JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Teaching Discrete Codes to MX-500

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickinEsc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Teaching Discrete Codes to MX-500 Reply with quote

Can anyone help me?

I'm a relative newbie who has a Samsung DLP set and has just received the firmware upgrade. Now I can use discrete codes. I am trying to use the MX-500 remote I have but need to "teach" it the codes, since it cannot generate discrete codes itself. So, on the advice of SurfRemote, I got One for All, along with the cable and JP1 program.

I have found a file on the JP1 web site of Samsung DLP discrete codes, and I have the "Beginner's Intro" to using the software to program the One for All remote (though it seems somewhat outdated). But I am having some trouble understanding where to go from here. I guess I don't understand enough about what I'm doing.

Apparently there are fields into which I can paste the discrete codes and then send them to the OFA remote, right? But there are several modes in which there are such fields, and I am not sure which one to use. Also, once I get them into the remote, then how do I find out which one does what I want?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Discrete Codes to MX-500 Reply with quote

RickinEsc wrote:
Samsung DLP set and has just received the firmware upgrade. Now I can use discrete codes. I am trying to use the MX-500 remote I have but need to "teach" it the codes,

I have found a file on the JP1 web site of Samsung DLP discrete codes,

It would help if you gave a URL for the file you found. I don't know if it was a KM type upgrade or an RM type upgrade or just a list of EFC or OBC numbers. Instructions would be totally different depending on what sort of file you found.

The only Samsung DLP file I found in JP1 is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/Home%20Theater%20Systems/Samsung_HT_DL200P_1295.txt
So far as I can tell, that one doesn't have any discrete codes.

If you wanted to use that, you need the keymap-master spreadsheet, which requires Microsoft Excel (If you don't have Excel, mention that because there is another way).

After opening KM (kemap-master) in Excel you press it's load button and then select the file containing the upgrade. Usually you just change the remote model and button assignments after that, but in this case I remember a recent thread on the subject indicating that the parm value in that upgrade is wrong. I think to correct that upgrade you delete the parm value. (Of course at this point I don't know if you even want to use that upgrade file).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably confused about what a Samsung DLP is.
There are two upgrade files, a file of learned signals and a thread here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84&highlight=samsung+nec2
which are about a Samsung device using NEC2 protocol device number 67.83. The two upgrade file specify a parm value which converts NEC2 into NECx2 (the protocol Samsung normally uses) but the learned signals confirm that is wrong. It is really NEC2 and no parm value should be used.

There are many threads at RC discussing the Samsung DLP, and giving "new firmware" discrete codes for it, and specifying that it is NECx2 protocol device 7.7.

TV/0060 is NECx1 protocol device 7.7. A few remotes have a setup code for NECx2 device 7.7. NECx1 and NECx2 are similar enough that the reports of NECx2 for this at RC might be wrong, or that NECx1 might work well enough even if they're right. But it's easy enough to create an NECx2 upgrade with KM or RM if you think NECx2 is correct.

All the discrete codes listed in those threads at RC are OBC numbers. If you create an upgrade you can use OBC numbers. If you wanted to use an existing setup code such as TV/0060 and use EFC numbers directly on the remote (not need the JP1 cable) you'd need to convert the OBC numbers to EFC numbers, which is fairly easy in IR or KM or RM.

Those OBC numbers are listed at
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?1602,1#11
RickinEsc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: discrete codes for MX 500 Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help. The file I have was written by Tommy Tyler, author of the JP1 for beginners guide. Check it at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/TV/Samsung%20HLN%20Series%20DLP%20TV.txt

Or navigate to it by going into the yahoo groups, jp1, files, device codes, tv and look under Samsung. If you do it this way, there are three files to choose from (not all by Tommy).

I do not have excel at home, where I am doing this, but do have it at work (though I doubt that will help).

I don't know enough to comprehend parm values etc. Maybe you could send me to a place where I can read up? Thanks
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I looked at that file posted by Tommy. It's basically an enhanced TV_0060. You should be able to teach the discretes you want without JP-1, provided the remote you have has TV_0060 in it's library, native. You never mentioned in this thread just what JP-1 remote you have.

Tommy's TV_0702 is NecX2, device 7, same as _0060. Just set your TV button on your JP-1 remote to TV_0060. You can do that manually or with IR.

Here's a list of the discretes I think you want: (all efc's)

ON: 001
OFF: 253

Ant: 251
Vid1: 177
Vid2: 013
Vid3: 175

S-Vid 1: 192
S-Vid 2: 019
S-Vid 3: 175 (I don't know how it can possibly be for 2 different inputs; either my or Tommy's error?)

Comp 1: 171
Comp 2: 016
Comp 3: 179

DVI: 018
PC: 073

Once your remote is set to TV_0060, you can send the signals for the MX-500 to learn by: Setup, e-f-c (the signal will be sent on that "c" press). IE, for "ON": setup, 0, 0, 1; OFF: setup, 2, 5, 3, etc.

Jim
RickinEsc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

Thanks so much! I'll try to use this and see if I can work my way through it. If you're willing, I may have more questions. I appreciate the assist!
RickinEsc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim
First, I have a One For All 8811.
I entered the TV 0060 code according to the instructions that came with the 8811 and it accepted the command (the light flashed as the instructions said it would). The TV (a Samsung HLN 5065W, firmware v302) now seems to respond to the labeled commands on the 8811.

I guess I may not know how to send the TV the discrete commands. I tried selecting the numbers, and the set shows "not available" on its screen. (I'm trying to check the commands you gave me to see if they work as expected.)

I don't find anything in the 8811 instructions about how to send these codes to the TV. I suspect there is some button pressed that tells the TV a discrete command is coming. Do you know anything about it? Thanks!
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

If I remember right, Tommy noted that his upgrade was for firmware revision 2.14, and you just stated you got revision 302. I suppose it's possible that they may have changed the codes with the version you got?

I can't imagine a button pre-press being needed, UNLESS to change inputs or "activate' the firware upgrade you need to enter the TV's menu first. You may need to read some documentaion from Samsung to see how to impliment the firmware change. It also possible that you'd have to opt to get the 2.14 firmware upgrade for tommy's data to work. You might try emailing Tommy and seeing if he can give you some guidance.

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickinEsc wrote:
I guess I may not know how to send the TV the discrete commands. I tried selecting the numbers, and the set shows "not available" on its screen. (I'm trying to check the commands you gave me to see if they work as expected.)

To test the EFC's, try the following:

1) Press the TV button.
2) Press the SET button until the LED flashes once.
3) Enter the EFC digits using the numeric buttons (i.e. for Discrete OFF, key in '2' '5' '3').

Repeat steps 2 and 3 for other EFC's.
RickinEsc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

THANK YOU!
This works, using the codes Jim provided, and accomplishes what I need to this point. Now I have to figure out how to program these discrete codes into a macro in the MX500. I think I can handle that myself... but we'll see! I really appreciate your help! (And Jim's, as well!)
scsedenafro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick:
You may have already figured this out, but here is the way I put discrete codes into my MX 500. After you get a discrete code to work on the OFA 8811, you must program that code to a specific key (L1 or any of the other L's are good choices). Here's the way i did it:
1. I first programmed the 8811 for my Sony TV, following the 8811 instructions - in my case that was code 0000.
2. I tested the discrete code for "On" using the procedure in the earlier post to you from someone else.
3. On the 8811...I then pressed the TV device key, pressed and held setup key until the red light blinked twice, pressed 994 (wait for two blinks), pressed setup key again (don't hold it),entered the discrete three digit code, pressed the button I wanted assigned (L1 in my case).
4. I then used the MX500 instructions to LEARN the L1 key on the 8811 to the TV ON button on my LCD screen on the MX500.
Works great, hope this helps.
scsedenafro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opps, one more thing. As you follow the MX 500 instructions for programming a macro, you press the MX 500 key on which you just "learned" the discrete code from the 8811, at the appropriate sequence for the macro you are creating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: