JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCU810 help ? Newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epson

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: RCU810 help ? Newbie Reply with quote

I have just recently purchaced a big screen tv with a surround sound system and thought i would get a remote to eliminate all the remote controls so i also got a RCU810 at Bestbuys but for the life of me i can not get it to do the IR learning that it is supose to do. Can anyone help me figure this remote out?
Thankyou for any assistance.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should return the RCU810 and then buy a less expensive, greatly superior remote, such as the "One for all 8" urc-8810w at Walmart (under $20). (The 8811 mail order from Rob is the same remote at roughly the same price, after figuring shipping vs. sales tax etc., and Rob can sell you a JP1 cable with the 8811. Walmart sells the remote, not the cable).

The RCU810 takes a fair amount of effort and skill to modify for JP1 use (the 8810w needs no modification). I assume you haven't done that, so we can answer a few non JP1 questions here, but RCU810's are hard enough to use that if you keep it you probably should move your questions to the right non JP1 forum
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/list.cgi

Any JP1 capable remote becomes a much better remote when you use JP1, but the RCU810 is particularly bad before the enhancements that JP1 can provide. It isn't particularly worse as a JP1 remote after being modified for JP1, but I can't see how it's worth the expense and trouble vs. getting a better JP1 remote in the first place.

As for the question you actually asked. All the JP1 remotes have less learning memory than comperably priced learning remotes, so users frequently fill the learning memory, don't believe that it could be filled with so few signals and think incorrectly that learning isn't working. (JP1 pretty much eliminates the need to keep any learned signals in the form that fills memory quickly, so the eeprom size no longer matters much).

People also tend to make a number of errors in the process of learning a signal, which you can get good help with either by reviewing previous threads about learning in that other forum, or by posting a better description of how you tried learning and what went wrong.
Ellen

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far be it from me to contradict john since he probably has forgotten more about remotes than I'll ever know. But if you are at all handy with a soldering iron, the physical modificactions to the RCU810 are pretty easy if you review the directions at Rob's web site. I did it myself in about 15 minutes.

Now, whether or not the remote gives any problems after being made ready for JP1, I can't say, as I have not gotten around to playing with it yet.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellen wrote:
he probably has forgotten more about remotes than I'll ever know.

Sometimes it feels like I've forgotten more than I'LL ever know. Sad

Ellen wrote:
But if you are at all handy with a soldering iron, the physical modificactions to the RCU810 are pretty easy

Probably. It also takes some skill to get the RCU810 correctly back together again. But the sort of person who is handly with a soldering iron is likely to be handy at that too.

Ellen wrote:

Now, whether or not the remote gives any problems after being made ready for JP1, I can't say, as I have not gotten around to playing with it yet.

With JP1, especially with the extender software, an RCU810 is a quite good remote. I still think the 8810 is better, but the RCU810 is good.

But reread the opening post of this thread and make your best guess from all the clues there: Will "epson" add JP1 support to his RCU810?

I'm far from infalible at reading the hints buried in posts, but I see the answer "no" pretty clearly.

With JP1, an 8810 is a better remote than an RCU810.
Without JP1, that difference is even bigger. The 8810 is a much better remote.
There also the chance someone might decide to try JP1 with an 8810 (no modification to the remote required) who wouldn't try it with the RCU810. Then the 8810 is a much much better remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: