JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 8910: Panasonic TV input switching, I can't get one code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: URC 8910: Panasonic TV input switching, I can't get one code Reply with quote

I have trouble using or finding advanced code for selecting TV-tuner. From TV_0250 advanced code list, I tried codes 181 and 182. Both seem to act the same. Both incorrectly. It could be how I used it. In my setup, all video inputs to TV are setup on the 8910 phantom keys, but even when coded for another key it fails.

TV tuner selection is taking place within a power-on macro when, for instance, TV was left in DVD or VCR-video mode by powering off at the unit. However, when used in another macro where powering-on is not in the sequence, TV will never switch from, VCR or DVD back to TV tuner.
I can't explain this inconsistency in my perfect code Laughing , suspect wrong approach, and hope someone can suggest how to debug.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you confirm whether the 181 code works by itself, ie, not in a macro. That would at least tell us whether we need to try finding another code or need to help you with your macro.

I don't know what 182 is meant to do, but 181 appears to be the right code to select TV TUNER mode. There are some other discrete codes available under the 128.4 device code.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've programmed several Pannys for friends...post you file to diagnostics and let us take a look
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I provided a theory in the other thread about channel commands being skipped that may explain what you are seeing here too. EFC 181 should take you to Tuner, IF it sees the command. BTW, Ch+/- will also do the same thing.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the config for the Panny's I did and in each case I had to use the VCR:0039 trick.

I had to put two of these in between powering the TV and any other commands..

You can try this yourself by simply powering the TV and then press some buttons and you'll see how long it takes to respond.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will confirm 181, of course.
But my standard operating procedure is to first start with code check on a normal button. I woudn't have gone into dragging it into a macro if it were doomed. But then perhaps I didn't follow the SOP; after all, this isn't work Smile [except for y'all perhaps]

I dragged the other 18x codes - when one didn't work I figured it's worth a try for its neighbors. No, 182 isn't supposed to do it. 180 might but didn't.

I saw 128.4 someplace. It seems to just add two component-video discrete codes. I have one DVD component input from 128.0 and that, as well as VCR standard video input work fine.

Thank you, guys. I'll look at the theory and diagnostics before being a bother again. For me it's worth doing 'cause I have this monster set of very useful things and just this one is failing. Can't move forward till it works or I'll have too many bugs. Then again I'm beginning to hit the memory limit .
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna go trying the "neighbor" codes, use OBCs not EFCs. Remember, EFCs are encrypted.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Exclamation ooops! OBC, eh?
[I wonder if that explains why discrete on/off won't work in He100, will check tonight. BTW I posted files in that long chain today but you won't like my filenames or links].
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure you understand what I meant. Just because EFC 181 does something doesn't mean that 182 is likely to do something, but on the other hand, if OBC 181 does something, there's a good chance that OBC 182 will do something.

So, in KM, if you currently have EFC mode selected, use the SWAP button to switch to OBC mode and enter any un-assigned OBCs if you want to try them out.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFC 182 aka OBC 006 is shown as "Video" on a listing of TV commands that came from Panasonic for a CT-34WX50. Having said that I still don't know what it is supposed to do since OBC's 001 through 004 are discrete video inputs video 1 through 4. OBC 005 is the Video Input toggle.

AFAIK,since your Component Input is Panasonic:128:4 (device =128 (really 128.0 but 0 is considered the default sub-device):OBC=4) aka TV/0250 EFC 180 then it won't have any input commands on Panasonic:128.4 (device=128 . sub-device=4) that is used in the most recent TV's and Plasma displays for component input 1 (Panasonic:128.4:124) and component input 2 (Panasonic:128.4:125).
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBC vs neighbor codes explanation is super, thanks. Yes, I did misunderstand.

Now, advanced codes are not in a sequence but all in 180's so I was lucky to be within the fenced area.

In any case, the numbers for video inputs all got obc<5 when KM swallowed them up, and yes, tv/video comes next obc=5. It's just that DVD and VCR in the list work, and TV works only in the power-on macro.

My TV is tube type, has 4 video inputs and I used Panasonic 128.0 and with all your lessons I should be able to nail it after work.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking obvious questions.
No, EFC=181 for TV-tuner does not work.
Remainder of the OBC 000-005 set, EFCs 185,183,187,184 work.
Button assignment or direct entry into the 8910 make no difference.
My sticky notes at home indicate just one button trial for DVD on Video 1, 25% inspection rate. Not sufficient.

So why did I conclude that TV was switching to tuner when coded in a power-on macro?
Truth table in hand, lots of key pushes later, I see now that the use of 181 code was irrelevant because it had no job to do. The reason is a totally unexpected behavior of power commands placed in a macro which left me absolutely baffled. If you can't trust POWER what can you trust?

Bottom line: I still need that 181 code. Off we go hunting, but where? Would a nuisance trip through all, unused so far, OBC codes give me an answer?
BTW, TV is Panasonic CT20SL13. Heavy as a piano with a handle, slow and simple.
e34m5

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discrete Aspect - Full 113
Discrete Aspect - Zoom 049
Discrete Component 1 Input Select 004
Discrete Component 2 Input Select 008
Discrete Power Off 026
Discrete Power On 022
Discrete Video 1 Input Select 185
Discrete Video 2 Input Select 183
Discrete Video 3 Input Select 187
Discrete Video 4 Input Select 180

Not sure what 181 would do, but the above do the trick on every new Panny I've done
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Developer's helper.

I don't see TV tuner in your list. TV is the issue.
I do not have 2 component inputs, just one. I'm having trouble relating to the codes you show. It's for a TV with more inputs and features I don't have.This is the list I just lifted from advanced codes for TV_0250:
- 181 TV
- 182 V
- 185 Video 1 (I can check whether 004 will work here)
- 183 Video 2
- 187 Video 3
- 180 Video 4
Since you can't see my TV, here is the description:
Video is TV, Video 1 can be old RCA jobs (displays Video 1) or Component (displays Component and DVD under it). Video 2 is VCR, Video 3 is front RCA inputs. There is no Video 4.

When used by 8910, codes 185,183,187 do exactly as expected. 181, 182, 180 do nothing. I'm searching for any TV or TV tuner code that will switch the screen to TV mode. Don't care how I get there. If some other protocol will work I'll use that, but haven't found one yet that shows what code to use. And in the protocol I used, everything else works great.

It has just occured to me to think of a fresh approach.
I haven't used learning so far, because I assume that when I push the input button on the OEM remote, it just sends a command to TV to switch to the next mode and go on like that forever till I stop pushing. However, it is conceivable that it sends the specific codes, so I'll try that.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElisabethD,

I am pretty sure the Channel+/- will bring the video input back to tuner on most Panasonic TV's. IIRC so will a number but to make it responsive you may need an enter. A Ch+|Ch- should keep it on the same channel as before if that is important.

You could also do a macro for Video 4| Video Toggle.

Panasonic is very inconsistent about putting all the discrete codes on all models. They are very consistent about the commands; so if it responds to discrete commands it is the same command across all models that respond. For example, Panasonic has some very high end flat LCD displays that have neither discrete Power nor input commands. Numerous people have tried all 256 commands on many of the sub-devices (0, 4, 9, 32), so far no joy.

So if EFC 181 doesn't work, you probably aren't going to find it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: