JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

discrete power codes for older onkyo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyimted wrote:
... the power ON works, but *not* the power OFF. the volume and numeric keys work as well. when i hit the power button, it simply toggles the power state. pressing the OFF button has no effect, regardless of state.

OK, you are saying the Power button or Play button acts as the Power toggle and shift-Power or Stop does nothing, right?

If so, that is my recollection of the behavior of Onkyo receivers that don't respond to discrete commands. From Off, you should try the discrete input commands (the numerals) and also every button on the OEM remote. Many receivers will turn on and set the input

Quote:
what's a 981 reset? i don't see that info in the instruction manual for the 8811. also, the very first time i connected the 8811 to ir, i downloaded the contents and saved the file as "8811 default setting". i did this knowing there was a possibility i could screw up the remote. would this file be similar to doing a 981 reset - which i assume is simply pressing the SET button, typing "981", then pressing the SET button again?

If you go to www.hifi-remote.com and look under the manual for the RS 15-1994 it will give a good description of all the hidden features in most OFA remotes without LCD displays. The 981 is known as the manufacturer's reset, and if you saved your original file before anyone attempted to program it , then it would be the same.

The proceedure is presss and HOLD the set button untill two flashes of the LED. Then 9-8-1 and four flashes of the LED. That will usually remove any programming that could cause problems.

You always want to download your current configuration first (if it works), so you could add to that configuration. Otherwise, if you were to open your "virgin" file and add an upgrade each time, you would write over any other upgrades. In your case where you are not really trying to program the 8811 it won't matter that much, but if you drop that MX500 then you have to start all over Smile
hyimted

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, you are saying the Power button or Play button acts as the Power toggle and shift-Power or Stop does nothing, right?
yep, that's exactly what's happening.
Quote:
From Off, you should try the discrete input commands (the numerals) and also every button on the OEM remote. Many receivers will turn on and set the input
no luck there either. afaik, the onkyo receiver doesn't have that sort of "automated" functionality...that would've been cool.
Quote:
You always want to download your current configuration first (if it works), so you could add to that configuration. Otherwise, if you were to open your "virgin" file and add an upgrade each time, you would write over any other upgrades.
i was wondering about that...thanks for the clarification.

so, in summary, it looks like i'm outta luck. i also did some discrete code searching over at remotecentral.com - it looks like the onkyo just doesn't have any discrete power codes.

well, on to the next project i guess. in any case, as always, thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: