JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Universal" Cable Boxes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: "Universal" Cable Boxes Reply with quote

I'd like to compile an all inclusive list of the codes used by universal cable boxes so I can compare it to the list of codes supported by ReplayTV.

So, if you are using such a box, could you please load your upgrade into the Cable (Universal) folder.

If you are using a built in code, could you please post what it is (and what the box is).

Here's a list of boxes that use the CBL/0883 code:
Apache (newer version)
Clearmaster 9000
ClearMax XXX-6000 (Chinese version)
Coolmax
Coolmax Platinum
Monster
Supermax
Supermax Platinu
V2 Masterpiece
Viewmaster VM4000
Viewmaster VM4000+
Viewmaster VM4500
Virtual Box
Vision Titanium VX4500
Vision 20/20 Plus VM4000
Vortex View

Here's a list of boxes that use the (very) old CBL/0770 code:
Apache (older version)
Viewmaster VM3800

I have the codes for the following boxes, but there's no matching UEI code:
Clearmax 2000
Clearmax 3000
Coolbx Series Avenger Plus
Ranger 5000

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:16 pm; edited 5 times in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "cable" do you mean cable or do you mean both CBL and SAT?

There is a wide selection of protocols used by digital sat tuners among the CCF files at RC. If you want to know what codes ought to be supported by Replay, that's a good source. If you want it by tuner model number it's not as good, because so many people forget to mention that device when they upload their CCF and then inside the CCF they just call it "sky", so it's easy to guess it's a sat tuner but you don't know which one.

If you want me to scan my pool of downloaded CCFs for "sky" codes, I can do that easily.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking for "off brand" cable boxes. With satellite and digital cable, you have to use the company supplied box, but with analog cable you can buy your own box on the open market if you like.

These boxes are typically not supported by universal remote companies like UEI, mainly because they've probably never heard of them.

Occassionally, we'll come across a box that uses the same signals as a supported box, which is the case with the Viewmaster 4000, which uses the same signals as Radio Shack boxes (ie, CBL/0883). This box is therefore supported by ReplayTV.

Also, there is a hack whereby you can add codes to your Replay boxes (thanks to FlipFlop and Mikeboy for that one).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got word from API, the guys who make the Viewmaster, that several of their other boxes respond to the same signals as the VM4000+

The boxes that use CBL/0883 are:
ClearMax XXX-6000
Vision Titanium VX4500
Vision 20/20 Plus
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: coolbox series avenger plus Reply with quote

CBL/0883 did not work with my coolbox Sad.

i uploaded my device upgrade file to the yahoo JP1 files. The viewmaster 4000 seems to have almost all the same keys as the coolbox, but none of the same OBCs. The one difference is that the button labels for the decoder board toggles are labelled V1/V2/V3/SP on the coolbox and MEM1/MEM2/MEM3/MEM4 on the viewmaster.

I had a viewmaster for 2 days before returning it for a coolbox. the problem with the viewmaster was that it got quite hot on the bottom. The coolbox has been left on for several months now and the box is cool to the touch. the coolbox takes about 1-2 seconds to change the channel after pressing the channel up or down button which would be somewhat annoying if it was the primary channel tuner.

The printing on the box says "Coolbx Series Avenger Plus" [sic]
Yes, they left out an "o" in the word coolbox. I guess quality is not job one wherever this thing is manufactured Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks USB, I guess the Coolbox's aren't all the same. Someone else with a "Coolbox Coolmax" says that CBL/0883 does work. The Viewmaster VM3800 and VM4000 use different codes, as do the Korean and Chinese Clearmax XXX-6000

Just FYI, the Viewmaster does run hot. I've had to replace all the capacitors in mine with 105 degree ones.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Just FYI, the Viewmaster does run hot. I've had to replace all the capacitors in mine with 105 degree ones.
Sounds like all the General Instrument engineers must now be working for Viewmaster Laughing
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: coolbox series avenger plus Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
CBL/0883 did not work with my coolbox Sad

I've since received clarification from the guy who told me that, that he really has a "Coolmax" NOT a "Coolbox".
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received word from the guys at GEC who make the Coolmax and Supermax boxes, that their boxes also use this code.
indulis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob... long time no (R)C.

Is the ReplayTV based on TiVo? If it is there is a nice howto on how to get IR commands into a Tivo at

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Howto/IRConversionAndSetup

If not a Tivo, good luck with your quest (can I ask why you're doing it?).

Cheers,

Indulis
PS thanks to everyone that has kept developing the software for JP1- had to use it again last weekend and just couldn't believe how great it is now!
Lenroc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indulis wrote:
Is the ReplayTV based on TiVo?

Hehehe... the ReplayTV is Tivo's primary competition in the U.S. Wink

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/replaytv/default.asp
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Indulis, welcome back, how's life down under?

I tried your link but it's not working right now, so I'll try it again later. Anyway, ReplayTV and Tivo are the same convept (ie, they're both PVRs) but they are made by competing companies.

When you're a PVR user it's absolutely essential that your PVR can control your cable or sat box, and the list of built in codes never includes the off brand universal boxes (although the list in the Replay 5000 series has started to include a few of them).

So, my goal here is to identify the signals that each box uses so I can compare them to regular cable codes to see if there's a match. If a match is found it means people can use that code to control their cable box. So far, we've been pretty lucky to find that about 85% of the cable boxes out there all use the same signals, which match the CBL/0883 code.

Btw, are you familiar with Darren King, the Australian guy behind this DVD web site: http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk

He's started carrying a few US models of OFA remotes (which he gets from me), so if you fancy trying someone different to your URC_7560, drop him a line.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Privacy Issues Reply with quote

RePlay and TiVo upload to their system your viewing habits so that they can make some money selling this information to anyone willling to buy it. My concern is that if they upload information that says that you are watching premium scrambled channels using a setup code for a device that is not being leased from the cable company, it will draw some attention.

For example, let's say that the local cable company uses Scientific Atlanta cable boxes, and that there is a ReplayTV setup code for Scientific Atlanta boxes, and you have therefore programmed the RePlay to send IR signals to control the Scientific Atlanta box. This won't draw any attention. But let's say your neighbor has a similar setup with the exception that he uses a Viewmaster 4000+. His ReplayTV setup code would be different from yours (assuming ReplayTV supports VM4000), and ReplayTV may send this information to someone unsavory, who realizes that your neighbor is not using his Scientific Atlanta cable box. Looking over the RePlayTV information, this unsavory character notes that your neighbor watches 10 hours of TV a day, mostly Spice1, Spice2, and the On-Demand Channels. One day you notice your neighbor being dragged out of his house in chains by the cable police Smile (You also note that his palms seem excessively hairy and that he is now using a white cane.)

In theory, even though it may be legal to own your own cable box, the fine print also says you have to notify the cable company that you are attaching this to their system. This might be enough to allow them to get a court order to visit you and see what box you have and if it unscrambles stations you do not subscribe to.

For people who are wondering what we are talking about, here is link showing pictures of universal cable boxes .
JP1Files
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Privacy Issues Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
RePlay and TiVo upload to their system your viewing habits so that they can make some money selling this information to anyone willling to buy it. My concern is that if they upload information that says that you are watching premium scrambled channels using a setup code for a device that is not being leased from the cable company, it will draw some attention.

At least in the case of TiVo, the data that is collected is anonymous. The only personal information in the data is your ZIP code (BTW, I know people that have actually examined the data stream and confirmed this), so there is no way they could figure out where you live or who you are.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve's luck is he's the only subscriber in his zip code.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: