JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there a KM (or RM?) for dummies guide? (Or, how do I:)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenroc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Is there a KM (or RM?) for dummies guide? (Or, how do I:) Reply with quote

Is there a dummies guide to KM or RM?

I have downloaded both, and see that they are actually fairly well laid out, in terms of helping the user along.

I guess it really just boils down to 1 question:

Is there a way to import my current settings (from an IR .txt file, or from the remote directly) into KM or RM? I have a few macros and keymovers set up in the remote currently (and also in IR), and I'd rather not have to redo them in KM/RM. But, unless I am mistaken, it seems that the only way to do anything in KM/RM is to start with a "fresh" remote and build up from there. Is there a way to take pieces from KM's setup and merge them with an IR setup?

Just for completeness, the reason I am messing with KM at all is that I have one device that does not exist in my 2117, a Saitek branded controller for my Playstation 2. I found the protocol upgrade I need in the Yahoo site, but I don't know how to mesh it with my existing macros, keymoves, etc.

Is there some introductory document I'm missing somewhere? Wink

TIA
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM/KM are "only" used to create device upgrades.
RM/KM are not involved in defining macros or general key moves, this is IR's job.
The information flows in only one direction from RM/KM to IR : you can not copy an existing upgrade from IR to RM/KM. You can however use the information decoded from learned commands to build your device upgrade in RM/KM.
The outputs (device upgrades and associated key moves, protocols) of RM/KM can be "merged" into an existing IR setup by pasting the upgrade text from RM/KM into the corresponding text boxes in IR.

So basically the process is as follows :

- You define and manage device upgrades in RM/KM.
- You define and manage the rest (settings, macros, general key moves) in IR.
- When you modify a device upgrade in RM/KM, you copy the complete device definition from RM/KM into your existing IR setup. It will replace the previous version and merge it in your IR setup.

Alain
Lenroc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Now I understand.

I guess it should have been pretty obvious that KM didn't talk to the remote when there were no buttons even close to that in there....

Anyway, thanks! I have now copied the data from KM into IR and would love to test it out, but I left the IR receiver for the PS2 in the room where my wife is sleeping...

She already thinks it's weird that I've taken to 'hacking' my remote, I'd hate to actually wake her up in the interest of testing it out Wink

Anyway, after reading your post, the KM readme made a lot more sense... thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: