JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

BoseWave Macro help needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - One key bose macros work flawlessly every time. If I add TV commands before the bose commands, still works fine. When I add in a DVD/VCR command, things start getting unreliable.

Also, I do recall one test I did earlier where adding a delay before calling the DEV_AUD in the macro, it definitely did make the macro more reliable, although still far from 100%.

Tbone
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted my latest IR file over at Yahoo (diagnostics) in case anyone would like to check it out, it's called '2116 DKP MACRO TESTING 2.txt', I tried to link here to the URL there but failed.....

Thx,
Tbone
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbone03045 wrote:
I've posted my latest IR file over at Yahoo (diagnostics) in case anyone would like to check it out, it's called '2116 DKP MACRO TESTING 2.txt', I tried to link here to the URL there but failed.

Follow the link in my sig for guidance in posting links. My guess is that you tried to suffix the file name to the main URL with the spaces still in it, if that's what you did, that won't work. What you need to do is get the file name from the end of the really long URL that Yahoo uses for the file, that way all the spaces will be replaced with %20 instead and that will work.

Here's a working URL for your file:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/2116%20DKP%20MACRO%20TESTING%202.txt

And here's a "pretty" link: 2116 DKP MACRO TESTING 2.txt
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I did, Rob. Musta missed that line in your readme topic. Next time I'll get it right. Sorry about that!! While we're OT, how exactly do you do the quote thing where it puts the quote in a box and sticks the name of the quoted poster above it? I'm assuming it is related to the 'quote' button on the 'post a reply' page? I looked in the faq and the quidelines but didn't see this mentioned.

Tbone
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbone03045 wrote:
That's exactly what I did, Rob. Musta missed that line in your readme topic. Next time I'll get it right. Sorry about that!! While we're OT, how exactly do you do the quote thing where it puts the quote in a box and sticks the name of the quoted poster above it? I'm assuming it is related to the 'quote' button on the 'post a reply' page? I looked in the faq and the quidelines but didn't see this mentioned.

Tbone

If you press the button in the upper right hand corner of every post, you will be thrown to the standard reply screen, except that the entire post will be quoted (as shown here).

You can leave the quote "as is" or you can edit it. If you want to quote individual parts of the original message, you can do it like this...

Tbone03045 wrote:
That's exactly what I did, Rob.

And then you can reply to that bit.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, by rearranging my macros like I described a couple of replies back, and adding a delay before calling the Dev_Aud (the bose), I am now getting about a 90% recognition by the bose in the macros, guess this is the best I can expect from this setup, unless anyone has any further inputs.

Thanks for the assistance.

Tbone
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

... the best I can come up with is that there might not be a long enough gap between either the button prior to the Bose button, or the button after.

If it's the latter, that should be easy to fix just by giving this protocol a longer lead-out time. If it's the former, it's a little trickier but it can still be done.

Hi Rob - Since my testing indicates my macro problem would be related to 'the former' - I'm assuming from the way you wrote this that you mean some method other that just adding a delay as the last step of the previous device's command string before calling the Dev_Aud? Just how tricky would this be, and can you point me in the right direction to accomplish this?

Thx again,
Tbone
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manually adding a delay in the macro itself is fine. I was referring to changing the protocol exec to automatically put a delay at the beginning of every signal.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still plugging away at this....

I've got two questions at this point. The first has to do with the Readme doc for the 2116x2 extender. There are 3 pages worth of info on how to use the DEV_ commands in conjunction with the SET_xxx_KEYS commands, and then at the very end of that section, it says "While a DEV_ command is active, it applies to all keys. Any assignments made by the SET_xxx_KEYS commands are ignored." Is this a misprint or am I missing something here???

Question number two is more directly related to my bose problems. Turns out that it is not only a macro problem, it is also happening with commands from the keyboard. If I switch ONLY between my TV device and the bose, it works great, all day long. As soon as I hit either the VCR or DVD device button, and then go back to the Audio button (where the bose lives), it has a really hard time switching back over to the bose device. I can post my device selection macros, if it might help....

I'm gonna try uninstalling the extender tomorrow to see if that makes a difference, also going to set up my 8810 with a similar configuration and see what the results are there.....

Any more advice is more than welcome at this point.......

Thx again,
Tbone
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbone03045 wrote:
"While a DEV_ command is active, it applies to all keys. Any assignments made by the SET_xxx_KEYS commands are ignored." Is this a misprint or am I missing something here???

The DEV_ command remains active only while the remote is processing keystrokes from the macro buffer. It stops being active when the remote begins to process the next key from the keyboard. I think there is also a command than can be used to deactivate it sooner, but the need for that is rare.

That "ignored" does not mean the SET_xxx does nothing. The SET_xxx stores a copy of the current DEV_ selection for use later by that keyset. "Ignored" means that the values stored by earlier SET_xxx commands are temporarily ignored.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to ToddF for sending me in the right direction with his topic on 'Bizarre problem with RC5 protocol', this is EXACTLY what has been causing all of my problems with controlling my Bose! (My DVD and VCR are both RC5 devices...) I haven't got all of the bugs completely worked out yet but I'm at least halfway there, will finish it up this weekend probably.

Thanks Todd!

Tbone
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back, still trying to understand this....

Seeing as how it would appear that the bose protocol does not utilize the toggle bit in any way (from an admittedly uneducated look at the protocol builder spreadsheet of this protocol), then can someone explain to me why changing my VCR macro from:

DEV_AUD;SET_VOL_KEYS;DEV_VCR;Guide;phantom2;SET_LCD

to:

DEV_AUD;SET_VOL_KEYS;DEV_VCR;Guide;Enter;phantom2;SET_LCD

(Where 'Enter' is a do-nothing command to the VCR)

Makes my bose respond 100% of the time (after pushing the VCR button) versus almost 0% response with the previous VCR macro????

In case it matters:

'Guide' sets the player in VCR mode (it is a DVD/VCR Philips combo unit)
'VCR' protocol is RC5 device 5
'phantom 2' just sets the rest of the remote keys to the VCR device
Remote is a 2116 running the V2 extender

No flames for dragging this on and on please, I'm just trying to understand this toggle bit stuff (if that is really what is 'fixing' my macros...)

Thx again,
Tbone
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Bose and RC-5 protocols both have toggle bits, they are using the same counter to generate the toggle state. So the additional VCR command in the second macro changes the state of the "universal" toggle, which means the first Bose command to follow the steps in the macro would have the toggle bit in a different state in each of these macros.

This would tend to imply that the Bose DOES care about the toggle bit state.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to see the file saved from IR.exe containing all these macros, KeyMoves, device upgrades etc.

I don't want to write a long justification for disagreeing with what Rob just said. I really don't want to write a bunch of questions trying to clarify everything I don't understand about what Tbone said.

It's so much easier to just open the file in IR.exe, poke around a little and spot something wrong.
Tbone03045

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I deleted the files for the 'loaner' TV I had, but the IR file with my Advent TV hardly works at all (as far ae macros goes), so maybe you can spot what's wrong in that one. Hopefully this link works, it is here

Thx,
Tbone
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: