Marv
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: