JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need to modify two 6131, looking for a little help/advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jksolheim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Need to modify two 6131, looking for a little help/advice Reply with quote

I found out about JP1 a couple of weeks ago and felt this was for me. I had just got two 6131 remotes for my 2 entertainment centers with TiVOs. I couldn't get the 6131 to properly control my Marantz receiver (controls power and volume only, no source control). So I figured JP1 was for me. I ordered a JP1 cable and a learning remote, but last night everything came to a halt when I realized that the 6131 is not JP1 ready.

From what I have read I need to add an eeprom to make it JP1 compatible. I have no idea what an eeprom is. It seems like I have 3 options.

1. Install the eeprom myself. At work we have an electronics dept. and I would think they could help me install this, but I spent a few hours searching for how to do this and what a eeprom is and where you get one last night and didn’t really find anything. Any help here would be appreciated.

2. It sounds like I could send my remotes in to a JP1 expert and have them modify them.

3. I did read some post were people were able to send the remote into the factory and they came back JP1 ready.

Am I correct that I only need to add the eeprom?

What path would you recommend me taking? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have 3 options

1) You will need to add an EEPROM and I believe a jumper wire but I forget the details. Others can jump in and give you the exact instructions should you choose this option and you could get the EEPROM from Rob for a reasonable cost.

2) Call the OneForAll help desk number in your manual and ask them for the device code that you don't have and they will instruct you to send in the remote. They will make it jp1 ready (actually replace it) and add the code and send it back to you. The only cost is the first shipping to them and about a weeks time. DO NOT mention jp1 to them. There is a problem with this in that they will only put in a 1K EEPROM and you really want 2K or greater (2K is plenty)

3) Return the two you purchased and order 2 already modified jp1 ready remotes from Rob. You can find his available remotes in the Market Place section of this forum.
broderp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kinda curious myself as to what chip was used and exactly what the modifications were.

I just bought one of Robs, so hopefully all will be well. The 6131 is one cool, well laid out remote IMO. For $23, and a bit of work, I can't go wrong.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the type for the EEPROM is 24C16 (2K bytes) and can be purchased at a variety of electronic supply centers online or even easier from Rob.

The 6131 does not need a jumper so, all that is needed to make a 6131 jp1able is the EEPROM and the 6 pin header.

I use one of Rob's modified 6131 for my kitchen TV (built in VCR and DVD) and HT system (yes, I have an HT system in my kitchen also) and it is great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: