JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

XBOX button mapping
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zigger wrote:
Yup. That makes sense to me. What I wanted was a list of what codes they chose to include with my Cinema7 for each device and how they mapped them. It would still be interesting to find a spreadsheet that shows you how all the built in keys are mapped.

No such spreadsheet exists, but I'm still confused about alot of things here.

1) What is your end goal? In other words, if you had this information, what would you do with it, how would it change how you would program your remote?

2) Why can't you figure this out just by using the remote? In other words, if you have programmed DVD/0522 to the DVD button and you press (let's say) MENU, does it bring up the Xbox's menu? If it does, you've just determined that the MENU button is programmed with the MENU function. If it doesn't send a signal (ie, the red light doesn't light up) then it's not programmed as part of this setup code. If it does send a signal, but the Xbox doesn't respond, keymove the button to another button and use IR to show you what EFC was programmed to the button. If it sends a signal, but it performs some function other than MENU on the Xbox, just make a note of what the function is.

As you can (hopefully) see, you have the ability to answer all of your questions yourself, and the answers will of little or no use to you. Unless I'm still missing something.
zigger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get any Cinema 7 button to broadcast the "back" command. I thought one reason I couldn't find it is that maybe the xbox program I was controlling might have frozen temporarily. Let me explain...

This particular program on the xbox (media center) freezes a lot when I browse my network shares through it. The only time I need to use my "back" button is when I'm browsing my network and want to go back up a directory. So, if I was indeed pressing a button that was assigned the back command, the possible (several second) lag before the command was executed might have made me not detect the command was sent. Also, I might have overidden it or something with a new command in the lag time, I dunno.

Sounds very confusing I know which is why I didn't want to burden the thread with too much detail. Just wanted to get a quick "no such spreadsheet exists" which I eventually did and that's the end of that. Smile

One final reason I brought this issue up - I was making an excel sheet that showed every non-intuitive button map I had programmed into the remote so my wife or a friend could look it up. If I had a list in front of me of what funtions are assigned to what cinema 7 buttons (for built-in devices) it would have made the task much easier.

But I've got to the finish line anyhow:
-I made my own xbox device file which has every button of the xbox remote and I've uploaded it to the device directory at yahoo. Since I made it myself I know exactly what maps to what and it works great.
-All the other devices were created or imported by me so I controlled their mapping too so I had all the information I needed as soon as I made the xbox my own device instead of the built-in DVD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: