JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-2138 JP1 Questions (Searched. No luck.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
celox

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: 15-2138 JP1 Questions (Searched. No luck.) Reply with quote

I assume that this product is very new and that is why I can't find this information readily listed.

I searched all over hifi-remotes.com and remotecentral.com and google.com with no luck. Here are the questions:

I want to get involved with the JP1 programming because I recently purchased the 15-2138 from radio shack. I like it so far. This is my first investment in a URC so I have no prior experience to compare it to.

The problem I am having is replicating the functions of my Silver Hauppauge remote (There is a file already made for the JP1 upload) with the limited memory (16-25 learnable commands) the 15-2138 has.

The solution I have chosen is JP1.

I am completely new to this so I need to know what to buy to get this project going. I am fine with the parallel versions, USB is too expensive just for being USB and providing no additional functionality.

What components do I need to connect the JP1 to the 15-2138 remote (RS 8-in-1).

The connection for JP1 is not pins, or holes, they are solid contact points.

I saw from links referenced in Rob's website on JP1 that Hovis Direct has a Kameleon package. Is this what I need? The website is rather unprofessional but Rob seems to know what he's doing so I will go out on a limb. The website did not say whether or not the package is specifically compatible with the 15-2138. I can't assume it is or isn't because this product practically does not exist on the google search engine.

Any info you can provide, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

By the way, does anyone know if it is bad to use rechargeable batteries in this device? What type of rechargeable batteries should I get?

Thanks!

Celox
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2138 is a Kameleon remote and as such it's standard to have pads rather than a 6-pin as the JP1 connector. You need a pogo-in adapter to make contact with the pads.

When using the Simple (parallel) interface, you sometimes need the have batteries in the remote, which is where things get tricky with the kameleons. For the previous Radio Shack mode, the 15-2133, we invented a special battery adapter that would hold the batteries in the place and still allow you to use the pogo-pin adapter. The battery adapter would screw into place where the battery cover would normally screw into place. For the 15-2138, however, they use a clip in battery cover instead, so I'm not sure what the solution is there. I seem to recall that someone has already come up wth something (and it's probably Nils), but I don't recall what it is. That being said, you can probably just get by with a Simple cable and a pogo-pin adapter.
celox

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thank you for the quick response.

http://www.hovisdirect.com/Cable.html
The photos there of the Kameleon adapter in the remote are indeed a Kameleon remote, but it is not mine. The bottom of my remote looks different and there is of course, no screw hole.

I don't recall coming across a solution for this for the 15-2318 but I may have missed it zooming through all of the forums.
celox

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I tell if I will need to have the batteries in? Is that the difference between the Ultra cable and the Simple cable? Would the USB cable take care of that? I know USB supplies power to devices...
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rob indicated you could just use a pogo pin adapter for the 2138 and try it without the batteries. I just did a quick test on a 9960 Kameleon and it would not work without the batteries using the simple interface. It did however work with the ultra interface since it provides the voltage needed. So, your best bet is either the ultra parallel or USB cable.

An alternative is that you can make one of the modifications outlined here for the 8040 since the 8040, 8060 and 2138 Kameleons have the same battery cover setup. to make it a little more permanent and will work with the simple cable. Kameleon mods
celox

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those options sound very cool but I'm confident that I can simply hold it there while programming.

So, I guess I will try the ULTRA cable hehe.

Thank you Rob and Nils!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: