JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New 6805 RDF's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, what a brain-fart!! Of course IR uses buttonmaps; digits, volumes and channels have to be grouped among other things. 30 lashes with a wet noodle for me.Sad

Jim
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: KM v7.55 now available Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Nils_Ekberg wrote:
There was nothing serious wrong with any of them and they would work fine in KM and IR but needed adjustments for RM.

Just an FYI, but KM does NOT use the RDF's at all. There is a ton of stuff in KM derived from them, but they're not needed.

I knew that Mark I guess I was just rushing and was not attempting to make sense.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Actually, IR does use the [ButtonMaps] (it must, 'cause otherwise they wouldn't be in the pre-RM RDFs).

So, since IR doesn't have an issue with ButtonMaps including buttons that aren't defined in the [Buttons] section, RM's failure to do the same should be considered a bug. The code in RM dealing with ButtonMaps was written with the assumption that the buttons would be pre-defined. That is clearly not the case, so the code will have to be changed.
Thanks, Greg, for setting the record straight.

It may be that IR's handling of this situation is not perfect from RM's point of view, but it suits IR's functionality. I believe that >=$80 will cause it to use "Shift-<button_name>" if a name is not defined for the shifted button, where <button_name> is the unshifted name. If the unshifted name is not defined, then it will make up a name based on the key code number. I don't think it has any special logic for the $40-type shifts (which do sometimes exist in ButtonMaps, as do $C0 shifts).

jamesgammel wrote:
One obvious rule is if it ISN'T listed in [Buttons], it can't be used in [Buttonmaps] or RM will complain and crash. I don't think IR even recognizes [Buttonmaps] so it wasn't a factor with IR.
jamesgammel wrote:
Sorry, but I don't see a difference.
One obvious rule is that one ought not jump to conclusions until all the facts are known. Collectively, the members of this group know more about UEI remotes than any one individual. I've put a lot of time and effort into making sure that the RDFs being discussed here accurately reflect the nature of the remotes they represent, but I did not do it by assuming someone made a mistake on prior versions without asking first.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
jamesgammel wrote:
Sorry, but I don't see a difference.

Whatever...

I can't remember the specifics, but there were a few other remotes that had buttons defined in the [ButtonMaps] that weren't explicitly listed in [Buttons]. Either they have all been modified, or nobody has tried their RDF's with RM yet.

In any event, I think RM needs to allow for this the same way IR does, and Greg seems to acknowledge that as well.

There are a few remotes like that and all I have been doing is putting "unknown"s" in the [BUTTONS] section (unless I happen to know what the button really is) rather than removing them from the [BUTTONMAPS] since I didn't think we wanted to loose them. I think it is mostly 6805's that have a real shift button not the generic shift (magis, setup, P, etc.)

What I am implying here is that by default doing the images and maps I have tested every RDF over and over.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
Mark Pierson wrote:
Just an FYI, but KM does NOT use the RDF's at all. There is a ton of stuff in KM derived from them, but they're not needed.

I knew that Mark I guess I was just rushing and was not attempting to make sense.

Yeah... tryin' to beat the rain will do that every time! Laughing

I was just offering that up for others that might have gotten the wrong impression about KM and RDF's.

Quote:
I have tested every RDF over and over

And your efforts are greatly appreciated Exclamation
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
I think it is mostly 6805's that have a real shift button not the generic shift (magis, setup, P, etc.)
If that is the case, then it is purely a coincidence. I think it is more common to find shifted buttons in the ButtonMap used in the OEM and cable-type remotes that UEI makes, regardless of the processor involved. It may be that the current crop of such remotes uses mostly 6805s, but that could change.

Incidentally, most of the remotes being discussed here do not have a real shift button. They use the same generic method using the setup button.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I don't believe you made any errors in these RDF's. The only thing I ran into with them was the buttons in the BUTTONMAP and not in the BUTTONS section. The other thing that I dealt with was button names in the RDF and Image map not in synch. No big dealt. I think we need to just do some versioning or something on RDF's so we are all always working from the latest. We should probably declare which set of RDF's is the most current or master set. Obviously I vote for the ones packaged with RM since I try my best to monitor RDF changes mentioned in these forums and make sure I pick them up and get to Greg to put them in the RM distribution.

I actually look forward to updated RDF's because most of the time they actually fix problems I have run into like the button map for the 1925 not being completely functional like the new ones you just created and went through.

I just uploaded the updates for these for Greg in the jp1-km file section RM maps and images called "Updated 10-12-03 Maps Images etc.zip"
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
Mike

I don't believe you made any errors in these RDF's. The only thing I ran into with them was the buttons in the BUTTONMAP and not in the BUTTONS section. The other thing that I dealt with was button names in the RDF and Image map not in synch. No big dealt. I think we need to just do some versioning or something on RDF's so we are all always working from the latest. We should probably declare which set of RDF's is the most current or master set. Obviously I vote for the ones packaged with RM since I try my best to monitor RDF changes mentioned in these forums and make sure I pick them up and get to Greg to put them in the RM distribution.

I actually look forward to updated RDF's because most of the time they actually fix problems I have run into like the button map for the 1925 not being completely functional like the new ones you just created and went through.

I just uploaded the updates for these for Greg in the jp1-km file section RM maps and images called "Updated 10-12-03 Maps Images etc.zip"
Thanks for your efforts Nils. I had intended to do a better job of coordinating the release of these RDFs with you, but time did not permit it in this case. It is unfortunate that there were so many changes to the button names, but it was necessary in order to clean them up and make them agree with KM as much as possible.

BTW, I always try to start out with the RM versions of the RDFs when I make changes. I like your idea of versioning, but we need to work out a way to do so.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
I like your idea of versioning, but we need to work out a way to do so.

The RDFs that are bundled with RM (along with all the source for RM) are versioned. They are stored in a CVS repository hosted at SourceForge.

It would be great if everyone who wants to participate in this effort would get a SourceForge id, join the controlremote project, download and install a CVS client and SSH client to take advantage of that system.

Here's a thread at jp1-km that dealt with getting started.

I'd be happy to help anyone that wants to help get started with the tools.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, when I'm creating an RDF, I generally only include non-shifted buttons inthe [Buttons] section, unless the shifted button is labelled (which is rare). This is regardless of whether shifted buttons are included in the Buttonmaps. I do this with the knowledge that IR can handle it by itself, so I would agree that upgrading RM to also handle it is desirable.

There are many cases where there are button codes included in the Buttonmaps that do not correspond to real buttons (shifted or otherwise). Sometimes it's because the one processor is used for several different remotes (like with the URC-7070 and 15-1925) and sometimes it's just a mistake, which is the case with the URC-9800 where you won't find the CLEAR button in any Buttonmap, and there is an invalid button code included in several buttonmaps. Obviously, they simply got the buttoncode for CLEAR wrong. So what do we do in a situation like this, we assign that invalid buttoncode to a Phantom key as this gives the user the ability to program the phantom via a device upgrade, not just a keymove.

Now, the RDF situation is becoming a mess. We have some RDFs over at SourceForge, some in the RDF folder and some bundled with IR.exe. I think it's time to seperate the RDFs from the IR.exe zip (even though I know in advance that this will cause a few newbie problems). I think they need their own seperate zip file, which should be stored in the Tools folder over at Yahoo. These RDFs should be IR and RM compliant. When new RDFs are created, or old ones are modified, they should be stored in the RDF folder at Yahoo, awaiting eventual inclusion in the RDF zip file (as has always been the case).

Greg, if you want to have a zip file of RDFs over at SourceForge also, that's OK, just so long as it's the exact same zip file that's available over at Yahoo (so, we'll need a version number). Is this OK?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Now, the RDF situation is becoming a mess. We have some RDFs over at SourceForge, some in the RDF folder and some bundled with IR.exe. I think it's time to seperate the RDFs from the IR.exe zip (even though I know in advance that this will cause a few newbie problems). I think they need their own seperate zip file, which should be stored in the Tools folder over at Yahoo. These RDFs should be IR and RM compliant. When new RDFs are created, or old ones are modified, they should be stored in the RDF folder at Yahoo, awaiting eventual inclusion in the RDF zip file (as has always been the case).

Greg, if you want to have a zip file of RDFs over at SourceForge also, that's OK, just so long as it's the exact same zip file that's available over at Yahoo (so, we'll need a version number). Is this OK?

I agree that the RDF's should be kept seperate from all the products. I also agree that the best way is by making it it's own ZIP file. I have no problem storing updates to RDF's at Yahoo for inclusion in the master zip file but someone needs to be the owner of the RDF master ZIP file and be willing to process frequent updates until changes between KM and RM settle down a little. If we don't process them frequently into the master zip file people will always be running with backdated versions since most people don't follow individual RDF changes until they need it.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I wasn't talking so much about the ZIP file, which I can certainly release at SourceForge, but what is really of interest in the individual RDF files themselves.

The idea is to have a tool that would allow multiple people to make changes to the same set of files, and automatically manage the conflicts that arise. Not only would it keep track of who made what changes when (and why), it would also help to merge concurrent changes.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then by all means manage them at SourceForge, but let's still keep a master zip of them over here. Remember, there's little reason for people not directly involved with RM to go over to SF.

As for updating the master zip, any moderator has that ability, but we should probably limit it to just a few people just to avoid it getting too out of hand.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd like to see getting RM updates at Yahoo tools as well. Seems every time I get an upgrade, I have to use a different mirror.

Several of us have already mentioned that we keep just one set of RDF's for both RM and IR. Greg and Nils have fought tooth and nail to make sure that RM rdf's are also IR compliant. Nils has done a WONDERFUL job keeping image maps, and rdf's modified and up to date. From what I've seen, Greg just takes them as-is and includes them.
It's no secret that we have several s3c8 experts; a few are John, Jon, Rob, Dave, and ther's others. We have fewer 740 experts, but at least they are excellent. Thus far there haven't been all that many that used 740's, so we've been fortunate. It's no secret that Mike is THE 6805 expert.
Some time ago someone made a comment about rdfs being pretty well worked out. Over the last few months, it appears that that statement wasn't quite accurate. Personally, I don't think the advances that have been made are going to taper off. I think what's going to happen is we'll continually see "new" (actually OLD) remotes popping up here. There's a slew of models that haven't been brought to our attention. I think as JP-1 grows, all those old remotes are going to be dragged out of drawers, examined, and we're gonna get posts like: Hey I have this remote with 6 pins and it's not on the list. What this means is while 6805's were not understood and not focused on much in the past is gonna change. That's going to involve Mike's help, and we should be and are grateful that Mike has devoted so much time and effort into "mastering" the 6805 processor as it relates to ueic remotes.
I'd suggest that Nils handle the RM compliance, and he should be one who could "add" to the master zip. If it's not both IR and RM compliant, it should stay in the rdf folder at JP-1. We already know that very few can handle doing the digitmaps. If an rdf isn't known to be RM compliant, the description should state that, so Nils can make it so, and likely he'll have to at least work on the image map part.

Round of applause to Mark for KM 7.55, Mike for the 6805 rdf's, Greg for RM 0.72, and Nils for the great contributions. Hey, let's not forget Joe for the USB interface as well as the behind the scenes contributions for all these projects by Tommy and Mark Pauker. If I missed anyone, forgive me, I'm wupped and need to get to bed. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just re-bundled IR.exe together with all the current RDFs (as v3.21b). I have also bundled all the current RDFs together in their own zip and called it version 1.00

These include the 6805 RDFs from Mike's zip and the two Mil4 RDFs that Jim put in the RDF folder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: