JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8810 ... what can I do with it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BritNerd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: URC-8810 ... what can I do with it? Reply with quote

Okay .. Newbie time!! I just popped open the battery compartment and noticed 6 pins .... and remembered the JP1 group. After poking around I found this forum .. so here goes.

The URC-8810 handles my TV, VCR and cable box fine. It doesn't work with my Home Theater (Philips MX-3660D), but I can learn commands from it's remote to the URC-8810 L1-L4 keys (so I assume the protocol isn't too funky for the URC-8810 to handle).

Now (via JP1 and some time/effort) is it conceivable to eventually (4 keys at a time) capture and store all the functions from my Home Theater remote, and then juggle/mix and match keys from the other devices and throw them back into the 8810, so that I can access all the functions I want?

And am I right in assuming that the 'simple' JP1 interface will work okay? (2 resistors and a diode)

Thanks in advance!!
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple should work ok for your interface. You've made a common error, you are NOT restricted to just learning to the 4 L keys. You can learn to almosty any key (except setup, device keys, and maybe one or two others). You should be able to learn from 20-32 keys in a "batch", download in IR, and check the "learned" signals Tab to see each individual key's protocol, device(s), OBC and EFC. With that info, you can "build" an upgrade with KM (excel based spreadsheet) or RM (Java based) to include all the functions for your device.

Jim
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that .... I've now got the basics programmed onto the URC-8810 .... playing with JP1 will have to wait until tomorrow!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bascially, you won't find a better supported remote here in the JP1 world than your URC-8810w (aka "URC-8811").

Not only is it a learn remote, which means if you get a device that's not supported by the remote, and for which there isn't a ready made upgrade waiting for you in the file section, you can learn the buttons and use that info to create a new upgrade.

Fortunately, in your case, there's already an upgrade for a Philips HT in the HT folder, which will probably work for you.

Beyond that, once you've got the basics of JP1 worked out, you're probably going to want to try using an extender so you can reclaim all that worthless learning memory for macros, etc. Well, the 8811 has one of the best extenders going, so again you're in luck.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of playing around, I managed to get the 8810 doing what I wanted without needing to use anything special.

But I'm curious so I've just built a simple JP1 interface and successfuly downloaded my config for posterity![/img]
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some more playing around, I've found that the Philips MX-3660D uses a mix of RC5 devices 0, 17 and 21, along with RC6 device 4 (based on learning the keys from the original remote and reading into IR).

The DVD part of the MX-3660D seems to be catered for by OFA DVD type 0539 (RC6 4), and the RCVR part of the MX-3660D looks like OFA RCVR type 1269 (RC5 16). But I still need to find a few more functions.

How do the OFA [MAGIC/SET] x x x codes map? Is there any logic linking these codes with OBCs or EFCs?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before one of us starts writing up the long winded relationship between OBCs and EFCs, what's your goal? The way to reach that goal may be simpler to explain than the EFC to OBC stuff.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't the link between OBC and EFC that I was looking for, rather the connection between [SET] x x x and either OBC or EFC.

It seems that the link is [SET] 1 2 3 (for instance) equates to EFC 123.

What I'm trying to do is locate preset devices that have the codes I need, rather than having to learn them, to leave memory free for macros.

In particular, I'm looking for a device that use RC5 device 17 EFC 18, and RC5 device 21 EFC 18
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, rather than worry about what built in codes might be there, just create dummy upgrades that use the correct RC5 device codes, then let KM translate the OBCs into EFCs for you.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "long winded" explanation is here for RC5 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Miscellaneous/RC5devicematrix1.zip. At a minimum you should read the protocol readme file carefully if you are going to use KM Master since for RC5 there are four possible but three valid EFC's for each OBC.

Also keep in mind that Philps usually uses the Power On EFC 018 for discrete input commands for these setup codes:
TV___0054 RC-5 Device=0
VCR__0081 RC-5 Device=5
CD___0157 RC-5 Device=20
CD___0626 RC-5 Device=26

EFC=187 for:
DVD__0539 RC-6 Device=4

And you can do double byte key moves from Tuner_1189:
for inputs OBC=63 (that would be equivalent to EFC=018) for the following devices. Double byte key moves must be done in hex with a space in between.

Device=00 1F 00
Device=12 13 00
Device=17 0E 00
Device=18 0D 00
Device=20 0B 00
Device=21 0A 00
Device=23 08 00
Device=05 1A 00

The theory being if you have all Philips gear, it turns the TV on and sets its AV Input to TV -- that you may have already figured out.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon / rob

thanks .... back to reading and thinking !
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Am I correct in concluding that the 1189 tuner code is able to handle multiple RC5 'device' codes, encoded into the byte 1 and byte 2 values for use in key moves? I read your posting at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=318&highlight=rc5 which explains how to calculate the two bytes, and I'm about to test out the theory.

I had originally been trying to make a protocol upgrade, but this seemed to be limited to 3 devices (or 1.5 devices if any OBCs needed were >63). However, it seems that 1189 is going to be exactly what I need, coupled with the RC6 codes available from DVD 0539
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritNerd wrote:
Jon,

Am I correct in concluding that the 1189 tuner code is able to handle multiple RC5 'device' codes, encoded into the byte 1 and byte 2 values for use in key moves? I read your posting at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=318&highlight=rc5 which explains how to calculate the two bytes, and I'm about to test out the theory.

Yes that is correct. You might also try all the numerals in AUDIO_1189. Ususally in an OFA remote setup code for a receiver, the numerals will be the discrete inputs and that is the case in AUDIO_1189

Quote:
I had originally been trying to make a protocol upgrade, but this seemed to be limited to 3 devices (or 1.5 devices if any OBCs needed were >63). However, it seems that 1189 is going to be exactly what I need, coupled with the RC6 codes available from DVD 0539

Yes, my guess is that it will take fewer bytes to do key moves onto AUDIO_1189 since there is no combination protocol for RC5 and RC6. Make sure that you document the commands for the Philips HTIB, once you figure them out and it would probably help to paste in that explanation of how to calculate the double byte hex keymove.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have plenty of upgrade memory left, but are running out of key move memory, you could use the device combiner to mix together all the RC5 and RC6 commands, regardless of how many device codes are used, into one upgrade.
BritNerd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I'm soon going to be at that point. Can you give me some basic pointers about device combining (like what is it, where are the docs)?

Thanks, Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: