JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FYI - 15-2117 on Clearance for $15 at Radio Shack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: FYI - 15-2117 on Clearance for $15 at Radio Shack Reply with quote

I think this remote used to be $60. I just picked up 2 for $15 each. I think this is a pretty good deal especially since it is one of my favorite remotes.
sfhub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO this is an absolute amazing deal. 8 device remote, jp1, great
extender, rock solid build quality, RF extender, rocker volume/ch+-,
good backlight, powerful IR transmitter (I believe there are 2
transmitters), rubberized covering, etc.

The remote is now considered "devalued" by Radio Shack so they are
not getting any more shipments. Once these are gone, they are gone.
sumocomputers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up 2 in San Diego, great deal!

Thanks
Winky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the 15-1994 and I got one 15-2117 as a spare, just in case my 15-1994 dies. What is the main difference between 15-1994 and 15-2117 other than the LCD display, RF extender, and missing four smart keys?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winky wrote:
What is the main difference between 15-1994 and 15-2117 other than the LCD display, RF extender, and missing four smart keys?

Other than those you mentioned, it has a more recent code library... not that it matters to most JP1 users! Wink

From a JP1 perspective, it has a more robust extender (software) available, and allows macros on the device keys (with or without the extender).
jptheripper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pickeed this up as well (last one), box was marked 49.99, rang up 15. happy day.

is the only difference between the 2116 and the 2117 the rf capabilites? Ie if i program the 2116 (with extender) can i just dump that to the 2117?
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jptheripper wrote:
Ie if i program the 2116 (with extender) can i just dump that to the 2117?

Yes.
Revwillie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess those Kameleons are better sellers. Give me big, bright white rubber buttons any day of the week. I just found out where I can get a couple of the 2117s so I'll stock up.
laevi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a 15-2117 a couple of days ago too at the clearance price. I noticed that the blister pack containing the remote, etc. was stapled shut. Just wondering - all are other 15-2117 remotes packaged the same? I just want to make sure that I didn't buy some lemon that another customer returned. Thanks.
ToddF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the last one at my local store. It was obviously a return. The package wasn't even stapled, and the remote had batteries in it.

I can deduce the reason for the return by the first sentence the clerk asked when I wanted to know where the universal remotes were kept, "What components would you like to control with it?"

I'm guessing someone bought a $60 "universal" remote, got it home, discovered it wouldn't work with their equipment, and returned it. Just like the dozens of posters on the forums asking for remote codes for their specific component. No code for their component means the "universal" remote isn't really universal, and therefore is a lemon.

They say to Radio Shack, "The package says 'universal', but it's not. I want my $60 back!" I say to Radio Shack, "One mans' trash is another mans' treasure. Here's fifteen bucks for it." Tandy says, "It was made in China and only cost us $2 anyway. Enjoy. Would you like an extended warrantee or batteries with that?" (Yes, they did try to sell me the warrantee and batteries.)

Todd F.
Revwillie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToddF wrote:

Would you like an extended warrantee or batteries with that?" (Yes, they did try to sell me the warrantee and batteries.)

Todd F.

Well, after the manager told me on the phone there were 9 available at his store, I went there in person and was told by the new guy that they "could only find 2" in the back room. The manager's tone of voice on the phone was obvious suprise at the price. Then, the manager would not talk to me face to face in the store, only through the new guy. The second unit they "found" was a return and when I complained, the manager authorized a free one-year extended warrantee for me. Then the new guy said they had 4 4-packs of RS AAA's for ten bucks on special. I said OK and he rang it up incorrectly so that I basically got two 2117s and 16 batteries for 29 bucks and change. It's almost like they wanted to shuffle me out the door as quickly as possible for some reason.

I'm expecting to find 6 or 7 of them show up on ebay this week. Rolling Eyes
chas6000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they tried to push the batteries on me - but they forgot the extended warrantee!
ajohnson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, my local RS had one but it was missing the IR Extender and looked pretty beat up. I guess I'll keep looking.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, if a remote like the 15-2117 or 15-1994 (ie, one with that sort of finish) becaomes really dirty looking, you should take it apart and give the casing a really good scrub. You can totally restore it to it's original glory.
chico_woodhill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the local radio shack, and they didn't have the 2117 on sale, didn't know anything about the sale, and their computer system priced the units at $31.

The good news is they have 3 units. The bad is they won't sell them at the reduced price you guys received...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: