JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Struggling with Toads (tog)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhstn58

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Struggling with Toads (tog) Reply with quote

First off, congratulations to to Rob Crowe on the new forum. Now on with the fun!

I don't know whether this qualifies as a beginning or an advanced question, but since I FEEL like a beginner, I'll post it here.

With my RS 15-2116 remote, I am using vasqued's 2116ex2 and am trying to create discrete power controls for my Toshiba DVD (1503) and Motorola 5100 HDTV STB(0476). My power button is also the power toggle switch for both devices.

If I understood the ToadTog ReadMe correctly, the power button hex code (03) becomes 09 to turn off and 89 to turn on. For the Cable box I created a key that sends the power function but remembers the current state (01 03 03). Then I created a discrete off key (09 03) and a discrete on key (89 03). I did the same thing for the DVD player, using toggle 2 (21 03 03 to track state and 21 03 and A9 03 to turn off and on respectively.

My first question is, am I supposed to use different toggles to track the state vs. create the discrete keys themselves? I have tried this as well and I still can't seem to get it to work.

If I've set it up right in this respect, then I can only guess I'm making some other mistake when creating the key move: For the cable box the bound device is CBL Phantom1, to which I am binding the first hex command described above (the track key). CBL phantom2 and phantom3 get the discrete functions off and on. I use DVD phantom4, phantom5 and xs_phantom1 for the same respective DVD commands.

Since MISC/1800 is the device that contains the toadtog protocols, I can only assume I am referencing the wrong device at some poin in the key move, but I don't know wehere. Do I bind MISC 1800 (which I have under db08) to the discrete commands, then add them to a macro whenever I select the "Watch HDTV" macro command?

I hope someone can follow this. Perhaps I am more confused than I thought.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling with Toads (tog) Reply with quote

jhstn58 wrote:
I don't know whether this qualifies as a beginning or an advanced question, but since I FEEL like a beginner, I'll post it here.
Since it deals with extender issues, I've moved it to the extenders forum. Wink
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I didn't really follow your explanation. I think you may be expecting ToadTog to do something it doesn't do, but I'm not sure.

Here's what I think you are saying:

Your DVD and HDTV do not have discrete codes. You currently have a Power Toggle programmed on the Power button (i.e. when you press the Power button when in that device's mode, the device toggles on and off). You want to use ToadTog to create discrete codes for your DVD and HDTV.

If that's what you are saying, then here's my answer:

ToadTog does not allow you to 'create' discrete codes for your device. If your device doesn't support discrete codes, there's nothing you can do to make it do so.

With that being said, ToadTog will let you 'simulate' discrete codes. It does this by internally keeping track of whether your DVD is on or off. If you press the 'On' button, it will check and see if your DVD is already on. If so, it won't send anything. If it is off, it will send the Power Toggle command. Obviously this isn't perfect because it's possible that the remote may internally think that your DVD is off when it is really on.

Generally, to use ToadTog to simulate discrete codes you create three separate buttons (note, they can be shifted, in macros, etc. so they don't take up three whole buttons). Let's assume you use Toggle 1 to internally keep track of the device state. For the On button, you would test Toggle 1. If it was on, you wouldn't send any signal (because the device is already on). If it was off, you would send the Power command to turn it on (because the device was off) and switch the internal toggle to On. For the Off button, you would do just the opposite. Finally, you would also want to create a 'Resync my device' button that you could use if your device and remote got out of sync. This would set Toggle 1 to On but would always issue the Power command. If you got out of sync, you would keep pushing that button until your device was on. Since it always sets the Toggle to On, everything would be back in sync.

If you wanted to set it up for another device, you would use Toggle 2, etc.

I know I rambled but I hope that makes sense and I answered your question or at least gave you a basis to go back and look at what you did. I didn't understand your questions about the keymoves, so if you want specific examples, I can give them to you if this is at least what you are looking for.

If I told you something you already knew or how to do something other than what you are trying to do. Sorry, just let me know.

David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my confusing question. It probably reflects my lack of experience with extenders. I will retry to program the process, but I have two questions?

1. Do I need to do anything to the MISC/1800 device BEFORE I assign the toggle keys to it? i.e., do I need to put add some key set macros, or are they alrady included by virtue of the fact that you pre-inserted the extra devices?

2. When I create my macros for the simulated discrete functions, do I need to include the toggle track key function as a first step, before inserting the "discrete on" function?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling with Toads (tog) Reply with quote

jhstn58 wrote:

With my RS 15-2116 remote, I am using vasqued's 2116ex2

I haven't looked at that extender. This answer assumes that ToadTog matches the extender ToadTog I documented long ago for the 6012.

jhstn58 wrote:

If I understood the ToadTog ReadMe correctly, the power button hex code (03) becomes 09 to turn off and 89 to turn on. For the Cable box I created a key that sends the power function but remembers the current state (01 03 03). Then I created a discrete off key (09 03) and a discrete on key (89 03). I did the same thing for the DVD player, using toggle 2 (21 03 03 to track state and 21 03 and A9 03 to turn off and on respectively.

I see a few problems with that.
Did you put any of those commands or any other macro or KeyMove on the power key? ToadTog commands nest. When 03 appears inside a ToadTog command, it means to execute whatever macro or KeyMove is assigned to the Power key, but I think you want it to execute the original function of the Power key instead. In some cases you can use "shift cloaking" to accomplish that (use 83 in place of 03 in the ToadTog). In other cases you must KeyMove the orriginal power command to some phantom and use that phantom's keycode in the ToadTogs.

Both the (09 03) and the (89 03) do the 03 command only if the flag was previously on. You proabably want to use 88 instead of 89, so one will send the command if previously On and the other if previously Off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My inexperience is really showing here.

I didn't think I needed to put any of those commands on the power key. Aren't they already there by virtue of my device upload from keymaster? (although you raise an interesting point - when I look at the hex value of the DVD's power button, it is 50, not 03)

You're right about the 88 vs 89. I figured that out later. But you are right that I want the ToadTog command to execute the power command's originial function, but I didn't understand what you meant by shift cloaking or why I need to KeyMove the original power command to a phantom key.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I didn't think I needed to put any of those commands on the power key.

You don't NEED to put any of that on the power key. I just assumed that you wanted to put some KeyMove or macro on the power key. If you don't then the power key will have its orriginal function, sending the power toggle without changing the toggle bit.

Anonymous wrote:

Aren't they already there by virtue of my device upload from keymaster? (although you raise an interesting point - when I look at the hex value of the DVD's power button, it is 50, not 03)

The device upload puts the command for your device's power toggle onto the power key. I think you're confusing 03, which is the keycode identifying that key within the JP1 remote and 50 which is the command that the upgrade tells that key to transmit.

Anonymous wrote:

but I didn't understand what you meant by shift cloaking or why I need to KeyMove the original power command to a phantom key.

I think you want the power key to execute one of your three ToadTog operations (or maybe some macro including one of those operations).

That would mean you couldn't use use the Power key's KeyCode (03) to send the device's toggle command from within a ToadTog. If you don't need anything special on the shifted power key, and this extender supports shift cloaking (I think it does, but I'm not sure) then any use of KeyCode 83 (shifted Power) will give you the definition of Power from the upgrade, bypassing any KeyMove or Macro on the Power key.

If this is still confusing, try to thrink through the details of what exactly you want to have happen when the user presses the physical power key and what will happen as a result of what you've programmed.
jhstn58

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you want specific examples, I can give them to you if this is at least what you are looking for.

David, perhaps specific examples will help, and johnsfine, you were correct: I WAS confusing the hex command for the power button for the hex command for the power function.

So I first need to create this macro on a different button - say shift power - that will perform the three ToadTog functions that David described - THEN add that button to my macros for the "Watch DVD" macro.

Quote:
think you want the power key to execute one of your three ToadTog operations (or maybe some macro including one of those operations). That would mean you couldn't use use the Power key's KeyCode (03) to send the device's toggle command from within a ToadTog. If you don't need anything special on the shifted power key, and this extender supports shift cloaking (I think it does, but I'm not sure) then any use of KeyCode 83 (shifted Power) will give you the definition of Power from the upgrade, bypassing any KeyMove or Macro on the Power key.

Actually, I want the power key to execute the power toggle for each device - i.e., the "native" function. I want (indeed, if I understood you guys correctly, NEED) the ToadTog macro on another button so I can add it in my "Watch DVD" macro for example. I don't have or need anything on the shifted power key, so perhaps I could put the ToadTog macro there, or would I be better using a phantom key instead?

What is shift cloaking?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be failing to communicate the idea here. Maybe one of the others who understands it should try to explain it.

jhstn58 wrote:
Actually, I want the power key to execute the power toggle for each device - i.e., the "native" function.

You don't want the power key to (just) do the native toggle, because if it did then every time you used it the device's state would change without the remote recording that fact.

You want the power key to execute the ToadTog command which unconditionally sends the native power toggle signal but also flips the state bit.

You (should) want the shifted Power key to just send the native power toggle signal, so that when you occasionally observe that the device has gotten out of sync with the remote (use your watchDVD macro and the device turns off instead of on) you can use the shift power function to bring the device to the state that the remote thinks it was already in.

You should use the shifted Power function inside the three ToadTog commands as the KeyCode to use for the actual transmit of the native command.

jhstn58 wrote:
I want (indeed, if I understood you guys correctly, NEED) the ToadTog macro on another button so I can add it in my "Watch DVD" macro for example. I don't have or need anything on the shifted power key, so perhaps I could put the ToadTog macro there, or would I be better using a phantom key instead?

You should use either phantom keys or some other shifted keys (using another shifted key may make things easier to test, but ties up that shifted key, so you'd only want to use a shifted key for which you had no other plans).

You don't want the DiscreteOn nor DiscreteOff ToadTog commands on the shifted power key because the shifted power should be used (as described above) to transmit the native toggle command. You need two other shifted or phantom keys to hold those two ToadTogs (the discreteOn and DiscreteOff). The third ToadTog (uncondition toggle) should go on the unshifted power key.

jhstn58 wrote:

What is shift cloaking?

It is a feature of the remote, which says that if you use the shifted power key but you haven't defined the shifted power key the remote will instead use the command for the unshifted power key as defined by the upgrade. That fact lets you define the native command for shift power (unshifted) in the upgrade using one byte rather than in a keymove using 5 bytes. If that feature isn't available then you'll need that keymove to put the native command for power onto the shift-power key.
jimschott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then I created a discrete off key (09 03) and a discrete on key (89 03). I did the same thing for the DVD player, using toggle 2 (21 03 03 to track state and 21 03 and A9 03 to turn off and on respectively.

...if I understand the way you set up the toggle:
09 03 uses toggle #0 and will ForceOff 03

...but you tried to use 89 03, to ForceON, is not correct. It is missing the "off-to-on" command. Your code should look like this:
89 03 03, which will ForceON the 2nd $03 (the first $03 is the OFF command, and in ForceON, it is skipped).

As an example of ForceON and ForceOFF, use:
01 04 05, to toggle between $04 (pretend this is DiscreteOFF) and $05 (same, for DiscreteON)

and
09 04 05, which will only send the $04 command (ForceOFF w/DiscreteOFF)

or
89 04 05, which will only send the $05 command (ForceON w/DiscreteON).
In these examples, I assumed 04 and 05 are discrete OFF/ON functions for your specific device (if they exist!).

If your device does not have discrete OFF/ON functions, than you might as well stay with the simple code
01 03 03 which will simply toggle between on and off by alternating the same ($03) command.
jhstn58

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's obvious that I need to go back and start over on this extender stuff. I will make another attempt this weekend to get it right and report back. Your input has been invaluable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: