JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Making a JP1 remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathan909

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Making a JP1 remote Reply with quote

I’m looking to make a JP1 remote from scratch. My son is handicap, so it is very hard for him to use the common remotes we use. I’m looking to make something pretty basic like a 4in1 or 6in1 with maybe some back lit LED’s, but with NO LED display. I will probably be making 10 of these. If some one could help me with what schematic to use and a parts list for that schematic it would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know if it’s possible… I might want to go with a RF remote, so if I could also get the schematic and parts list for the same remote described above, as a RF remote. Also what base I could use with it or a schematic for the base!

We both thank you for all your help!!
-Nathan
Question
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the heart of every JP1 remote is a combined CPU and ROM. That ROM contains all the programming for acting as a JP1 remote as well as the library of built-in setup codes.

I don't think you want to write all the programming for a remote from scratch and I don't think you can buy that CPU+ROM chip already programmed.

So I think you need to start with an actual JP1 remote to use as the core of your remote.

I assume you want to rebuild the keypad. A JP1 remote has keyboard scanning matrix with 8 scan lines and 6, 7 or 8 (depending on model) sense lines. Those would be easy to bring out to a rebuilt KeyPad.

If you didn't want RF, I'd definitely suggest starting with the Walmart 6012w. It's cheaper and smaller than most JP1 remotes but is one of the most programmable (in case you need to mess with keypad timing or sequencing or other such factors). It needs the eeprom added, but that's trivial compared to the rest of what you contimplate.

There are a couple different ways to add RF to a non RF remote and I'm sure your final size and parts cost would be lower if you added RF to the 6012 than if you started with a JP1 RF model. However, the design effort would be higher. Adding RF, where it wasn't designed to go is beyond my EE skills anyway.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John, it would be much quicker, easier and cheaper to build a new shell around an existing JP1 remote than to try building one from scratch. For a non-RF remote, I would also recommend either the URC-6011 or the URC-6131.

If you want an RF remote, you really should go with the URC-9910 because again, it would be much quicker, easier and cheaper to use the ready made RF components in the URC-9910 than it would be to try and design/build them yourself.

When you're ready to start this project, drop me a line as I can most likely hook you up with the remotes you need.
cauer29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Making a JP1 remote Reply with quote

Yan Scutt wrote:
I’m looking to make a JP1 remote from scratch. My son is handicap, so it is very hard for him to use the common remotes we use. I’m looking to make something pretty basic like a 4in1 or 6in1 with maybe some back lit LED’s, but with NO LED display. I will probably be making 10 of these. If some one could help me with what schematic to use and a parts list for that schematic it would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know if it’s possible… I might want to go with a RF remote, so if I could also get the schematic and parts list for the same remote described above, as a RF remote. Also what base I could use with it or a schematic for the base!
We both thank you for all your help!!

Generally, this isn't an option. While you can obtain the ICs used in UEI JP1 remotes, the programming is the sticking point, as UEI wouldn't be too keen on providing that. It might be easier to start with an existing JP1 remote and remove it from its housing. Then you can use a couple of 74HC4051s to "push" the buttons on the remote. Each HC4051 is an 8 channel analog mux/demux. The keypad of a JP1 remote is arranged as an 8 x 8 row/column matrix. 8 channels of 1 HC4051 go to the rows and the 8 channels of the other HC4051 go to the columns. The "common" terminals of the switches connect together and then the 3 select bits of each HC4051 together form a 6 bit key selector. Use the enable on the switches to "push" the button after setting the 6 bit selector. I have built such a thing and use it as a computer operated JP1 remote.

If you want to go RF, then it gets both simpler and more complex. You can use a keypad encoder connected to just about any OOK (on/off keyed) RF modulator along with a matching receiver. The receiver would need to connect to a computer to interpret the received codes and then transmit whatever IR is needed by the equipment. Now that I think about it, cannabalizing an X10 RF remote, connecting it to whatever keypad switches you like and then using an X10 RF receiver connected to computer that interprets and sends out the appropriate IR cmd, would be simpler than a full "roll your own" solution. That would require minimal hardware mods compared to the other possibilities.

A.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: