JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic Receiver (SA-HE100 and others) Discrete Codes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbsmith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Panasonic Receiver (SA-HE100 and others) Discrete Codes Reply with quote

Has anyone (ElizabethD?) ever found if there is a EFC for A/B speaker selection? It is not even on my OEM remote, so I can't learn it. I also searched the archives, but nothing.

Thanks,
Tom
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I looked also and did not find.
I wonder how one figures out discrete codes for stuff that isn't on the OEM remote. I need it for another receiver.
I can't recall exactly why, but we don't use B speakers with this receiver. It has to do with what you hook up or it being for some other room. So this is not a problem for me.

Did you ever get discrete power working?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I wonder how one figures out discrete codes for stuff that isn't on the OEM remote. I need it for another receiver.

Normally, most devices use just one protocol and device code, which means there's just 256 possible EFCs to test. So, we strike off all the ones that we already know about and try the test of them. To make the process faster, we usually organize the known codes in OBC order and then test the gaps first.

In your case, however, your Panasonic device uses at least 4 different device code combinations, which means you have at least 4 * 256 codes to try, which makes the process take a LITTLE longer! Smile
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic Receiver (SA-HE100 and others) Discrete Codes Reply with quote

tbsmith wrote:
EFC for A/B speaker selection

Since I haven't seen a recent tuner/amp device I can't say for certain, but any that I've had myself has always used a mechanical switch on the unit itself for A/B speaker selection. If that's also true for the SA-HE100, chances are there's no discrete code to be found.
tbsmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - and Elizabeth...I guess you're one of the "guys' in spirit maybe Smile . Yes, I got discrete on/off to work great, thanks. I'm now using an extender and lovin' it. Once I got past my initial problems with my receiver, everything has been relatively straightforward (I've even gone back to see why I couldn't get your upgrade to work, but didn't see why).

Mark, as far as my A/B, it has a separate pushbutton switch fo A and another for B, but they are not mechanical; they actuate a relay. If we have to go through nearly 1,000 combinations, that might not be so bad, but then we'd not even be sure they can be controlled remotely.

Thanks for the help; I guess I can live without A/B control afterall!

Tom
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I did some checking since it applies to me also. B sound section is only stereo under their DSP classification. In fact, on the front panel you can’t select anything other than stereo using the rotary DSP knob.

Only A speaker group gives you all sound modes. Mark is very likely correct and I gather you're coming to the same conclusion. There is an audible click of relay under the button. While it wouldn’t preclude IR control, it might be a clue that it might not be there.

The Robman wrote:
... your Panasonic device uses at least 4 different device code combinations, which means you have at least 4 * 256 codes to try, which makes the process take a LITTLE longer! Smile

May I make a work-saving suggestion that just might be consistent with the Panasonic speaker arrays?
1. Device 28 seems to be for HE75 (just audio power) – no idea what to think about that . Skip it, I doubt it applies to HE100.
2. Device 4 seems to be about 0-9, channels, and tuning, so skip that at first.
3. Devices 20 and 18 control sound fields and level controls for all that fancy sound other than 2channel stereo. So it’s unlikely that a more “primitive” level of A-B switch would be there. Indeed, I just looked at that composite spreadsheet Rob gave us, and if I were making the equipment, A-B selection would be on device zero with volume, balance, stereo vs surround selection.
4. So I’d take a lazy Very Happy shot at those missing 255-29 OBCs on device zero and give up if A-B switch not there.

I’ve planned to go for the missing Tone and Tape monitor buttons the same way, just didn’t get to it yet. I was hoping there is a simpler way but Rob just nailed it down quite clearly. KM makes it easy – I will clear button assignments not dealing with sound, add missing OBCs to functions and try a bunch at a time.

Does this plan make sense? I have no idea. It’s the approach I'll use unless you find a lazier way.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest bashing out all 256 EFCs from all 4 device codes, just to see what else you might find. Hey, maybe you can divide and conquer and take a device code or 2 each! Smile

It's always possible that they are also other commands hidden in devices not yet covered, but the chances are slim, so just stick to the 4 known codes.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I would suggest bashing out all 256 EFCs from all 4 device codes, just to see what else you might find. Hey, maybe you can divide and conquer and take a device code or 2 each! Smile

Rob,
If you insist. But you won’t see 1000 button pushes before this century is up Wink .
I have some interest in TapeMonitor.
Don’t really need Tone control. My husband reminds me that we haven’t used Tone in years on any receiver, since recent receivers have so little distortion. Also, SA-HE100 has a nice, sharp, cutoff filter at 100hz (or whatever you set up) with no problems on the low end.

Tom,
SA-HE100: Would you be willing to put your KM file on yahoo? If yes, time permitting, I’ll push your data to Rob’s spreadsheet. While everything I need is in the KM file, I’ll need your help on the Functions sheet – if you flag which codes don’t work for you (placeholders), I’ll be able to check off what works in your remote (or write a note in the KM file that what’s there works). That will give info beyond just a list of codes in your file. This incompatibility is curious.
tbsmith wrote:
one of the "guys' in spirit
Cute. “Guys, what’s the password to …?” is standard,equal-rights-speak in this neck of the woods, makes no difference who speaks or to whom Smile
jetstar52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an exhaustive search of all 1024 possible codes for the HE-200, and put most of them in the upgrade file at the Yahoo! file site. Many of them will probably work on the HE-100.

Tone control:
Protocol: 00 C9
Fixed Data: D2 BF FB FA D7
EFC: 061 -> toggles Bass and Treble
EFC: 032 -> decrease
EFC: 028 -> increase

Tape Monitor:
Fixed Data: FA BF FB FA FF
EFC: 095
jetstar52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side note, the tone controls on the HE-200 work only in stereo mode.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetstar52 wrote:
I did an exhaustive search of all 1024 possible codes for the HE-200, and put most of them in the upgrade file at the Yahoo! file site. Many of them will probably work on the HE-100...
... tone controls on the HE-200 work only in stereo mode.

Fantastic! Collective knowledge is an amazing thing Very Happy
Thank you. I'll grab your file and use this weekend.
So did you really sit and push the buttons 1000+ times?
Stereo only is likely on the HE100 also. I don't use it, so just don't recall.
But it's so nice to be able to add the codes and be done.
jetstar52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: 4099 keypresses Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

So did you really sit and push the buttons 1000+ times?

Not all at one time, no. I did it over the course of a few days.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetstar52 wrote:
Tone control:
Fixed Data: D2 BF FB FA D7
EFC: 061 -> toggles Bass and Treble
EFC: 032 -> decrease
EFC: 028 -> increase

Tape Monitor:
Fixed Data: FA BF FB FA FF
EFC: 095

I took the liberty of putting in [ ] translations for people who use Panasonic combo or combo 2, both LSB-COMP type:
Code:
 Tone control:
Fixed Data: D2 BF FB FA D7 [device 20]
EFC: 061 -> toggles Bass and Treble  [OBC=136]
EFC: 032 -> decrease  [OBC=189]
EFC: 028 -> increase  [OBC=188]

Tape Monitor:
Fixed Data: FA BF FB FA FF  [device 0]
EFC: 095  [OBC=170]

What I see above looks similar to a device combiner data. I haven't come to grips with protocol things yet, so I suspect somebody will correct this. But it looks consistent with that I see in my combo2 upgrade.

Results:
> The 3-way toggle for Bass/Treble/Balance is not working on my HE100. The EFCs for decrease and increase are the same codes as for level+-. Attempt of this group of keys on devices 0, 4, 18 also failed. As I mentioned earlier, I don't care, I don't use it.
> But I'm delighted to get the Tape monitor toggle. It works beautifully. Thank you much.

OBCs are for Rob's SA-HExxx collection which I just updated to v4 .
The way I envision use of the spreadsheet is for lookup only. People can use the on-screen filters (select or custom) to see if there are alternative codes/devices. There are several functions which, depending on a model, work differently, or not at all. Finally, whoever adds a specific column to this, should refresh the pivot table identifying duplicates.
SRGilbert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys didn't happen to find one that will toggle between the optical input and the "6-channel" input did you? I have the HE-100 and that would be great when listening to DVD-Audio discs.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRGilbert wrote:
You guys didn't happen to find one that will toggle between the optical input and the "6-channel" input did you? I have the HE-100 and that would be great when listening to DVD-Audio discs.

Yes, I will reply with exact codes sometime this afternoon (running to a meeting now), but if you check the v4 composite spreadsheet, in the message above, there is a code for audio input toggle. I use it all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: